Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking the tires, looking for a new pair of boots before next season. I want:

(a) High quality. I ride 25-30,000 kms per year and I devote most of my disposable income to and derive most of my recreational pleasure from motorcycling, so mediocre footwear is not an option.

(b) Waterproofness. I commute thru the winter too, plus get rained on during tours.

I also think I want a bit more 'technicality' in the boot than is found in the typical 'touring' boot - I do a few tracks days each year, and much of my local riding is pretty sporty.

(My current boots are BMW Allround GTX, which have been comfortable and effective, but which are quite 'generic'...)

I've been trying boots on, and I have a few possibilities in mind, but an 'out-of-left-field' choice for me here in Canada that is intriguing me is the Daytona Strive GTX (Daytonas are almost never seen in this country, altho there are quite a few riders in the USA who get them thru Helimot). Built in Germany; excellent leather; etc, etc. Great reviews (motorrad, etc). And VERY expensive: plus/minus 330 euros, which is nearly $500 Canadian. Most of the other boots I'm looking at are in the CDN $300-$400 range (US$ 200-300).

I know the Daytona Road Star GTX has a reputation for being (in the opinon of many riders) the finest touring boot on the planet, and I wondered if anyone on this site has had any experience with Daytonas of any model? And if so, how does the fit compare to say, Alpinestars? (I'm a 45 in A-stars, Dianese, Sidi, and Forma; would I be 45 in Daytona too?)

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have the GTX Gortex and best boots ever owned. Never leaked.. Very comfortable, calf adjuster works good as I have low calfs which limit a lot of boots for comfort especially with summer leathers with shin armour. I have had mine now for a few years.

I wear with my summer and textile gear and never had a issue.

Only complaint was recently being caught out in my summer leathers in a massive storm and due to my summer leathers being tucked inside, the water went straight inside the boots. Can vouch they are waterproof as I poured water out when I got home. Dried them out and gave them a good clean and A'ok.

Like my Aria helmets I don't think i will ever change.

So if you try them on and like the fit you'll have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
I've ridden through some horrendous rain in the pyrenee's and alps. GTX's have never let a drop in. All day comfortable on or off the bike. Feet don't get to sweaty in the heat either.
Will be getting another pair if I ever wear these out !

Recommended ++++

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have been told you can send them back to be soled and they should come back as good as new. Think my sole is halfway there now. So maybe in another 5 years....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all! so, pretty fine, then! I've been getting similar comments from a few folk on my local forum too. might just have to spend the big bucks...

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have Daytona boots and I won't be buying any other make in the future!! Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ thanks for the comments. and Fordzoid, while I've seen your posts in the past, I only now noticed that you are member number NINE! holy moses man, you must have gotten your CB off the Ark! do you still have the same bike?

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
^^^ thanks for the comments. and Fordzoid, while I've seen your posts in the past, I only now noticed that you are member number NINE! holy moses man, you must have gotten your CB off the Ark! do you still have the same bike?
He's never owned a CB1000R.

He's a very strange man indeed.

He lives in Belgium....ffs, and has a dungeon ! Lol.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just bought a pair of Strive GTXs.

Normally buy sport boots(SMX plus, Dainese Axial Pros) great boots, loads of protection but not waterproof and not designed to be mile munchers.
Wanted a boot that is primarily designed for the road in any weather but enough protection for the odd track day.

Also tried a pair of Dainese Fulcrum Goretex, wonderful boot instantly comfortable but zero protection, you might as well use rubber wellies!
I think the Daytona Strive strikes the right balance of protection and commuting function, even with my leathers tucked into the boots they let in zero water. OK looks wise, not storm trooper or commuting blandness

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any comments on fit / sizing? I'm a 45 in Alpinestars, Dianese, Sidi, Forma... but a 44 in the BMW Allround. do Daytonas vary from 'the norm' at all?

·
Registered
663 Posts
any comments on fit / sizing? I'm a 45 in Alpinestars, Dianese, Sidi, Forma... but a 44 in the BMW Allround. do Daytonas vary from 'the norm' at all?
Yes I'm normally a 41 in alpinestars and Dainese, I would say 41 in Daytona Strive is more like 42/42.5. Not a problem though put some comfy insoles and now fit like a glove. I guess bigger is better than too small.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
As Gargy so nicely pointed out I've never owned a CB1000r Doser. The launch coincided with me buying a house so I had no cash.This site was started by some ex Honda Hornet riders and they begged me to join to give it some credibility. I still ride my lovely Hornet 900.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My dad has Daytona boots and says they are the best boots he has ever had and he has had a few pairs in 40 years. lol. I think Michael Dunlop wears them for racing at the TT so they must be good. The bike cops over here use Daytona boots but not sure which type they are, they must be good though cos they are out in all weathers in them. Time to unleash the wallet for its yearly outing. lol

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I've been monitoring this thread since I'm also in the market for new boots and want something waterproof that will still be waterproof 2 years from now. I am thinking of going with Daytona this time instead of Dainese since the TRQ-Tour is the only thing they sell that has the features I want, but the design around the toe is stupidly poor and will not survive daily use. I also prefer to have a toe slider on the boots.

I am interested in the Strive GTX since it seems like a good balance between sports oriented protection and touring features like Goretex. Why not the Evos? Because, I'm broke....I want one of the Evos, but it ain't happening right now.

My main concern is fitment. I will have to order them from Germany, so sending them back for another size will be expensive and take FOREVER. Can anyone else offer fitment feedback? I am a 44 in Dainese TRQ and a 44.5 in Alpinestars Tech 5s, both fit perfectly in all areas of my foot and both are very comfortable (or at least as comfy as a Tech 5 can be). Will I be OK ordering size 44 in Daytonas?? The info on the Strive boots is limited and I have only found three of their models sold in this country, so far. (Road Star, M-Star, Lady Star) All of them lean too far to the touring side of the line-up for me.

My other big concern is ankle support. Anybody know how resistant the Strive boots are to side-to-side bending?

Maybe I should just wait and save up for one of the Goretex Evos....damnit

I HATE shopping for boots or gloves over the internet!

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
Sizing wise, I am a Euro 42/ UK 8 in all footwear.

Italian stuff always tends to be on the small side, but I got Euro 42 Daytona GTX boots, and they are perfect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a uk size 10, euro 44 and have just ordered a pair of the Strive GTXs in 44. Should be here end of the week so I'll report back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Strives offer some protection in the ankle, but this will be nothing compared to the Dainese TRQ. My ankle limits the movement in the boot unlike my previous Daineses where the d-axial system restricted excessive movement

As said IMO opinion Daytona 41 feel bigger than the dainese 41. The soles feel chunky, so in comparison you lose a little finesse with sports oriented boots.

Used my Strives for about 1000miles now in the rain and not let a drop in, got them from Germany for a little over £200 bargain!! My only gripe is how the leather flap velcroes over the zip, a little untidy IMO

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried all possible boots and opted for Sidi Adventure, great stuff!
Safe and good comfort in all weather conditions. High price but worth it!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My main concern is fitment. I will have to order them from Germany, so sending them back for another size will be expensive and take FOREVER.
yup. a big concern for me too. but there could be a solution:
https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/default.asp

Helimot is the US source for Daytona boots. they do not carry the Strive (currently), but I have little doubt they could order a pair for you (and/or me). since the retail price in Europe is about 10 euros less than the Road Star GTX, you might expect roughly the same difference over here (Road Star GTX is US$420 at Helimot). I have sent an email inquiry directly to Daytona.de to ask if the Road Star GTX and Strive GTX fit the same. some local Canadian Daytona buyers use Helimot, and simply get them to send out two or three pair, then keep the size that fits and return the others - Helmut seems fine with this. if the Strive is the same fit as the Road Star, use the RS from Helimot as the fit guide, then get Helimot to bring in exactly what you want. depending on the response from Daytona.de, I'll do the same, perhaps thru helimot but more likely thru the Canadian dealer, riderschoice.ca / John McBride. no need to order from overseas...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tried all possible boots and opted for Sidi Adventure, great stuff!
Safe and good comfort in all weather conditions. High price but worth it!

lovely boots, agreed.

but I'd prefer:
(a ) more leather, less plastic,
(b ) closed welt rather than stitched welt, and
(c ) no exterior buckles.

to each, their own!

p.s. the other choices more readily available here in North America are the Alpinestars SM-X 6 GTX and/or SM-X Plus GTX. seems hard to get the former in North America (the SM-X 6 without GTX fits me beautifully), but a friend has a pair of the latter, in my size too. also fits beautifully. but I still would like to minimize the plastic... I went thru the plastic boot era while I was mountaineering over 35 years, and it was an incredible pleasure to come back to leather!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts