Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adjusted my chain I thought I would share the process incase anyone is thinking of doing theirs.
You wont need to take wheel off I'm having a tire fitted

Chain tension 25 to 35 mm is acceptable 30mm being ideal
Loosen the pinch bolt on the hub. Then use your chain adjuster tool it should be in the tool kit under the pillion seat
push down on the tool to lossen the chain and lift to tighten when your happy with tension tighten the hub pinch bolt to 74 NM and your done.
Check the chain wear indicator and replace chain if need
Check the chain for damage & lube if needed

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
449 Posts
So on my 2014 (purchased new) I was the only one to ever touch the pinch bolt and I always used a torque wrench to tighten it. When it was time for a new chain, I took it to the dealership. The next time I tried to loosen the bolt it was tight AF. Had to use a breaker bar to loosen it. Then when I tried to torque it to spec the chain would loosen again. Took it back to the dealership and they tried to tell me the pinch bolt had seized. They were able to remove it and several threads in the middle of the bolt were destroyed. Long story-short, they had to send the swingarm to a machine shop to repair it. So they could save face I paid only $25 for the repair. I traded in the bike because I didn't want to deal with any potential future issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So on my 2014 (purchased new) I was the only one to ever touch the pinch bolt and I always used a torque wrench to tighten it. When it was time for a new chain, I took it to the dealership. The next time I tried to loosen the bolt it was tight AF. Had to use a breaker bar to loosen it. Then when I tried to torque it to spec the chain would loosen again. Took it back to the dealership and they tried to tell me the pinch bolt had seized. They were able to remove it and several threads in the middle of the bolt were destroyed. Long story-short, they had to send the swingarm to a machine shop to repair it. So they could save face I paid only $25 for the repair. I traded in the bike because I didn't want to deal with any potential future issues.
Its so annoying when these so called professionals at the dealerships cant be bothered to do the job right frustrating. Funny you mentioned the dealership overtightening the pinch bolt on yours I had to lossen my chain it was to tight it can cause a whole pile problems if the chains to tight it can bend the shaft and cause tight spots in chain and destroy the bearings.
One thing I always check when buying a used a bike is the front fork pinch bolts that hold the front wheel spindle in place if you over tighten them it cracks case that holds the spindle I have seen a few cracked ones over the years very worrying indeed.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The gen 1 is super easy to adjust.

For the Gen 2 CB1000R Honda made access to 2 new allen-head screws next to impossible. Grrr.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the chain without lifting the motorcycle with this one on its side stand . Cb1000R 2021.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
449 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the chain without lifting the motorcycle with this one on its side stand . Cb1000R 2021.
From the owner's manual:
Support your motorcycle securely and
raise the rear wheel off the ground using
a hoist.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
449 Posts
A stand also makes it easier to clean and lube the chain. A stand is absolutely necessary to remove the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You have to remove the wheel on the NSC? That's so stupid...

You really have to remove the wheel now just to adjust the chain? Really, Honda?!? WTF?

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You have to remove the wheel on the NSC? That's so stupid...

You really have to remove the wheel now just to adjust the chain? Really, Honda?!? WTF?
I've never removed the wheel to adjust the chain. I'm sure it's easier with the wheel off, because it's a pain in the arse with the wheel on.

I haven't got around to getting some kind of stand for it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Gotcha, Bevo. That makes more sense.

BigOne, I LOVE having a stand for cleaning and lubing the chain. I really don't know how you suffer through cleaning/lubing the chain without a rear stand. You deserve a hug.

Reactions: Bevo

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Gotcha, Bevo. That makes more sense.

BigOne, I LOVE having a stand for cleaning and lubing the chain. I really don't know how you suffer through cleaning/lubing the chain without a rear stand. You deserve a hug.
Of course I deserve a hug!

I have a perfectly good stand that I used for my 2012 CB1000R. Then I converted it for my CBR1000RR. Ironically I usually use paddock stands for the Fireblade.

I'm not sure if 1Jac does an adapter for the NSC. I haven't had much inclination to find out.

Is there someone reading this who has a 1Jac stand and who is less lazy than me? Did you try to get a NSC adapter from them?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts