Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an update with the starting issues on my CB ie bike turns over but doesn't fire at all for sometime.
I decided to try starting the CB with the side stand up and it has started first pop every day for the last a week and a half,including the last few days where I unbolted the side stand switch and taped it up with the same positive result.
I also checked the 3 way diode with a multi meter using the diode function and it checks out OK.
To me this doesn't really make sense because the way I understand it is that the side stand switch should only interrupt the starting circuit if the bike is not in neutral and the clutch not pulled in?
I've put the switch back on today so next week I'll monitor the starting to prove my theory.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
2wheeler---------------With things you've checked it has to be something to do with the way the switch is working.

I test my switch regularly. If I intend to stop and get off the bike I push down the stand with the engine running and the bike in first gear.

The engine stops immediately and as I'm in gear it can't roll off the stand.

Keep us posted on your problem.-- ( And how you've solved it.---:thumbup )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update 20 Mar 16

After fitting the diode the bike have the same thing all over again, except eventually it will catch and its easier to start.

Last week I noticed if I hold the front brake when pressing the ignition button the bike will start no problem.

I have then taken the starter switch on the handle bar off and have a look inside, it looked fine with no corrosion but i sprayed some ACF50 on the contact incase theres places i can't see have corrosion (ACF 50 is safe to use on electric component). My theory is the kill switch circuit got corrosion that inhibit the ignition of the engine.

This seems to solve the problem and the bike start first crank over so far for the 2 times I tried (completely cold engine). Hope this help any of you experience the same problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man there's nothing worse than chasing down little pia gremlins like this. I feel for you. Thanks for all your info. I've definitely subscribed to this. Good luck I hope you've fix it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hopefully that's the end of it for you.

FWIW, I also recently replaced my kill switch for an intermittent no-crank issue. My problem was different from yours, though, as my bike's engine wouldn't even spin over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
The reason is too low voltage, if you have a good battery, clean the ground contacts (left side of the fuel tank) and remove the starter, clean the gaps on the commutator, align the commutator and pour out the powder. The starter is 100% problematic if the battery is new and the ground contacts are clean. Unfortunately, removing the starter is shit. The motorcycle did not start on the hot starter, short circuits on it + temperature lowered the voltage by a few millivolts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Hi
The reason is too low voltage, if you have a good battery, clean the ground contacts (left side of the fuel tank) and remove the starter, clean the gaps on the commutator, align the commutator and pour out the powder. The starter is 100% problematic if the battery is new and the ground contacts are clean. Unfortunately, removing the starter is shit. The motorcycle did not start on the hot starter, short circuits on it + temperature lowered the voltage by a few millivolts
Posts a bit late. 4 years old.--Most of the above posters no longer visit the forum.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts