Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2019 CB1000R with about 250 miles on it. I love the motorcycle but I feel like it does not shift as smooth as I expected. My previous bike was a 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S and I never really thought about the smoothness of the shifting.

Some times when upshifting, the NSC "clicks" into gear very smoothly, and other times it takes more effort to upshift into gear, almost like "two clicks" to engage into gear.

There have been a few times while quickly upshifting that I have "mis-shifted" where the revs jump and the indicator displays "-" and then the transmission clunks back into gear after the revs drop.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Will the shifts improve after the 600 mile service? Are my expectations too high? I have a notion that my expectations may be too high considering the Gilles Shift Holder aftermarket part was developed for "crisper" shifts. Perhaps this is normal and I am not used to this type of gear box.

Thank you everyone in advance for the help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I just picked up a 2019 today after trading in my 2014. On my 2014 clutchless upshifts into 3rd thru 6th is smooth as butter just like every Honda I've owned. On the 2019, several times while clutchless upshifting from 5th to 6th I got a false neutral. It may be related to my operating of the electronic throttle. On the 2014 I would just have to close it slightly. On this 2019 I may have to close the throttle completely. Still working it out. I'm planning on adding the Honda quickshifter. It's OEM on my 2017 SP and it shifts up and down like butter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shifting got much smoother after the first service. I also had to learn the correct technique to shift gears on a sport bike. I no longer feel like there is an issue with rough shifting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you ever check it?
Yup, it was at about 55mm. I just came from Wild West Motoplex (Katy, TX) today where I purchased the bike on Saturday to have the slack checked. It's a pretty big dealership with a lot of employees. I brought my C-spanner and asked them if they wanted to borrow it. (This is a different dealership than the last one that borrowed it) The service writer said, "yes please". Then the tech that returned the bike also thanked me for the use of the C-spanner.
So, after the chain was adjusted clutchless upshifting is a little more smooth, but again I hit a false neutral instead of 6th. This is only happening going into 6th and not every time. Pretty exciting when you're trying to merge with 75mph+ traffic on I-10 and you hear the revs jump and you have no acceleration.

Here's a list of new bikes I've purchased just since 2009:

2009 CBR600RR (sold)
2009 CBR1000RR (sold)
2010 CBR1000RR (sold)
2012 CBR1000RR (sold)
2014 CB500F (sold)
2014 CB1000R (sold)
2017 CBR1000S1
2019 CB1000R

I've never had a false neutral on any of these bikes except the 2019. Now, if I've been on a riding session and haven't been in 1st for an extended period of time, when I pull away from a stop I'll occasionally hit neutral instead of 2nd, especially on the 2017 (QS) because the upshifts from 2nd thru 6th are short and effortless and muscle memory forgets about the long throw from 1st to 2nd.

QS and heated grips are on order. Hopefully the bike and QS will play nice and eliminate the occasional false neutral.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts