Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,020 Posts
I had chain tighted after 120 miles. And now just before 600 miles First service due it needs doing again?
Do you have the weight of the bike on the wheels when you tension the chain??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Support your motorcycle securely and raise the rear wheel off the ground using a hoist.
A hoist?...kinda inconvenient if you're touring several hundred miles from home?

I would expect to see this type of chain question on FB....but on an established forum? It's a simple job. Anyone who finds chain adjustment complicated should be asking themselves if are they endangering themselves or others riding. It's one of the most basic motorcycle maintenance proceedures, it should be properly understood before you start riding.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yup, the NSC is not as user friendly as the old CB1000R
Odd that you should mention a hoist....when I bought mine, Honda UK had no idea about stands to use, so I emailed Honda Japan. They recommended a hoist.. FFS!
;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
A hoist?...kinda inconvenient if you're touring several hundred miles from home?

I would expect to see this type of chain question on FB....but on an established forum? It's a simple job. Anyone who finds chain adjustment complicated should be asking themselves if are they endangering themselves or others riding. It's one of the most basic motorcycle maintenance proceedures, it should be properly understood before you start riding.
Everyone has to learn at some point- also it’s a different method for this bike than others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone has to learn at some point- also it’s a different method for this bike than others.
Agree 100% - it requires a spanner that's not readily available in the US - I purchased a used bike, and I thought the previous owner lost the tool kit, but it turned out that it was never part of the standard equipment (or at least, that's what I'm reading).

Additionally, the bearing holder bolts are tucked in deep inside, and not very easy to get hold of. My bike (2018) has the license plate kit, so not super easy to do.

Again, would love a video explaining the process to us mechanically challenged folks, but for this particular model, year, and with the license plate kit. I couldn't find one.

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
Yup, when checking the slack, but when adjusting:
3. Support your motorcycle securely and raise the rear wheel off the ground using a hoist.
I know I am dipping into this thread a little late. I'm going to check the service manual I have at home. I don't remember step 3 being in there for chain adjustment.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
406 Posts
Turn the axle bearing holder using the equipped tool...
LOL, what the hell does that mean? :ROFLMAO:

Good luck checking the "free wheel rotation" from the sidestand.

·
Registered
05 919; 14 CB1000R; 18 CB1000R
171 Posts
Turn the axle bearing holder using the equipped tool...
LOL, what the hell does that mean? :ROFLMAO:

Good luck checking the "free wheel rotation" from the sidestand.
I usually just pick it up and rock it back and forth to make sure the bike doesn't require an Olympic weight lifter to move it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts