What do you guys think?

• Its a fun bike but get a full fairing sport bike for track stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Im so glad i found this forum, I am new here. I have a cb1000r and i am in love with it! Can't wait to upgrade to the 2018 generation but mines 2012! My Question is how does your bike fair in the twisties? Can you keep up with fellow sport bike riders? Or is this bike more casual-based? So far I'm in love - always had a honda. I sold my cbr1000rr for this bike after I rode it and instantly fell in love

Heres a clip of me in the twisties trying to keep up
Please let me know what you guys think
I am willing to consider a second bike full fairing sport for track

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have a CBR and the CB. I've upgraded and tuned the suspension on both.

I've never put a stopwatch to them on twisties, but I'd say that the CB is just as fast as the CBR until speeds get over 100mph..

The CB takes much less energy to ride fast vs the CBR.

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,690 Posts
DC, I'd agree with Big One's comments. In the real world, on real roads, a CB is just as fast as a CBR, or any other bike ( well, except when the road straightens!). The plain fact is, you just can't ride THAT fast out there is the free world.
BTW dude, work on holding your line. Watch your video with a critical eye. You 'wander'... a lot... ( sorry, but you asked "what do you guys think"... I'm not trying to be a jerk... just sayin what I see..)

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
BTW dude, work on holding your line. Watch your video with a critical eye. You 'wander'... a lot... ( sorry, but you asked "what do you guys think"... I'm not trying to be a jerk... just sayin what I see..)
Yeah practice your own ride, your own skill. Look to be as smooth as possible. Spending your days catching your seemingly crazy friends is the wrong sort of stress.

·
Registered
192 Posts
BTW dude, work on holding your line. Watch your video with a critical eye. You 'wander'... a lot...
looks like rider is looking down the tarmac.

@DraculasCorner look ahead of you, never look down.

i started on a 600 and always arrive late when riding with my buddies. ride your own pace.
now they have to keep up with me on my '18 CB1000R while they are on a '12 CBR1000RR and a Panigale 1299. but it's a different story on highways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone! Im so glad i found this forum, I am new here. I have a cb1000r and i am in love with it! Can't wait to upgrade to the 2018 generation but mines 2012! My Question is how does your bike fair in the twisties? Can you keep up with fellow sport bike riders? Or is this bike more casual-based? So far I'm in love - always had a honda. I sold my cbr1000rr for this bike after I rode it and instantly fell in love

Heres a clip of me in the twisties trying to keep up
Please let me know what you guys think
I am willing to consider a second bike full fairing sport for track
Crotch rocket is different aerodynamically so cant really compare, i used to have 04 CBR1000RR and i liked it, but for long ride its not very comfortable, so just like you did i sold it and got myself 2015 CB1000R, and i love it, comfortable ride, fast enough. i do miss the CBR1000RR sometimes, a perfect scenario would be having more than one type of bike. I think the the twisty road, if would help if you familiar with it or if you can see the rider in front, in your case its funny they just left you behind. Also maybe practice more riding in the twisty road to get used to leaning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Crotch rocket is different aerodynamically so cant really compare, i used to have 04 CBR1000RR and i liked it, but for long ride its not very comfortable, so just like you did i sold it and got myself 2015 CB1000R, and i love it, comfortable ride, fast enough. i do miss the CBR1000RR sometimes, a perfect scenario would be having more than one type of bike. I think the the twisty road, if would help if you familiar with it or if you can see the rider in front, in your case its funny they just left you behind. Also maybe practice more riding in the twisty road to get used to leaning.
I just got back from Vancouver Washington visiting family, went for a ride with some friends, it was fun

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your bike is insanely beautiful man! Wow great job!! MIght Copy your build- Thank you for the great advice, I do find myself missing my Cbr's power here and there but like you said the cb1000r is more than enough
Thanks Corner, it was a old pic, i just upgraded the position lights, led turn signals front and rear and added more foglights, check it out, you can tell im obsessed with lights lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Your bike is insanely beautiful man! Wow great job!! MIght Copy your build- Thank you for the great advice, I do find myself missing my Cbr's power here and there but like you said the cb1000r is more than enough
As an owner of both CBR and CB 1000, i can say that if you feel you are missing power:

1) you might be being deceived by smooth delivery
2) but if it really is a lack of power, drop a gear 😄

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DC, I'd agree with Big One's comments. In the real world, on real roads, a CB is just as fast as a CBR, or any other bike ( well, except when the road straightens!). The plain fact is, you just can't ride THAT fast out there is the free world.
I 100% agree man, and no offense taken at all! Idk why but I'm all over the place and idk my vision shifts alot, I'll take all the advice I can get. I appreciate you bringing it up because I thought I was the only one that noticed.... Any advice would be dope

·
Registered
164 Posts
I 100% agree man, and no offense taken at all! Idk why but I'm all over the place and idk my vision shifts alot, I'll take all the advice I can get. I appreciate you bringing it up because I thought I was the only one that noticed.... Any advice would be dope
Hi,

1) NEVER feel like you need to try and 'keep up with your friends'. If your friends are saying you're too slow, find new people to ride with. You won't become a better rider that way.
You need to ride within your comfort zone. Ride the roads you like at a comfortable speed until you get to know every corner, every dip, every divit, every turnout. Then and only then, you can go a bit faster each time. I learned to go fast by following advanced level riders (after learning the road). I watched their body position, their lane position entering and exiting corners. Where and when they hit the brakes, how hard, for how long. Also, a couple of track days with an instructor are invaluable!

2) I saw some REALLY STUPID blind passes made by guys in your vid. I'm glad you didn't follow them. ONLY make passes when you can see what's down the road ahead of you.
Crossing over the double yellow line, especially in a blind turn, around cars, is about the WORST thing you can do. That's one of the ways riders die.
If you can't stay within the lines, you're going to fast for your ability. SLOW DOWN!

3) Your throttle input is all over the place. You want all your control inputs to be smooth. Throttle, brakes, handlebar input, stay away from herky-jerky inputs. Smooth and steady is what you want.

As for the looking around, that's fine if you're sightseeing. When you're on a twisty 2 lane road going fast, stay focused on what you're doing.

I also had an 08 CBR1000RR, full on race bike. On my CB, I can basically keep up with anyone until we get well over 100. You should see the look on guys faces when I pass them sitting upright on my Corbin sofa seat. No knee dragging required:p

Stay safe and ride the wheels off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

1) NEVER feel like you need to try and 'keep up with your friends'. If your friends are saying you're too slow, find new people to ride with. You won't become a better rider that way.
You need to ride within your comfort zone. Ride the roads you like at a comfortable speed until you get to know every corner, every dip, every divit, every turnout. Then and only then, you can go a bit faster each time. I learned to go fast by following advanced level riders (after learning the road). I watched their body position, their lane position entering and exiting corners. Where and when they hit the brakes, how hard, for how long. Also, a couple of track days with an instructor are invaluable!

2) I saw some REALLY STUPID blind passes made by guys in your vid. I'm glad you didn't follow them. ONLY make passes when you can see what's down the road ahead of you.
Crossing over the double yellow line, especially in a blind turn, around cars, is about the WORST thing you can do. That's one of the ways riders die.
If you can't stay within the lines, you're going to fast for your ability. SLOW DOWN!

3) Your throttle input is all over the place. You want all your control inputs to be smooth. Throttle, brakes, handlebar input, stay away from herky-jerky inputs. Smooth and steady is what you want.

As for the looking around, that's fine if you're sightseeing. When you're on a twisty 2 lane road going fast, stay focused on what you're doing.

I also had an 08 CBR1000RR, full on race bike. On my CB, I can basically keep up with anyone until we get well over 100. You should see the look on guys faces when I pass them sitting upright on my Corbin sofa seat. No knee dragging required:p

Stay safe and ride the wheels off.
Hey, Thank you so much for the advice. I am thinking of changing throttle back to stock ( have to order I bought my CB like this) so I can be smoother. I took a course once to learn how to corner and the instructor said my biggest mistake is my throttle control, I let off way too much mid-turn and that's basically braking! That's very encouraging though hearing that you are able to keep up, Im going to definitely keep practising and do a track day in the near future! Just need to buy boots that go over my suit and I'm set!

Ride safe man

p.s I'd love to see your bike! Is there a place on this Forum where I can scroll through pictures of the cb1000r? I am trying to get ideas to make mine stand out

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
I took a course once to learn how to corner and the instructor said my biggest mistake is my throttle control, I let off way too much mid-turn and that's basically braking!
Obviously on the track we brake going into turns. What I do on twisty roads is enter the corner at the same speed I want to be at on the apex, so I use maintenance throttle, just enough to keep slack out of the chain. Once I hit the apex I roll on the throttle. Generally I enter the turn at double the posted recommended speed and maintain that to the apex. YMMV

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey, Thank you so much for the advice. I am thinking of changing throttle back to stock ( have to order I bought my CB like this) so I can be smoother. I took a course once to learn how to corner and the instructor said my biggest mistake is my throttle control, I let off way too much mid-turn and that's basically braking! That's very encouraging though hearing that you are able to keep up, Im going to definitely keep practising and do a track day in the near future! Just need to buy boots that go over my suit and I'm set!

Ride safe man

p.s I'd love to see your bike! Is there a place on this Forum where I can scroll through pictures of the cb1000r? I am trying to get ideas to make mine stand out
Here's a thread with some mods I've done. It begins...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Obviously on the track we brake going into turns. What I do on twisty roads is enter the corner at the same speed I want to be at on the apex, so I use maintenance throttle, just enough to keep slack out of the chain. Once I hit the apex I roll on the throttle. Generally I enter the turn at double the posted recommended speed and maintain that to the apex. YMMV
Yeah, where I ride (Angeles Forest) I rarely use my brakes during a ride (unless I'm really charging) It's all downshifts and engine braking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts