Honda CB1000R Forum banner

Blown another seal

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BATMHANNA 
#1 ·
Well the bike has gone back in for a fork seal to be replaced.
The same one as before so it's not lasted long. Edit: just checked the bike has only done 1200 miles since the seal was fitted. I spotted it at 6800 miles ( on 7400 now)

They rang me back 3 hours after dropping the bike off to tell me they couldn't complete the job as the part was not available but they may have one tomorrow or Thursday.

I booked the bike in for the job to get done over a week ago so I don't see how it was a surprise but hey what can I do shit weather forecast and I'm working the weekend anyway.

#2 ·
Has the bike been sitting over winter on the side stand???
If so, all the weight is on the left leg "sitting on bike" and over time oil will seep through the seal.
This happened to a couple Blades I had and others on the Firebladeriders forum.
I was advised by a mechanic to clean the leg/seal and ride the bike for the day, cleaning the leg when stopping for a break.
After a 100 miles or so it was ok again :rolleyes

#9 ·
Mrcb1 said:
If so, all the weight is on the left leg "sitting on bike" and over time oil will seep through the seal.
I was advised by a mechanic to clean the leg/seal and ride the bike for the day, cleaning the leg when stopping for a break.
Never heard such bullshit before. So what, you can not leave the bike for a while on the sidestand :banghead
Crash the bike in to the garagewall so it stands upstraight? :angry

#13 ·
Hornet900 said:
Mrcb1 said:
Never heard such bullshit before. So what, you can not leave the bike for a while on the sidestand :banghead
Crash the bike in to the garagewall so it stands upstraight? :angry
Nickolodeon said:
Mrcb1 said:
So if I leave my bike on stands its going to leak on both fork legs equally...?

What a load of utter bollox :taunt
The info I gave was from my local Honda dealer mechanic "suprisingly enough it worked on the FireBlades I use to have" :finger now if you want to use this info or not is up to you, personally!!! I listen to what the mechanic tells me and it saves me money as well.

As for leaving your bike on paddock stands; that would equalise the weight and not have all the weight on 1 leg :rolleyes AND who said anything about crashing your bike against the garage wall :notme :taunt

#14 ·
I totally agree with MRCB1. I bought a paddock stand for the same reason. I know its hard to belive but its true, laeving your bike on its side stand for long period will cause the seal to weaken or even leak oil.

I don't even leave my bike on side stand longer than a day, plus I wanna get my money back on the stand.....

:clap :yay :banana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.