Honda CB1000R Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
There's no mystery here. Liter bikes, when ridden hard, eat sport tires. But ultimately, it comes down to proper tire pressure - especially in accordance to the rider's weight.

For almost 3 years, I was wondering why the hell I was only getting 1000-1400 miles on a rear summer tire, where 80% of those miles consisted of spirited twisty road raci- er, riding (wearing out the sides before the center, in other words). Then I figured out that it was unnecessarily low tire pressures combined with my 230 lb. frame that was the culprit. See, I thought I was so fast and skilled that I needed to run 30-32 psi on the street... "need that mega contact patch cuz i'm killin it in the turns yo!". I was wrong. No matter how hard we ride on the fun roads, we simply do not attain track-like heat and load on the tires. Someone far wiser and more experienced than me suggested I raise my pressures up near Honda's recommended 42/36. I always assumed those #s took into consideration max load, i.e. with a passenger etc. Skeptical (and fearful) to go that high, I compromised at 38 rear/36 front. What a friggin difference. Took me a couple times to grab my balls and test it, but it's official: I've given up zero traction leaned over, and I've more than doubled the life of my tires. Not to mention, it has enhanced the handling and overall stability of the bike, under all conditions.

FWIW, I run Metzeler M7rr.

I run 35-35 or 34-38 depending on conditions.

I will say that the rear spins up if you aren't careful if you go above 35
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
There's no mystery here. Liter bikes, when ridden hard, eat sport tires. But ultimately, it comes down to proper tire pressure - especially in accordance to the rider's weight.

For almost 3 years, I was wondering why the hell I was only getting 1000-1400 miles on a rear summer tire, where 80% of those miles consisted of spirited twisty road raci- er, riding (wearing out the sides before the center, in other words). Then I figured out that it was unnecessarily low tire pressures combined with my 230 lb. frame that was the culprit. See, I thought I was so fast and skilled that I needed to run 30-32 psi on the street... "need that mega contact patch cuz i'm killin it in the turns yo!". I was wrong. No matter how hard we ride on the fun roads, we simply do not attain track-like heat and load on the tires. Someone far wiser and more experienced than me suggested I raise my pressures up near Honda's recommended 42/36. I always assumed those #s took into consideration max load, i.e. with a passenger etc. Skeptical (and fearful) to go that high, I compromised at 38 rear/36 front. What a friggin difference. Took me a couple times to grab my balls and test it, but it's official: I've given up zero traction leaned over, and I've more than doubled the life of my tires. Not to mention, it has enhanced the handling and overall stability of the bike, under all conditions.

FWIW, I run Metzeler M7rr.
I'm 230 so yeah that's a huge player.

As far as tire pressure.
I run 34f 38r around town or with a passenger.

If in putting the suit on to go hit twisties I'll drop to 34/34 or even 32/34 depending what tires I'm running.

It may just be the road I was on (the dragon) but I was running 34 38 dragging a knee 2up(see photo somewhere on here) then dropped my gf if and made some solo passes. I couldn't keep the rear in line under breaking. Not so much of an issue with spinning up as it was stepping out hard in the brakes. I stoped dropped to 34/36 hot and carried on with out the tires ever moving again these were q3s.

I'm on s21s now and from what I can tell they give no fucks about tire pressure. They also have zero feedback so there's that

How do you like the m7s? I've thought about them as my CB no longer does track days but ming try the rosso 3 next. I've been told they are similar tires the rosso seming to have a profile more to my liking.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
:D 74........I was a bit put off by the first girl! :lol:lol:lol:lol

Can I get an amen!
If she can't bite a candy i does not mean that she can't "blow" it :laugh

P.S. I think I will stay with Pirelli Angel GT, as I afraid that Pirelli Rosso 3 will be too soft and it will not keep me more than 3000-4000 km.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do you like the m7s? I've thought about them as my CB no longer does track days but ming try the rosso 3 next. I've been told they are similar tires the rosso seming to have a profile more to my liking.
Probably the best feeling tire I've had on the CB. Also, the best performing sport tire I've ever put through paces in wet/damp weather. They almost feel like Pilot Road IIIs. Er Almost.

Plus, it's always fun bagging the elephant ;)

I've seen/read how epic the Dragon is; would love to experience it one day. Luckily, we have it quite good here in the SF Bay Area...

·
Registered
37 Posts
heard the dunlop qualy2s are the way forward i run bt016 supersports n get about 700 miles to the rear my mate same bike laugh at me ....but he dont ride as hard as me so ??? will try them

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
heard the dunlop qualy2s are the way forward i run bt016 supersports n get about 700 miles to the rear my mate same bike laugh at me ....but he dont ride as hard as me so ??? will try them
700 miles out of a bt016? Are you doing constant rolling burn outs or running like 6psi. I got more miles out gpa-pros on the track on my 1000rr

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

81 - 90 of 90 Posts