Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of using ceramic grease as an chain lubricant .the pot states it greases anything and is heat and water resistant and zero corossion and great adhesive specs .what do you think or who tried this . its a 500gr pot so i think apliying with avsmall brush thinking of kroon-oil.com ceramic grease

·
Registered
90 Posts
This ceramic grease is used as an anti-seize compound. I will bet that it is too thick to properly lubricate the o-rings in a chain. If you were able to properly lube the chain with this grease it would attract all sorts of dirt, gunk, sand, grime, and everything else that would kill a o-ring chain. There are just too many negatives to warrant trying to lube the chain with grease.

This is what I have been using. http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

I don't know if it is available in Europe.

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
What I've found that really does save your chain, is to regularly clean it.

I use SDOC chain lube and chain cleaner

At least every 500-1000 miles (or 1-2 a month) I apply the cleaner, agitate and then wash off the grime link by link.

Apply the chain lube and you're good to go, topping up the lube before each ride (or at last every 2-300 miles)

I've hardly had to adjust the chain (Renthal gold - which does come pre-stretched). I've done 5k on it and there's absolutely tons of life in it.

Your chain also looks good too !

In terms of lube, from personal experience I'd only recommend a premium chain lube spray or SAE90 gear oil (although the latter does fling a lot)

My mate has a Scott Oiler, but never cleaned the chain - got a reasonable lifespan out of it, but the sprocket teeth and links were all knackered as the grime had just built up into a black paste over time.

If you do a lot of miles the Oiler is a good choice - I did a short touring holiday in the IoM this year and lubing the chain on the road with only a sidestand is a right royal pain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking so to but cant help thinking it would not hold dirt as much as regular chainlube
Wil use the normal spray for now but when the chain is due a change i wil test the adhesive en dirt abilitys the O rings could be manuai done with a paintbrusch up en down in en out en it wil be fine with no spil like the spray does

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
I was thinking so to but cant help thinking it would not hold dirt as much as regular chainlube
Wil use the normal spray for now but when the chain is due a change i wil test the adhesive en dirt abilitys the O rings could be manuai done with a paintbrusch up en down in en out en it wil be fine with no spil like the spray does
to be honest, if I was you, I'd give your current chain a good scrub and try it before you replace it - as it's a bit of an unknown it might be best not to try it on a brand new chain ? Just a thought ....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the plan i stil think this should do the job but it seems i wil be the first to try cant find any other forums where its even mentioned for use one the brake caliper bolds or pads but i know they use it at the honda car dealer for this
to be honest, if I was you, I'd give your current chain a good scrub and try it before you replace it - as it's a bit of an unknown it might be best not to try it on a brand new chain ? Just a thought ....

·
Administrator
7,120 Posts
The reason the manufacturers like to specify gear oil [or good quality chain lube] is because of its ability to resist breaking down at the roller/sprocket interface and always maintain a thin film between the metal surfaces which calls for 'EP' [Extreme pressure] capabilities. I reckon most quality lubes are largely made from gear oil with some additives to reduce fling etc - and I'd never ever use a 'dry' chain lube , bit of a contradiction that eh ? :thumbup

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,020 Posts
------------------. :thumbup

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
663 Posts
C3 Dry Ceramic Lube - Muc-Off Found this seems they use ceramic grease for bicycles so not such a crazy idea after all
I dunno that stuff is designed for .25 hp motors ie a bloke, for 100hp+ you need some proper lube.

I spent a lot of cash on my chain and sprockets so I would want to use only proven lube - I use Motul BTW. Lube goes a long way, my 400ml has lasted at least 4k miles and I relube every 250 miles or so. It's the cleaners that work out expensive.

I use cheap as chips paraffin every 1k miles but rinse that off with proper motul chain cleaner, my chain is like new, and apart from the initial stretching has require zero adjustment,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts