Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I had such a bummer of a morning. I was on the way to a meeting and my bike didn't want to start. When I press the start button the dash-lights go off. I assume that my battery is on the way out or gonners already.

Push start:
I have a the normal Honda HISS and an additional motion sensing alarm (AutoWatch) and this seems to be causing issues when the battery is drained. I tried push starting it about 15 times and finally got it going (my back is broken, heavy bike :D ). I drove it about 5 minutes and switched it off, once again didn't want to start again. Is there a way to bypass the HISS to push start my bike?

Battery advice & chargers:
I would probably need to buy a new battery now, but I'm thinking of buying a charger first and see if I can rescue this one. I honestly don't have money now for a new battery. Should I buy a trickle charger and try to rescue the old one, or just buy a new battery and get done with it? My bike is three years old so I assume this was the factory one that is fitted now. Is it a good idea to buy a charger anyways?

Thanks guys,
I'm really a novice and any input would be greatly appreciated ;)

Jan.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would just buy a new one, make sure its a well known brand and the CCA is the same or more than what you have fitted and all will be cool, an optimate to recover the battery (if it will recover) is about £40 and a battery will not be much more IMO

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem recently and tried every test to figure out the problem, turns out it's the battery that needs to be replace. Bought a new Shorai Lithium Battery from this site Motorcycle Batteries, upon receiving it the next work, I immediately installed it. All indicators and electrical accessories worked well. May I ask whats the real life span of motorcycle battery some say its 2 year others says 3 years?:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys,
I actually purchased a Motobatt battery and replaced my battery. The charger & battery costs the same and I'm toooooo much of a "bike junkie" not to ride it to work and back, so I bought the battery instead and I'm happy I did. I'll maybe try to buy a charger within the next month or two, thinking of buying a trickle charger with maintenance modes to look after the battery better. Everything is running fine now. I checked the old battery with my volt-meter and it's running at 7.5V so it's better that I bought a new one now.

Another question, is it good or bad to trickle charge while the battery is connected to the bike? I see some of the bikes (like BMW) comes with such a port. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've used an Optimate for years now and would recommend one (or similar). My last bike was six years old when I sold it and still had it's original battery fitted and working fine.
I have always left the battery fitted to the bike and connected the Optimate to it, this has never caused me any problems.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I checked the old battery with my volt-meter and it's running at 7.5V
A 12V lead acid accumulator with 7.5V across it! Possibly Colvert could explain to us how this could be?

Starter solenoid ?????????

Check battery voltage with a multi-meter. Must have at least 12.2 volts minimum.

View attachment 16930

PS. If you can bump start it check battery volts with the engine running. Must read over 14 volts.

COLVERT.
:thumbup

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,011 Posts
------------------- ;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
WOW! 2 dead cells on a fuel injected bike and he still pushed it off. What a great bike! The OP must be a monster if he pushed that thing off with a broken back and barely any voltage!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
I got my trickle charger from www.2wheeljunkie.co.uk for £15. Oxford Oximiser 600 12V Motorbike / Motorcycle Battery Charger - Motorcycle Tools - Motorcycle Helmets| Motorcycle Spares| Motorcycle Covers : 2 Wheel Junkie Try this link hopefully it works. If not its under chargers in the left column on the page. I'm signed up to there deals emails which can have some right gems. Got there branded Oxford Aquatex cover for £10 last week.
I've got exactly the same unit (although I paid £20) - simple to use and it comes with a hard wired adapter too - seems to work great ( especially over winter)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts