Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced gearbox issues with the Black Edition? I have a 2021 Black Edition and it has always whined slightly in top gear. It has now done 6400 miles but always suffered from occasional false neutrals between 5th and 6th when using the quick shifter. I put it down to me getting used to the quick shifter. However, it has now deteriorated to the point that 6th gear feels like it is stripping, especially under heavy acceleration. It momentarily loses drive and makes a horible sound as if the teeth are stripping. It only seems to affect 6th. I have it booked in for a warranty inspection next Wednesday but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar?

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
86 Posts
Nope, nothing untoward at all. The bike does whine a bit, I presumed it’s the gears and cogs whirring around (like my old VFR750’s used to whine/sing) but I really like the sound it makes so it’s never ever concerned me. It took me a while to un-learn the irresistible urge to use the clutch lever but now that I have I must admit, I love that QS. It’s ace. I think it was Bevo who explained how to use it properly and I went from there. I hope you get yours sorted.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah I definitely don’t seem to have that issue, I’ve got 20,000 km now, the only time the quick shifter gives me any issues is down from 2 - 1 quite often it only wants to stay in neutral, I really need to hold it down sometimes to get it to keep going to 1st. Other than that it’s been great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The cb1000r is the first and only motorcycle with a quick shifter that I own.
I've never tried another motorcycle with a quick shifter, so I can't compare.
However, it seems clear to me that that of the cb1000r is not 100% perfect.
False neutral, or delay between the 5 and the 6 _ _.
Downhill gears are pretty rough.
When it works of course it's enjoyable, but unfortunately i have to admit that it is not perfect.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Downshifting is smoother at higher RPM. At lower RPM you get a little kick in the pants because the bike adds throttle to rev match on downshifts. My Q60 RS does the same thing when I use the paddle shifter in lower gears because it also has rev matching.

Here is what is stated in the manual.
This system functions when the engine speed is more than 1,500 rpm r/min (rpm) on upshifting or more than the idle speed on downshifting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Downshifting is smoother at higher RPM. At lower RPM you get a little kick in the pants because the bike adds throttle to rev match on downshifts. My Q60 RS does the same thing when I use the paddle shifter in lower gears because it also has rev matching.

Bevo,
I would like to know what setting you use for the quick shift.
Soft, medium or hard?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
Here is what is stated in the manual.
This system functions when the engine speed is more than 1,500 rpm r/min (rpm) on upshifting or more than the idle speed on downshifting.
That is correct, however, the higher the RPM the smoother the shifts are on my NSC, my SC77 SP, and my Q60 RS which has twin turbos.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
I would like to know what setting you use for the quick shift.
Also, that setting just changes the sensitivity on the sensor itself. All the sensor does is cut ignition on upshifts and rev match on downshifts. The force required from the foot to make the gears change stays the same in any setting.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
86 Posts
Also, that setting just changes the sensitivity on the sensor itself. All the sensor does is cut ignition on upshifts and rev match on downshifts. The force required from the foot to make the gears change stays the same in any setting.
If that’s the case what does the soft-medium-hard setting actually change then if it’s not related to the resistance your foot feels? I ran the QS on medium for quite a while to get used to it then tried soft just to see what it was like and I thought the actual change felt softer, so I’ve left it on that setting, but was I just imagining that? Bit confused….

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
If that’s the case what does the soft-medium-hard setting actually change then
It changes the sensitivity on the sensor so that it will cut ignition on upshifts or rev match on downshifts with more or less pressure. The amount of foot force required to make the gears shift does not change. The QS does NOT change the gears. Your foot must do that whether the bike is completely off, running, QS turned off, turned on, doesn't matter. Your foot does the work required to make the gears change. The QS just allows you to make that change without the clutch. I've done clutchless upshifts for years on bikes without a QS. All you do is quickly and briefly reduce throttle to take the load off the transmission and the gears will slip into place when you make an upshift.

Example: If you barely lift your foot shifting from first to second, you'll have an incomplete shift and you'll be sitting in neutral. Changing the sensitivity on the QS sensor won't fix that.

In any gear but 1st, you can also apply a slight downward force on the shifter and you can feel the bike add throttle to rev match without actually making a gear change.

·
Super Moderator
2019 CB1000R
1,813 Posts
Also, no matter what sensitivity you've set for your QS, you can still get false neutrals on upshifts even though the QS has functioned normally. How does that happen? If you don't apply enough force upshifting from 2nd on up, the transmission will be stuck between two gears and you'll get a DASH on your gear display, even though the QS has cut the ignition as designed. False neutrals have been a thing for as long as motorcycles have had sequential gearboxes and the rider didn't apply enough force on the lever.

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition
86 Posts
Thanks Bevo. Having never tried one prior to the CB I never thought a QS would be something I would like or ever want TBH but I have to say 8 months later I am converted. I can pretty much do it without thinking now. I think it suits the CB personality perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts