Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Old model '09 Bike is currently at 50k miles and just put a new chain on.
Might be my imagination and will do a proper test later*
But has anyone had an issue where the chain loosens alot making me think the pinch bolt isn't clamping down properly.

Obv I'm using a torque wrench and tightening up to spec (same spec as I have done for 6 yrs)

*Will measure distance from wheel axle to pivot point ride around and remeasure.

Hopefully its all in my head

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It has been a while but I think i had a similar experience when I changed chain and sprockets. Once I'd done a couple or 3k it settled down.
I put it down to bedding in.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Chain and sprockets or just the chain ??

If just the chain then the sprockets can stretch it and shorten its life.---:eek:eek

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Old model '09 Bike is currently at 50k miles and just put a new chain on.
Might be my imagination and will do a proper test later*
But has anyone had an issue where the chain loosens alot making me think the pinch bolt isn't clamping down properly.

Obv I'm using a torque wrench and tightening up to spec (same spec as I have done for 6 yrs)

*Will measure distance from wheel axle to pivot point ride around and remeasure.

Hopefully its all in my head

Thoughts?
Do you spin the wheel after tightening? The chain has some tight and lose spots and I keep having to turn the wheel a few times after tightening.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Do you spin the wheel after tightening? The chain has some tight and lose spots and I keep having to turn the wheel a few times after tightening.
As he's fitted a new chain AND sprockets then there shouldn't be any loose or tight spots. The chain might need a small adjustment at the start but should then stay at the same tension for ages unless the rider likes to do wheelies often or makes a practise of having traffic light Grand Prixs with other riders. Lol.

As for tightening the clamp. It shouldn't need too much pressure and maybe Honda gives a torque figure for it.--:notme

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah manual has a torque setting that I use.
its prob just the new chain stretching as people have said. will keep an eye and measure it once a week (100miles) to see

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Are you accounting for initial chain stretch?
It would be interesting to know where you think that stretch occurs.

Obviously can't be the steel.---:notme

The first 20 years of my life I spent in precision engineering in a tool room. ( Tool maker. ) Working to tenths of a thou.

Never found any stretchy steel though. Wear yes, but stretch, no.------Might do if you hung half a dozen cars on it.--:rolleyes:---1,000 hp motor bike might do it though too.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Absolutely, steel does not stretch (providing forces on it are within the chains elasticated limits)
There are over 100 joint pins on the average chain.
Not sure about the CB, but my Hornet9 has 114 links/pins.
The pins are not an interferance fit, and there fore there's a very small amount of play on each.
X100 suppose it can be noticable?
Fit new chain, ride about 100miles, will nearly always need a little slack taking up.

·
Registered
144 Posts

The first 20 years of my life I spent in precision engineering in a tool room. ( Tool maker. ) Working to tenths of a thou.

Never found any stretchy steel though. Wear yes, but stretch, no.------Might do if you hung half a dozen cars on it.--:rolleyes:---1,000 hp motor bike might do it though too.
Well yes, "chain stretch" is just what we call it when the pins and bushes wear, obviously the side plates don't get longer. There will probably be some initial "wear" due to polishing of material surfaces.

elongation.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts

Like you Colvert I have spent a lifetime in engineering. I fear I have to respectfully contradict you in that all materials will "stretch" and take on a permanent set if taken beyond their tensile limit of proportionality. I think you acknoledge that with your annalargy of "half a dozen cars".
So if sufficient force is applied to a component it will take on a permanent extension. Hooks law!

From my hazy memory a sudenly applied load can be up to the cube (power of 3) of the nominal load whereas an explosively applied load can be many times that power. Pulling a wheely on a 1k bike could easily create a suddenly applied load to the chain. Repeated violent acceleration and deceleration creates wear through friction but also alternating stress which will eventually lead to metal fatigue. Metal fatigue will reduce the tensile limit of proportionality thus increasing the likelyhood of a permanent set. Therefore, depending on the way a bike is ridden there could be a combination of factors involved in chain wear. Undoubtedly wear on the pins and journals will make up the bulk of it but link plate stretch cannot be disregarded completely I would suggest.

Having said all of that I would very much doubt if the chain would have received such heinous punishment in 100 miles to result in either rapid wear or link plate stretch, unless of course it is being used as a stunt bike ridden by someone with the finesse of a lump hammer.:D Therefore I agree completely that initial readjustment will be due to the bedding-in process and nothing more.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts