Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you that ride all year in all weathers, does the CB show much wear and tear? I get a bit frustrated with the lack of riding this time of year but i’ve found road salt a bit of an issue back in the day. The cold i can cope with but i’m concerned about the winter weather and it’s affect on the bike. Be interested to know how others view the situation?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've used plenty of different sprays over the years and with regular application they all work well. ACF50 and the Muc Off bike protector spray are my favourites.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
^^^ what he said! no rusty fasteners; no deteriorating finishes. the chain needs more attention than I typically give it, of course, but that's it...
makes wonderful winter 'hack'!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been riding mine all winter for a couple of years and no issues with rust at all. Not given it any special attention either. Top quality from Honda, as usual.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my concerns regarding the affects of all weather riding on the bike may be unwarranted. If I got on and used it rather than pampering it, i wouldn’t have to worry about whether i should be starting it regularly or not in the winter either.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...and you'd appreciate the good weather even more when it finally arrives, Tucksie, after all the miserable riding!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and you'd appreciate the good weather even more when it finally arrives, Tucksie, after all the miserable riding!
You’re probably right. You just don’t get out on the bike enough this time of year with my current policy.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my concerns regarding the affects of all weather riding on the bike may be unwarranted. If I got on and used it rather than pampering it, i wouldn’t have to worry about whether i should be starting it regularly or not in the winter either.
However a trickle charger for those winter months is still a great idea.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey Colvert,
now that's great advice you cant beat a trickle charger/battery conditioner for a long battery life, mines been on charge for nine years this April
Bike was new in 2011, and she still starts like new on the original battery.
Mind she hasn't been started since November so shes due a winter warm up soon when I get chance. Probably get her a new one this year just for the hell of it.
Hope your good, went through Shaldon this afternoon! Looking lovely!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Hey Colvert,
now that's great advice you cant beat a trickle charger/battery conditioner for a long battery life, mines been on charge for nine years this April
Bike was new in 2011, and she still starts like new on the original battery.
Mind she hasn't been started since November so shes due a winter warm up soon when I get chance. Probably get her a new one this year just for the hell of it.
Hope your good, went through Shaldon this afternoon! Looking lovely!

---------:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
ADMIN.---------Can we have the old Like Button back, please.------------:fingers:fingers:fingers

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a battery charger regularly but i’ve found there are other issues associated with long periods of non use.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I use a battery charger regularly but i’ve found there are other issues associated with long periods of non use.
Interesting.---What is it you've found then???

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Was leaking coolant, not much, from the weep hole behind the water pump. I asked a dealer for an opinion and he asked if the bike had been sat around much. Reckoned the seal can dry out with non use. I’m also concerned about modern fuel sitting around in the fuel system for too long.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Was leaking coolant, not much, from the weep hole behind the water pump. I asked a dealer for an opinion and he asked if the bike had been sat around much. Reckoned the seal can dry out with non use. I’m also concerned about modern fuel sitting around in the fuel system for too long.
Well that seal is in water all the time . Also it's a rubber toroid. No water in it to dry out.--:notme

You can get stabiliser for modern fuels to put in the tank over winter. Apparently that works OK.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well that seal is in water all the time . Also it's a rubber toroid. No water in it to dry out.--:notme

You can get stabiliser for modern fuels to put in the tank over winter. Apparently that works OK.
Ok that’s interesting about the seal. I plan to use the bike a bit more in future which will hopefully help with the fuel concerns.

·
Registered
591 Posts
carbon/carbide/ceramic mechanical seal. not rubber seal.
for example
https://www.amazon.com.au/REPLACEMENTKITS-COM-Brand-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Mechanical/dp/B07DD4LJH4
similar arrangement diagram here https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/files/7614/2425/2384/Water_pump.pdf

the mechanical seal has a wet side and a dry side (duh ;) ).
IF the seal stayed wet when engine not turning... that would require a continuous leak through it....
when running, there is mechanical/hydrodynamic sealing effect with little fluid loss.

it is possible for the dry side of the seal to dry out into the sealing faces (coolant drying), gumming up slightly which can interfere with the mechanical seal when the motor turns again. (needs to be smooooth)
occasionally starting for short time after long time resting can actually make that worse.. if the gummed up shit is not worn off, then a small gap can open up and you get leak until engine runs ans shit wears off again.

should go away with riding again, but if it doesn't, then either the ceramic face has too much shit on it, or the carbon face has been worn by the gunk.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts