Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my CB to the track this week. I have never done a track day before so I had my first day last week which was a rider training for track riding from Fast Riding School at Shannonville racetrack in Ontario. It is a good program, I only did phase 1 and I believe they have 5 levels and I'll likely sign up for 2 and 3 next summer. Then two days this week I had at Calabogie motorsports park for track day put on by Ducati Canada and I have to say I am absolutely hooked. This track is absolutely beautiful, over 5 km and 20 corners, extremely well maintained. I love riding motorcycles and this was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. The bike performed beautifully, as expected most bikes were supersports, there were a couple of nakeds, duke890, superduke1290 and a monster but thats about all I believe. The bike handled beautifully with the ohlins shock and I am super happy with that upgrade. It was hard to compare to the other bikes because everyones riding level was so different, a lot of people who couldn't ride a proper line were on litre bikes and could only go fast in a straight line, but I had some good back and forths with a few bikes and the CB could hold its own, and I am sure it would be just as good in the next level up too. I was running Michelin Power GP tires and the grip was unbelievable, leaned over and on the gas it felt like it was on a rail, absolutely amazing. If anyone is thinking about taking their bike to the track but is on the fence, I strongly suggest you do and see what the bike is actually capable of, you can never replicate this type of handling and cornering on the street and I have a new respect for this bikes capabilities. I did notice after the second day this groove which formed in my rear tire, I looks like its where the 2 compounds meet, but I have never seen a seam like this before, anybody else??? The other bike is my girlfriends ninja 250 which she had on track for the first time too.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Blue Vehicle

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I initially thought that but up close they don't line up and there is no marks on the carbon fiber either. The front tire had lines showing the separation of the compounds but it wasn't a physical groove like this

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
I initially thought that but up close they don't line up and there is no marks on the carbon fiber either. The front tire had lines showing the separation of the compounds but it wasn't a physical groove like this
Usually you can see a difference in the surface between compounds. I've never seen them separate and that groove looks like it's been cut into the tread. Is there anything on the left side of the tire where the two compounds meet?

Take a close up pic of that hugger and groove.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The left side is also having a slight groove, I'm sure it's the separation point between compounds, both are exactly 1 3/4" from the edge, no marks or anything on the carbon fiber. I have already put about 5000 km on the bike since installing the fender and do a lot of hard acceleration and wheelies etc... and no issues on the power 5 that was there. I'm also pretty sure if the carbon fiber was coming into contact in those conditions it would likely have chipped or at least show signs but close inspection it is in perfect condition.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Rim

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R ABS BLACK EDITION
301 Posts
@Otown Do you have to take any additional insurance other than your regular insurance coverage ? Would your regular insurance cover track riding ?

I came across this picture on another bike forum and thought, I'd ask this insurance related question.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha I have seen that one! I don’t think regular insurance would cover that, and no I didn’t get any track day insurance, I rode the bike to the track too so I needed to make it was rideable afterwards as well 👍 . I pushed the bike waaaay harder than I have before, I took the feelers off the pegs and would scrape the carbon fibre heat shield on the side of the exhaust but the traction was so good it never felt unsure of itself

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
Would your regular insurance cover track riding ?
Some track day organizations fall under "riding school" which is covered by some motorcycle insurance carriers with their standard full coverage. You'd need to check with your agent to be sure. A good track day organization should be able to point you in the right direction if you're looking for coverage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some track day organizations fall under "riding school" which is covered by some motorcycle insurance carriers with their standard full coverage. You'd need to check with your agent to be sure. A good track day organization should be able to point you in the right direction if you're looking for coverage.
Thanks for the info @Bevo. Will check when I decide to do some track time. I have taken up sailing this summer, renting a 28 feet sailboat for the season as a yachting club member :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well idk what you call it hmmm As an annual member of the sailing club, you get to use their yachts every day for 3 hours. If you take the boat out with another member on board, you can take it out for 5 hours. You can also get 3 non member friends on board, but they cannot come more than twice in the same month as per insurance policies of the club.

Some basics to know about sailing lol

Slope Triangle Water Rectangle Line

You need to learn to read the wind direction towards the vessel and accordingly have to tack.
You cannot always go straight forward if the wind is not coming from the same direction all the time, so you need to sail zig zag to catch the right wind which is what we call tacking and accordingly travel to your destination. Based on how you tack the wind, the vessel will go ahead as per the next picture.

Organism Font Circle Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
301 Posts
I finally got my CB to the track this week. I have never done a track day before so I had my first day last week which was a rider training for track riding from Fast Riding School at Shannonville racetrack in Ontario. It is a good program, I only did phase 1 and I believe they have 5 levels and I'll likely sign up for 2 and 3 next summer. Then two days this week I had at Calabogie motorsports park for track day put on by Ducati Canada and I have to say I am absolutely hooked. This track is absolutely beautiful, over 5 km and 20 corners, extremely well maintained. I love riding motorcycles and this was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. The bike performed beautifully, as expected most bikes were supersports, there were a couple of nakeds, duke890, superduke1290 and a monster but thats about all I believe. The bike handled beautifully with the ohlins shock and I am super happy with that upgrade. It was hard to compare to the other bikes because everyones riding level was so different, a lot of people who couldn't ride a proper line were on litre bikes and could only go fast in a straight line, but I had some good back and forths with a few bikes and the CB could hold its own, and I am sure it would be just as good in the next level up too. I was running Michelin Power GP tires and the grip was unbelievable, leaned over and on the gas it felt like it was on a rail, absolutely amazing. If anyone is thinking about taking their bike to the track but is on the fence, I strongly suggest you do and see what the bike is actually capable of, you can never replicate this type of handling and cornering on the street and I have a new respect for this bikes capabilities. I did notice after the second day this groove which formed in my rear tire, I looks like its where the 2 compounds meet, but I have never seen a seam like this before, anybody else??? The other bike is my girlfriends ninja 250 which she had on track for the first time too. View attachment 50420 View attachment 50421
So @Otown , when are you going again to the tracks ? Also is that tire good for another track day or you just go by how much groove depth you have left on it ? Also , what was the highest / average speeds you were clocking on the straight runway.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 1 more day booked in august, not sure if that tire will pass inspection or not, so I’ll probably change it and keep it for the street. On the fastest section of this track I was hitting about 215. Not sure what the average around the track was you really don’t have time to be looking at the gauges, i only checked on the long straight because I was curious.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have 1 more day booked in august, not sure if that tire will pass inspection or not, so I’ll probably change it and keep it for the street. On the fastest section of this track I was hitting about 215. Not sure what the average around the track was you really don’t have time to be looking at the gauges, i only checked on the long straight because I was curious.
I am sure you had a great adrenaline rush doing that speed. I often do an average of 190 kms on this stretch of road which is about 4.2 kms of good asphalt in the city and only reached a top speed of 202 kms only once.
Ecoregion World Map Atlas Line

1 - 20 of 44 Posts