Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Not this one. But I've used Sena for years. Not perfect, but all my riding friends also use Sena. Different brands are supposed to work together but it anyone ever turns up with a Cardo device, they don't bother trying to connect because it's too painful.

My point: if you intend it for purely personal use, I'm sure almost any Bluetooth helmet set will be fine. But if you plan to use it to connect with friends when you ride, it's worth checking to see what they already use.

·
Registered
2021 CB1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Domio is not an ear piece. It is located outside the helmet and it uses vibrations to simulate the sound, which penetrates the helmet from outside. It’s a different technology from conventional Sena-like devices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder who rated it as #1? I'd be interested in a test against what I beleive are the 2 big players in the field Cardo & Sena. Not a fanboy sponsored review, but a back to back.

I like the idea of no earpiece / mike to wire up, but to be honest once you have doen the install then you soon forget that pain & it's just the same as the other solutions.

Battery life / sound quality / does it work with your pal's kit - these are the only criteria for me with comms. Even sound quality is borderline once you factor in wind noise - you just need to be able to hear & be heard - that is good enough.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, I won't believe them until I try it myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Let us know how you get on - looks like there is a good discount right now, so if nothing else, it is cheap!!

I wonder if it needs to be right on the top of the helmet (as shown) - wouldn't work on my neotec II flip (flip would hit it / vents there)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let us know how you get on - looks like there is a good discount right now, so if nothing else, it is cheap!!

I wonder if it needs to be right on the top of the helmet (as shown) - wouldn't work on my neotec II flip (flip would hit it / vents there)
If the sound quality is good, it would be perfect for full-face helmets, which is what I'm wearing. But, like everything else, marketing usually stretch the truth too much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably, I will not try it because the re-stocking fee is 10% and they already warned, on the website, that refunds may take a couple of months due to COVID-induced staff shortage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I do have one question about the conventional Sena-like devices.
Some of them come with noise-cancellation features. Does the noise-cancellation actually work since the device does not seal the ear-canal?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine is a bit hit & miss to be honest - but I can hear / be heard just fine. There is wind that sometimes triggers it, and sometimes you miss a bit of the words - but as a comms device it works ok.
Good for the bluetooth directions also from satnav running on a phone in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Actually, I do have one question about the conventional Sena-like devices.
Some of them come with noise-cancellation features. Does the noise-cancellation actually work since the device does not seal the ear-canal?
Noise cancelation on the Sena *microphones is usually excellent. I can take phone calls and the other person cannot tell that I am on a bike and has no idea that I'm doing 80mph.

The helmet-to-helmet communication is also great, but definitely can be hit and miss, especially in groups. If everyone uses newer devices and can use Mesh it can be much better and much easier to sync together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about music sound quality? Any good at all ?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
What about music sound quality? Any good at all ?
I always use earplugs because Sena does not cancel the wind noise. Without earplugs, sound is loud, clear and pretty bassy. But since 99% of my riding is above 25mph, the earplugs are necessary.

So at cruising speeds, the wind takes over more the faster you go. I have 2 different headsets in 2 different helmets. Music is quieter in one than the other. At 80mph+ the quieter one is too quiet.

In other words if you stick to 70 or below, even with earplugs you can hear your music fine. If you want high quality audio, don't listen to it in your helmet 😃

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,736 Posts
most of the guys I ride with switched from Sena to Cardo 2 or 3 years ago, almost exclusively because the mesh system allows members to drop out ( when distances get too great, for instance); and rejoin automatically when they come back into range. with Covid pretty much eliminating 'big' rides locally over the past couple years, I haven't bought a Cardo yet , but that's almost certainly on the purchase list next spring.

oh, and while pairing a Sena to a Cardo is apparently theoretically possible, our bunch has tried that lots and it either doesn't work at all, or is totally 'fragile' and collapses at the first challenge. they are, functionally, separate worlds...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts