Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound abit weird, but after every ride my bike has that smell a bike gets when its been ridden hard. Afew people have commented on how it smells like its been rode hot when I've pulled up.

The temp gauge doesn't seem to read that high, sits in the mid 80's while riding going over 100 now and again in traffic which is about the same as my old CBR600RR did.

Now I can understand getting the smell after a real blast but My bike seems to get it all after a 10 mile ride to a mates.

The only change to the bike from stock is a Akrapovic titanium end can, still has CAT fitted, Bikes done about 1800miles from new.

Just wondered if this is normal for the CB or if its worth getting it looked at.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
sits in the mid 80's while riding going over 100 now and again in traffic
Seems a little bit high to me mate - mine sit at 76° steady unless I am in traffic when it raises up to about 103° and the fan kicks in.

I have heard of a leaking CAT giving a Sulphur or rotten egg smell don't know if that could be your problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I must confess I don't look at the temp gauge that much while actually riding, so theres every chance it would run in the 70's, I only glance at it when im in traffic really and most of the time its in the 80's pretty soon after slowing, it could be climbing abit before I look, I'll make the effort to check it tonight on the way home while moving.

Never really crossed my mind as a issue as 85-86 didn't seem to high.

Its not a bad smell its the smell of a hot run engine, Im assuming the smell your mean from a CAT is similar to the eggy hum you get when riding behind cars now and again, in which case its not that. However I have noticed a slight blow from the underside of the bike, only slight and assumed it to be from a drain hole.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Im assuming the smell your mean from a CAT is similar to the eggy hum you get when riding behind cars now and again,
Yes that's what I thought you were meaning mate.

You are correct there is a drain hole in the underside of the exhaust but I wouldn't think you would be getting any fumes from it.

Sorry can't help any further.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No idea but my old vfr smelled horribly after a blast... Never figured it out but never any issues... Keep us updated... I wrote it off as maybe the tires putting off a smell

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mine always runs at 76 when riding and does smell hot after riding but I do cane the shit out of it lol. Fan comes on at 103 too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate you guys trying to help out, I'll update this in the morning after have a good look at the temp gauge while riding later.

Another thing the down pipes are going a off colour for the first 6inch from heat, but again I thought that was normal?.

The smell isn't of any burning I don't think, it a weird smell to try and describe.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Idk the conversion... But here in Arizona my bike runs into 220s while riding on freeway, and about 205 in traffic (traffic is actually cooler than riding because the air is so damn hot)... I never get an overheating smell... You're talking coolant burnt smell? That's not normal

·
Registered
543 Posts
I appreciate you guys trying to help out, I'll update this in the morning after have a good look at the temp gauge while riding later.

Another thing the down pipes are going a off colour for the first 6inch from heat, but again I thought that was normal?.

The smell isn't of any burning I don't think, it a weird smell to try and describe.
My mystery vfr odor kind of smelled like burnt rubber but it had a sweet note to it...very hard to describe.. Sure you're not maybe smelling leftover exhaust fumes or something?

Pipe discoloration is perfectly normal

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning when I got to work I actually(as weird as it sounds) sniffed above the exhaust then the engine, smell seemed to be from the engine, I was thinking originally it might be from the exhaust but it didn't seem to be.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
It sounds to me like this a new bike. If that is the case, you are probably just smelling new bike smell. It's perfectly normal and will subside after several washings and heat cycles.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Mine runs at about 82 degrees and has smelled after riding. My riding is usually "spirited" 8000+ miles on her. Absolutely no issues and doesn't use oil.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rite I kept a eye on the temp gauge while out lastnight.

On a open road at a steady 50mph+ the bike runs at 76-77C, but as soon as I hit traffic it rises quite fast with the fan kicking in at 101C. If im in traffic it will cool once moving but if im bellow 40mph it will stay in the mid 80's until I get a clear road and abit of speed to get air through the rad at which point if its a steady 50+ it drops to 76-77 again. Seems pretty normal, still got the smell from it after the ride though.

DELuth - I didn't think bikes had a new smell?, is it just anti corrosion coatings etc burning of?.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds about right Sickfish - regards the smell, mine used to do that - like a burning smell but it seems to have gone now - did it for a few thousand miles and after each ride ... Might have been chain oil on the cat or cleaning products on the motor etc
Think you might have it mate, it might well be chain lube on the CAT!!!, I get quite abit of sprayed oil on the silver cover on the side of the cat so it wont burn of just get hot!!, may well be that!!!

Didn't even cross my mind!! last bike had underseat pipe!!lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
it could be a bit of wee on your seat, as the bike goes that fast it empties your bladder and everything else :thumbup

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might sound abit weird, but after every ride my bike has that smell a bike gets when its been ridden hard. Afew people have commented on how it smells like its been rode hot when I've pulled up.

The temp gauge doesn't seem to read that high, sits in the mid 80's while riding going over 100 now and again in traffic which is about the same as my old CBR600RR did.

Now I can understand getting the smell after a real blast but My bike seems to get it all after a 10 mile ride to a mates.

The only change to the bike from stock is a Akrapovic titanium end can, still has CAT fitted, Bikes done about 1800miles from new.

Just wondered if this is normal for the CB or if its worth getting it looked at.
Your talking Celsius, right? I see around 142 Fahrenheit on average.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts