Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i need help on removal of the regulator rectifier abs model.. as i think i have been hit with the regulator rectifier failure..started with hot start issue so i changed the battery to brand new yuasa..all was fine then the other day i could not start the bike several times until i part opened the throttle and she fired up fine i then did 100mile round trip all ok stop start engine testing...so i have just ordered multimeter to test rectifier i jut need help understanding the removal process
images below to - unscrew two bolts mounting the rectifier i have got the abs model you have to also unbolt the pcv bolt so what and where is that? i am not near the bike to look so i just dont want to go and check voltages and not know what the pcv bolt is..i hope its not the stator after testing the bike has 12.000 mile on it..any info would be great.. image below in manual to explain what i mean..thanks

DSC_3154.JPG

DSC_3157.JPG

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
IMG_20180911_145418141.jpg

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
When you get your multi-meter can't you just test the charging system before you try to remove the rectifier ???

Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine ticking over. If you get around 14 volts then the alternator is working OK.

If you then rev the engine a little and the voltage remains about the same then the rectifier is also OK.

I hope I understood your post correctly and my post is relevant.---;)--- ( could be Dementia kicking in on my part as I'm 81 today.--:D )

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I see Tachyon67 looked in on the 3rd December. Not a word about his bike though.----:notme---Promised a reply.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hi all sorry for the late reply i forgot just seen colverts message..my hot start problem looking into it rectifier taking it out seems impossible without removing all the parts stripping half the bike down abs RA model cb..so i decided to buy the new yuasa genuine battery £75 in uk honda padetts..i had cheaper lock version came on the bike 9500 mile know idea how old .same 190cc cranking power as yuasa spec honda recommended ..after using multimeter all was ok as should be on the battery..know hot starts issues at the end of last summer was very hot in uk when problem started ..but my thinking is the stator and rectifier issues could start from running the cb with cheaper less powerful batteries..fingers crossed all is well again come getting my cb out for spring..to be honest i am just waiting for the dreaded stator fail..seems to be around 30.000 miles but this could be only certain locations vin numbers i have researched ive also met other cb owners over 30.000 miles with know issues at all..so i may get lucky know recalls on my vin number at honda as yet.
i came across these on ebay both chinese just in case but would you risk it! cheap enough though.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulator-Rectifier-For-Honda-CB600F-HORNET-07-10-CB1000R-2009-2014-CBF600-UK/232936169465?hash=item363c13dff9:g:IzAAAOSwQyFbpP56:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magneto-Generator-Stator-Coil-For-Honda-CB-1000-R-CB1000R-2009-16-31120-MFN-D61/232987872006?epid=12025057425&hash=item363f28cb06:g:cUkAAOSwZddb2bXZ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but.....how can the charging system have an effect on hot starting?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I know this is an old thread...but.....how can the charging system have an effect on hot starting?
If it's not charging correctly.---However this will probably effect cold starting as well as hot starting.---These bikes are voltage sensitive and even if down a little they are prone to not starting.---Honda obviously fitted the smallest battery they could get away with.--A modern trickle charger is a must for peace of mind.

COLVERT.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi all happy new year...i know this is old post..but just updating on my hot start issue...as for now it turned out to be the battery that came with the bike cheap chinese one even though it was correct spec..i just bought the correct yuasa battery that comes as stock...I road all last summer not one hot start issue since...i just think cheap batteries could lead to rectifier issues maybe..i am sure someone will put this opinion straight..it makes sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi all happy new year...i know this is old post..but just updating on my hot start issue...as for now it turned out to be the battery that came with the bike cheap chinese one even though it was correct spec..i just bought the correct yuasa battery that comes as stock...I road all last summer not one hot start issue since...i just think cheap batteries could lead to rectifier issues maybe..i am sure someone will put this opinion straight..it makes sense?
When I bought my 14 last July it had a hot start issue. Got to the point where I was nervous to take it to the gas station haha. I had the same experience, brand new Yuasa battery fixed my issues.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
To you two guys above---Fit a flying lead from your battery to a connector under the saddle. In winter when the bike might not be in use it's very easy to connect a trickle charger to this lead.

Using this method I used only two batteries over a ten year period and the second battery still worked well when I sold the bike a few weeks ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts