Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow, that looks very shiny!!
Keen to hear how it changes the sound.

Are DJ doing stock, slip-on, full system?
Thanks man

I imagine with these installed I’ll likely run the slip-on with the baffle in. I don’t like my bikes to be too quiet but too loud is no bueno too.
Dynojet are going to be using the parts in combination to produce multiple maps. They were keen to wait until I had the headers as well.

I’ll post up graphs and pictures of the install of the PC5 once I get the bike back. The Anvil should be pretty much sorted ready for playtime next year, Sunday blasts and a couple of road trips that are already planned.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dropped off My CB with Richard at DynoJet today. Great chat about the possibilities for it and he was just as interested in me to see how it was delivering the power in comparison the the previous generation model that they've done loads of work on. He's going to be keeping me up to date on the progress over the next week or so.

Looking forward to seeing and feeling the results...

Also got myself a 1mm thick carbon fibre plate to make a few aesthetic details for it too ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
After seeing the carbon fibre in-fills on the Pedrosa tribute CB1000R I thought I’d get busy. Some 1mm carbon fibre panel, masking tape for templates, Dremel with a fine cutting disc and some 1500 wet & dry.

Pretty pleased with them. I’ll fit them with some waterproof silicon when I get my bike back from Dynojet next week.

75C3CEB2-3EE2-43C4-A36C-1C8D6B8D87F9.jpeg

1B550DB0-03AD-4B48-97F6-5C58058A17EB.jpeg

·
Registered
178 Posts
After seeing the carbon fibre in-fills on the Pedrosa tribute CB1000R I thought I’d get busy. Some 1mm carbon fibre panel, masking tape for templates, Dremel with a fine cutting disc and some 1500 wet & dry.

Pretty pleased with them. I’ll fit them with some waterproof silicon when I get my bike back from Dynojet next week.

View attachment 45344

View attachment 45346
Hi Crispy

Just how easy was this 1mm thick carbon fibre to cut please ? How are the edges ?

I fancy having a stab at making a meter visor using 3mm thick carbon fibre

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Crispy

Just how easy was this 1mm thick carbon fibre to cut please ? How are the edges ?

I fancy having a stab at making a meter visor using 3mm thick carbon fibre
The 1mm is extremely easy to cut and finish by hand. I’d most likely either cut the 3mm on a bandsaw or get it cut on a CNC to ensure the cut sides remain clean and 90 degrees. I’m currently designing and making a small clear screen to protect the back of the speedometer. Going to get the bracket laser cut from 1mm steel and powder coat. I’d be interested in seeing what you come up with for yours

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 1mm is extremely easy to cut and finish by hand. I’d most likely either cut the 3mm on a bandsaw or get it cut on a CNC to ensure the cut sides remain clean and 90 degrees. I’m currently designing and making a small clear screen to protect the back of the speedometer. Going to get the bracket laser cut from 1mm steel and powder coat. I’d be interested in seeing what you come up with for yours
Don't wait to see what I come up with. I'm waiting to see how you get on :)

If you can show a diagram of what you have in mind with this bracket, and screen, then maybe a few of us might be interested in having one made and we can all benefit from a multiple order ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Don't wait to see what I come up with. I'm waiting to see how you get on :)

If you can show a diagram of what you have in mind with this bracket, and screen, then maybe a few of us might be interested in having one made and we can all benefit from a multiple order ?
As soon as my bike is back I’ll be getting on with the design. I’m hoping to make something that’s relatively unobtrusive and more about the protection of the clocks than about any kind of wind protection. I have a provisional shaped screen that I’ve made from an old Triumph Street Triple bikini fairing. It’s a nice shape that fits the headlight, finishes at the top of the clocks and curves over the round section. It’s a slight compound curve so looks purposeful and not just a flat piece. If that makes sense?

I’ll post up pictures as soon as I make a little more progress.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Just reading about the weight savings oldcorallas has after installing the Arrow Pro Race SS Slip On , 3.1kg saving on the end can alone is significant! Thought it'd be worth totting up the savings on my setup too. I knew the Akra headers and slip on Road can would have a decent saving. Akrapovic figures are:

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 09.03.04.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 09.03.23.png

Savings of 2.3kg for the can and 3.7kg for the headers is a whopping 6kg total and with another 3kg saved with the removal of the stock registration plate holder too. Approximately 9kg lighter. Well chuffed with that. Powercommander and custom map along with the weight savings should be very noticeable.

Next could well be a Lithium Ion battery. Anyone know the weight of the stock battery? A claimed 1.5kg difference claimed on CB1000RShop

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 09.16.44.png

I'm pretty sure an Antigravity 8 cell would be lighter still

·
Registered
588 Posts
I imagine with these installed I’ll likely run the slip-on with the baffle in. I don’t like my bikes to be too quiet but too loud is no bueno too.
after seeing the difference between the Arrow and the Akra, i think you made the right choice in Akra + headers.
I reckon with a minimal reflective baffle, the Akra can will make the sound tolerable.
it has decent can volume, but the stock baffle may be a bit restrictive with the headers? they are always tunable with a change to diameter and length.
can you take a photo later of the baffle, and down the can?

The Arrow can i reckon has no chance of being quiet AND flowing with headers :p

Savings of 2.3kg for the can and 3.7kg for the headers is a whopping 6kg total and with another 3kg saved with the removal of the stock registration plate holder too. Approximately 9kg lighter. Well chuffed with that. Powercommander and custom map along with the weight savings should be very noticeable.

Next could well be a Lithium Ion battery. Anyone know the weight of the stock battery?
I'm pretty sure an Antigravity 8 cell would be lighter still
9kg is 4% of bike weight :)

Yuasa say YTZ10S weighs 3.2kg (7.04lbs)

AG8 is 1.56lbs (0.710kg), so a saving of about 2.5kg!
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/small-case/ag-801/

the AntiGravity YTZ10 case direct replacements are available in 8Ahr (1.9lbs) and 12Ahr (2.25lbs, 1kg)
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/oem-size/ytz10-8/
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/oem-size/ytz10-12/

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Now that is interesting!
It's the smoothness of the curves for all iterations of header and end can that I'm impressed with. Richard said to me yesterday that the difference between the stock can and the Akra is very small. The biggest advantage is the loss of weight and better aesthetics.

·
Registered
588 Posts
that can probably be said for all cans available or possible (although those with tiny baffles probably hurt a bit). aesthetics, weight and change in tone of sound only..

reminder of akra pipes+can(no baffle) curve from their site DJ tune is better.

yeah, the system as a whole is pretty well sorted stock, for what it was designed to do.

to me those curves suggest the stock header diameter/length (for the rest of the motor), is pretty good.
that the heads/cams/inlet are somewhat different from old to new (tweaked for slightly higher end), but are still the main restrictions.. (restriction is a strong word.. motor was designed this way, and stock tuning matches the hardware choices pretty well)
that to pick up a lot more bottom end probably needs something like H pipes in the primaries, but would affect top end... but there was still a decent amount picked up down there from tuning (vs Euro4)

i suspect there will probably be more benefit at part throttle and transitions, than at WOT...

edit: oh, and also shows that the cats and the stock breadbox.. are actually not that restrictive... (but heavy)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Huh. Would be nice to get that max power that holds over close to 2,000 rpm while not taking that hit at the already weakened bottom end, *and* getting that torque boost betweek 4500 and 6.

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW.

·
Registered
588 Posts
That reminds me.. stock bike feels like there is a lot of resonance (and vibration) up to about 4 or 4.5, then it smooths out.

Perhaps that resonance is deliberate to fatten the very low end? (Acoustic tuning? Aggressive spark timing?)
Without it, curves look more like normal motor coming on cam higher up.

The full system may have shifted that resonance bump up a thousand revs or so?

Is primary header length shorter on the Akra pipes? (Head to 4-2 junction)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got The Anvil back from DynoJet for a short while before it goes back in the New Year to have it's final MAP. Until then it's time for a few cosmetic tweaks and tickles.

First up I have had a couple of exhaust outlet mesh pieces laser cut out of stainless steel. I took the style from the current trend on MotoGP exhaust outlets. I love the look but not sure whether to go for the plain hexagon pattern or the one with the Akrapovic stylized scorpion. What do you think? I'm swaying toward the plain hexagon pattern...

Plain.jpg

...or...

AKRA LOGO.jpg

Tomorrow (or the day after) some little carbon accent pieces...

21 - 40 of 127 Posts