Honda CB1000R Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
15 Posts
No one is using Dunlop Q3+ for their CB1000R ?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000R; 2018 CBR1000RR SP
15 Posts
< .... silence... >
Why, is there something wrong with this tire mated with this bike?
I have not bought a CB yet, so I don't know. Please share experiences.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
517 Posts
Of course not. For the most part Dunlop makes quality tires save for the Sportmax D214 which has thankfully been discontinued.

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R // SC80 // Silver
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It even has been discontinued?!?! WOW … that … really says a lot o_O

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,038 Posts
There are far better tyres out there as you can see if you just read a few of the above posts.

QUOTE:---
All right … I got the ROAD 5 installed.
After that, I thought I quickly pop by the car wash and clean my bike.
Was packed! So I just rode on … and on … and on …

All in all, I was on the bike for 6 hours!! That's how much I liked these new tires!
Man, the CB1KR completely transformed!! I had no idea tires make this much of a difference.

Thank you all again for your wisdom.
Problem solved!

·
Registered
52 Posts
@Donnie I am still curious about how much of your tire you use, when I asked the question before I wasn't clear. When I said "how much", I was referring to percentage of usable width, which would show how far over you are leaning, does that make sense? I am wondering, now that you have some miles on the new tires, if you could tell/show me how much of the radius you are using up?
Also, I assume you have gone around your "slippery" corner and had no slipping issues :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@Donnie I am still curious about how much of your tire you use, when I asked the question before I wasn't clear. When I said "how much", I was referring to percentage of usable width, which would show how far over you are leaning, does that make sense? I am wondering, now that you have some miles on the new tires, if you could tell/show me how much of the radius you are using up?
Also, I assume you have gone around your "slippery" corner and had no slipping issues :)
I didn’t drive by the corner where I slipped again … but I went through about 20 roundabouts (okay, okay, I went through ONE 20 times!) and increased lean angle (and dizziness). So even with the tire dealer telling me to take it slow for the first 200 klicks, I had a really hard time doing so! FLEW over the autobahn with 180kph, exited off-ramps way too fast … and the idea of the bike slipping just never even crossed my mind.
Michelin turned the bike from a fat drunken squirrel into a precise fighter jet.

However, in northern Germany – since we have no mountains – there are mostly long, fast corners. I have yet to plan a trip to the south and find some mountain passes.

To answer your question: So far, width wise, I’m using about to that part where the circly dots are – almost about where the square cutouts end and it becomes slick.
As to the Dunlops, I couldnt have told ya! I got the (demo) bike with 600 klicks on it and the tire already had no chicken strips! (Guess someone took one hell of a test ride!).
So I have no idea how much of that lean was mine.

I AM leaning more than I ever did on the Dunlops, tho.

OOH, fun story: when I called the tire dealer, I told him I wanted Road 5’s since the Dunlop sportmaxxes …” I couldnt even finish my sentence when he burst out “AAAW, THAT PIECE OF SHIT TIRE!!!”

Soooo … yeah. Even the rubber professional has nothing good to say about this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just trying to understand how far you lean the bike, so seeing how much of the tire gets worn, you can get an idea. When really pushing in the turns I get the bike down to just about the pegs touching, which gets me pretty much to the very edge of the tire. So I was just wondering how far over you get. I just put on a new tire last night and went for a quickie in shorts and a T-Shirt to just scuff it up and check it out, so I didn't do a lot of leaning. In this image you can see I got maybe 2/3 of the ways to the edge (again T-Shirt and shorts). Does that make sense?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I was just trying to understand how far you lean the bike, so seeing how much of the tire gets worn, you can get an idea. When really pushing in the turns I get the bike down to just about the pegs touching, which gets me pretty much to the very edge of the tire. So I was just wondering how far over you get. I just put on a new tire last night and went for a quickie in shorts and a T-Shirt to just scuff it up and check it out, so I didn't do a lot of leaning. In this image you can see I got maybe 2/3 of the ways to the edge (again T-Shirt and shorts). Does that make sense?

View attachment 49331
Yup! I see what you mean about how much of the tire being worn.
Not quite sure what you’re getting at tho (sorry, bad English)
Like, maybe I slipped on The Dunlops because I leaned so far that a bit of the tire wasn’t worn in? Or if I slip at shallow angles too rather than leaning over too far?

Sorry, I dont get it :-D

·
Registered
52 Posts
More the latter. It doesn't matter, it's a done deal now right :) I was just curious to see a picture of the tire, but nbd. Main thing is you are enjoying it now!

·
Registered
2013 CB100R White
1,688 Posts
ArtyY, there's nothing wrong with the Q3s, but they'd be a poor choice for the CB, and over the past decade of being on this site, I don't think I've ever heard a single poster mentioning them. therefore.... silence. they're 'hypersport' tyres, best suited to high-powered 'hypersport' motorcycles. they offer phenomenal grip, but only once they warm up. best for track days, or license-threatening activities on deserted sections of public roads! they'd suit your CBR... a friend ran them on his S1000RR, and liked them enough to buy a second set...

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
517 Posts
they're 'hypersport' tyres, best suited to high-powered 'hypersport' motorcycles.
That's odd, especially since they're offered in sizes for mid-size bikes. If you go to Dunlop's website and plug in the NSC, the Sportmax Q3+ is the recommended tire.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
ArtyY, there's nothing wrong with the Q3s, but they'd be a poor choice for the CB, and over the past decade of being on this site, I don't think I've ever heard a single poster mentioning them. therefore.... silence. they're 'hypersport' tyres, best suited to high-powered 'hypersport' motorcycles. they offer phenomenal grip, but only once they warm up. best for track days, or license-threatening activities on deserted sections of public roads! they'd suit your CBR... a friend ran them on his S1000RR, and liked them enough to buy a second set...
They only last me one day on track. So would last me about 2k miles on the street. For no obvious improvement in performance in the way I ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
That's odd, especially since they're offered in sizes for mid-size bikes. If you go to Dunlop's website and plug in the NSC, the Sportmax Q3+ is the recommended tire.
Marketing!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts