Honda CB1000R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
and, furthermore, I've been there, done that! I don't claim high speed or above average video quality, but here's a taste of about 3 minutes eastbound at the west end, and a couple minutes westbound at the east end. mid-May, 2014, mid-week. no traffic problems, very light motorcycle load, no enforcement... and it REALLY is tight and unrelentingly twisty... perfect!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Small update: I'm about 2500 miles into a set of Bridgestone S21s. Some of the best wet weather tires I've ran(as far as track day ready tires) Awsome longevity. They have at least 1500 miles left in them. Great grip on the edge. Just don't the same feel at the q3 when all the way leaven over(profile related).

Action shot for proof

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
nice photo; nice road! good style too...

my immediate reaction was, Jeezuz, is that what the weather is like in Tennessee now, today? ( but I presume the shot comes from earlier in the tire's life...) cuz here's what the weather is like in Vancouver today:

IMG_6574 (2) by Don Serl, on Flickr

the only thing I'm dragging is a snow shovel across the sidewalk!

btw, lemme tout the Diablo Corsas once again. I did run a set of Q3's this past September, but while they were remarkably sticky, the rear was DEAD after 2300 kms ( 1400 miles ) plus 3 track days. by contrast I've now run Corsas twice, and both times got about 3500 kms (2200 miles) and 2 track days. and they move just a bit, which lets you know when you're nearing the limits...

p.s. am I missing something, or are you running without mirrors? I presume that's a 'Dragon-only' thing?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Feel your pain, Doser. We got 30cm of snow over Xmas, and it was -20C when I got up this morning. Looks like the arctic air is moving off today, but now we're all ploughing around in the drifts. Meanwhile, my English friends are posting FB photos of them riding, and people RAFTING in Derbyshire.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I took the mirrors off and put on a single bar end. Although your right. I don't see it in the pic

BTW that's not the dragon that's actually a random corner on 28 I had never seen anyone set up in before.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
re: the 'Dragon thing' comment, I got to ride that superb road ( 3 times... plus the Cherohala in the afternoon... ), May 7, 2014, during a month- long circuit of the USA, starting in Cali, crossing the southwest, riding thru Appalachia, and coming back home across middle America. as I was sitting at the lookout / turn-around spot at the west end getting ready to roll east again, a fellow on a very well used, heavily 'stickered' Gixxer or R1 or some such litre bike , wearing also heavily used one-piece leathers, pulled in, stopped for a moment, then headed back east. I left right behind him... and I had him in sight for about one corner. he was running SLICKS! so I wondered if there were certain 'liberties' taken with generally accepted motor vehicle regulations on this particular road?

second funny tale re: the Dragon. when I got back home I went looking for the 'pro' photos , to see if there was anything I wanted to pick up... and there, same day, same place, about half an hour different from me, was ANOTHER CB! black. maybe it was the guy from Pensacola that you talk about, maybe not. but, what are the chances? so odd...

boy, do I want to go back...

p.s. me and the Dragon (Pirelli Angels, NOT carving tires!):

1010279L by Don Serl, on Flickr

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It's the only place I've even seen another as well. Not Pensacola guy tho his was mat black he wore a wierd red and black suit and had luggage that matched

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
here's the 'mystery' CB rider: he was westbound at 2:01 pm; I went thru at 2:19... but I went east just after 1, so we passed each other somewhere, likely while I was hanging out at the stop at the top.

201pm by Don Serl, on Flickr

·
Registered
58 Posts
And there`s me thinking it was just me that had about 1500 - 2000 miles out of a rear tyre, my r1 is better on tyres than my cb1000r

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
And there`s me thinking it was just me that had about 1500 - 2000 miles out of a rear tyre, my r1 is better on tyres than my cb1000r
Shush !!! Don't say that if you want to sell it.

At the moment I've had 15,000 miles out of my rear tyre and the tread depth is still legal.

I tend to accelerate slowly but cruise fast. Good for the tyres and good for the bike too.---;)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My service record has almost twice as many tires as oil changes and I change oil every 3000 miles. A fool and his money.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Shush !!! Don't say that if you want to sell it.

At the moment I've had 15,000 miles out of my rear tyre and the tread depth is still legal.

I tend to accelerate slowly but cruise fast. Good for the tyres and good for the bike too.---;)
15,000? Are you running crusier tires?

·
Registered
79 Posts
there are so many things that affect tyre life, I ride like i stole the bike so buy tyres that are more grippy but i know don't last as long. If you ride let's say normal you will buy sports touring tyres and get greater miles from them. all i would say buy a tyre you like the feel off and get on with riding and enjoying yourself.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the CB makes more power below about 7000-7500 rpm than the R1 does - then from about 8000 rpm the R1 rips your arms outa your sockets, of course - but the point is that for even semi-legal street riding, you're likely in an rpm range where the CB is actually putting MORE power to the tarmac than a litre sports bike. that shows up in tire life, or more correctly, lack thereof...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
the CB makes more power below about 7000-7500 rpm than the R1 does - then from about 8000 rpm the R1 rips your arms outa your sockets, of course - but the point is that for even semi-legal street riding, you're likely in an rpm range where the CB is actually putting MORE power to the tarmac than a litre sports bike. that shows up in tire life, or more correctly, lack thereof...
That and the weight is what I've boiled it down too

I also think the CB has more of a rear bias than say a 1000rr or a R1

·
Registered
182 Posts
It shows how slow I ride.....I'm on the second rear and still on the first front tyre coming up to 7k miles. I did around 4k on the rear. Front will need doing before I hit 7k and I will probably be doing both at the same time.

I never complained about tyre wear when I did track days etc in the car and can't really complain if I did the same on the bike. The saying "you gotta pay if you wanna play" comes to mind.

·
Administrator
4,047 Posts
I thought the CB ate tyres until I bought the S1000R - it shreds rears - I ran Bridgestone s21s on the Honda and you could push 3k miles out of the rear (2.5 on a spirited road trip) - the BM will be through its rear in less than 2 (and that's with winter riding - late Sept through to now) ...heavens knows what it'll cost me in the summer ......

41 - 60 of 90 Posts