Honda CB1000R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I topped my bike out the other day, I had a backpack loaded, slightly uphill and windy and it topped out at 240. I'm also 230 lbs without gear, but I think on a clear day and level ground it would hit 250. Thats just speedo not gps, and I know the speedo is considerably off.

· Registered
110 Posts
Sorry, a little late to the party on the tire groove, but is the compound change that far out? I run the harder compound Pilot Road, and on those is seems the switch is much closer to the center of the tire. Is it really that much farther out on the sport tires?

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry, a little late to the party on the tire groove, but is the compound change that far out? I run the harder compound Pilot Road, and on those is seems the switch is much closer to the center of the tire. Is it really that much farther out on the sport tires?
Just doing some quick math, michelin shows the softer compound at 22.5% and that puts it about 1.7" on a 190mm tire, my quick measurement with a measuring tape was approx 1.75" so it all lines up, the groove with the transition between compounds.
Organism Font Line Circle Auto part

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stopped by my local speed shop and the owner was 100% sure that the groove was formed due to too high tire pressure. I rode my bike to,the track and had it at 33, figured that would be ok but he said it was too high. He said the tire is still fine and don’t need to worry about, just run the proper pressure.

· Registered
110 Posts
I have seen this chart that lists the pressure for the GP's at 30.5 and 27.4
I have generally found it difficult to find the correct tire pressure for my non-racing tires (Pilot Road), and they generally defer to the bike manufacturer, which always seemed lame to me as I know that the pressure would generally not be the same across manufacturers and models.

· Registered
7 Posts
I took it to the shop and the owner knew right away that my tire pressure was too high, that causes the separation between the compounds.
still a good vid.

Here is a vid from Motorcycle.com and an interview with Metzeler( skip to ~8min they start talking about tire pressure on the track)

The more you know waves hand and a rainbow appears with a shooting star

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
That’s not what mine looked like, my issue was exactly where the compounds meet, scroll up and look at the original posts, and I trust the shop I went to which is known around here as the best speed shop around and he has a great reputation, even if an internet stranger says he is wrong.

· Registered
7 Posts
That’s not what mine looked like, my issue was exactly where the compounds meet, scroll up and look at the original posts, and I trust the shop I went to which is known around here as the best speed shop around and he has a great reputation, even if an internet stranger says he is wrong.
heh, my bad. Your right your tire is seeming to come apart. Every one goes to the best speed shop. Internet stranger. We can be friends! Hi im whiskey.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Had the CB on track for the last time this season yesterday, the suspension guru was on site so I finally got the ohlins rear dialed in for me and what a difference. Out of the box the ohlins was night and day difference from the stock and to actually have it set up made a big difference. I already cant wait until next season, I think I'm going to need to squirrel a little extra away so I can book more days.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had so much fun this year at the track I decided to get a dedicated track bike. Although the cb did very good, it's better than I am, I wanted a Supersport and use it in its proper environment. I thought about a 2017-2019 fireblade but couldn't get it to fit in the budget so I picked up a zx6 last night. I rode it home from a couple of hours away and initial impressions are that I love it!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 44 Posts