Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CB1000R // SC80 // Silver
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need your help. I’m a fairly new rider (1st season) and I love my CB1KR to bits!
But it came with the much hated Dunlops and I slipped TWICE now (luckily, the ABS caught me both times).

This may not be a Honda specific question but please share your wisdom :-/

After a few weeks of riding, I finally got confident enough to actually enjoy twisties (instead of trying to be laser focused and watch every move). And then – WOOSH – the front just went! To a galaxy far, far away. When it happened the 2nd time, I stopped trusting the tires/bike and stopped leaning. Problem being – and here’s what haunts me – I took a circular on-ramp (basically a long 300 degree corner) and was FROZEN, a bit too quick, and not leaned over enough … and thus my line just carried me right out on the highway lane (50 kmh vs 120 kmh of traffic).

I was so fortunate that no one was behind me. If there had been, that would’ve been it. No doubt.

So here’s my question:

After you had your first scary slips or even wipe-outs on your bikes, how did you regain confidence? I’m sure a lot of it is just these god-awful Dunlop tires … but still … with stakes this high, I don’t want a stupid mistake (out of fear) to be my last mistake.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
After you had your first scary slips or even wipe-outs on your bikes, how did you regain confidence? I’m sure a lot of it is just these god-awful Dunlop tires … but still … with stakes this high, I don’t want a stupid mistake (out of fear) to be my last mistake.
The Dunlop Sportmax D214 sucks

I stopped trying to push these OEM tires. As soon as the rear is worn out I'm getting a new set of Bridgestones. The best way to get your confidence back after getting better tires, is to do a track day. If a track day is not possible, then find your favorite turns and gradually increase speed and lean angle each time you ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I stopped trying to push these OEM tires. As soon as the rear is worn out I'm getting a new set of Bridgestones. The best way to get your confidence back after getting better tires, is to do a track day. If a track day is not possible, then find your favorite turns and gradually increase speed and lean angle each time you ride.

Thanks for the link to the threat. Man, that spinning out is scary! So, it wasn’t just me or my noob riding. That’s good to know.

So far, I was simply too stingy to put new tires on (a brand new bike). I was planning on wearing them out this season and switch to new ones next season. But we have a lot of rain where I live! And it’s just not fun when you feel you can’t “learn”, because every time you push the bike, the tires literally “let you down”.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
But we have a lot of rain where I live!
I wouldn't ride these tires in the rain. They're horrible. I've had other new bikes with OEM Dunlops and never had an issue like this.

If you have to ride in the rain, get new tires. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Guys, I need your help. I’m a fairly new rider (1st season) and I love my CB1KR to bits!
But it came with the much hated Dunlops and I slipped TWICE now (luckily, the ABS caught me both times).

This may not be a Honda specific question but please share your wisdom :-/

After a few weeks of riding, I finally got confident enough to actually enjoy twisties (instead of trying to be laser focused and watch every move). And then – WOOSH – the front just went! To a galaxy far, far away. When it happened the 2nd time, I stopped trusting the tires/bike and stopped leaning. Problem being – and here’s what haunts me – I took a circular on-ramp (basically a long 300 degree corner) and was FROZEN, a bit too quick, and not leaned over enough … and thus my line just carried me right out on the highway lane (50 kmh vs 120 kmh of traffic).

I was so fortunate that no one was behind me. If there had been, that would’ve been it. No doubt.

So here’s my question:

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hi there is too much talk of bad tyres .you would have to be Very very good road rider to outride a road tyre nowadays I think you are running out of talent due to to your lack of experience. Break down the bend what can i see/can i see the exit/ road surface/ speed/ gear. What is the limit point doing.If the point at which both kerbs hedges appear to be getting nearer you are going too fast . If going away too slow. Do you counter steer? Just find a twisty road and practice .INFORMATION POSITION SPEED GEAR ACCELERATION .Good luck stat safe.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
Hi there is too much talk of bad tyres .you would have to be Very very good road rider to outride a road tyre nowadays I think you are running out of talent due to to your lack of experience. Break down the bend what can i see/can i see the exit/ road surface/ speed/ gear. What is the limit point doing.If the point at which both kerbs hedges appear to be getting nearer you are going too fast . If going away too slow. Do you counter steer? Just find a twisty road and practice .INFORMATION POSITION SPEED GEAR ACCELERATION .Good luck stat safe.

I'm not a freaking noob and I know what street tires and street bikes are capable of. My current route for commuting has been the same since 2009 and I've ridden too many brand new bikes and tire combinations on it to count. I'm in Houston, Tx and ride all year long. The Dunlop Sportmax D214 suck. They're discontinued for a reason.

It's impossible to simply make a lane change on a straight US multilane highway at 55+ mph without steering (counterstaining). "Do you countersteer?" What a ridiculous question. Of course the OP steers his bike and there is only ONE way to make a bike turn (change direction) at speed.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
This.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
For the members chiming in, if the Dunlop Sportmax D214 wasn't OEM on your NSC then you don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hey Jeff,
that is brilliant advice, thanks. Aside from my VERY thorough (German) drivers ed, I’ve watched a ton of YouTube vids, Twist of the Wrist and all that. Now, I know this is all just theory! And not worth a damn until you practise it. That is why I was going over back roads for these past 4 weeks, practicing. I usually stay in 3rd gear through corners (to be flexible with accelarating or engine braking and to slow down before the corner). Also, I try to trail-brake, rather than to stab the brake when I feel I’m going Too fast. I don’t EVER accelerate into blind corners. Quite the opposite: If I can’t see the road or even the surface, I don’t push past my limit. (roads are often dirty from Traktors and that is just insta-death).

And this is exactly why I don’t know what to do anymore. If I watch all those things … speed, road surface, corners, gear, hand position, body position … WHY DO I STILL SLIP? Not even pushing it.

I wonder if I should just STFU and push it (and pray the bike will catch me) or if its really the tires.
It feels like riding on plastic pucks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the members chiming in, if the Dunlop Sportmax D214 wasn't OEM on your NSC then you don't know what you're talking about.
Respectfully, I agree! I’ve ridden more than a dozen bikes during my decision making. These are by far the worst things ever mounted under a bike. Watching reviews of the CB1KR, there are people who say they didn’t like THE BIKE because it was handling funny. Those who bought it, said it was handling like a dream.

I suspect the tires to be the differentiation factor.

Upon inspection further, it appears the Dunlops are on the test bikes (for whatever reason) and they get delivered with bridgestone (here in EU). So literally people on Dunlops didnt like the bike and on better tires loved the ride.

Now, I’m not saying I’m not a noob. I know its my first season. But I AM saying, with all the precautions I take … with trying to learn it THE PROPER WAY inch by inch … I don’t think it was user error.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would dump the tyres as its in your head now about them been rubbish. I can't comment personally as I've never had them but a mate a had similar experience with a Zx10r a few years ago. He almost got rid until he put new tyres on and it transformed it. Also just my personal view is don't watch too many videos just go out ride steady keep relaxed and it will come in the end. There are a lot of 'experts' who can tell you how you should ride but it's best to do it your own way or your head gets full of talk. Best advice I got of my Dad who's been riding for nearly 50 years is you will run out of talent before the bike so just trust it, after you change them tyre's.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
I suspect the tires to be the differentiation factor.
It's definitely the tires. Folks that got the OEM Bridgestones are lucky AF. Like I said, I've had OEM Dunlops before and they were good tires. The Sportmax D214 suck on the same turns I've done 1,000s of times without any issue before.

One of the bikes I rode on these turns was 2005 XL1200C that I purchased used just for commuting. Tires never slipped. The feet forward pegs would drag occasionally, but that's it.

·
Registered
09/09/09----CB 1,000R
4,040 Posts
Two things I reckon.--One year, really not enough experience.--Not being rude but that's a heavy powerful bike.
Two, those rotten tyres.----The ones pictured below are some of the best.---( Pilot road 3 or 4. )---However you'll never get the lean angle of that guy on that bike unless you use super-glue.

----------

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would dump the tyres as its in your head now about them been rubbish. I can't comment personally as I've never had them but a mate a had similar experience with a Zx10r a few years ago. He almost got rid until he put new tyres on and it transformed it. Also just my personal view is don't watch too many videos just go out ride steady keep relaxed and it will come in the end. There are a lot of 'experts' who can tell you how you should ride but it's best to do it your own way or your head gets full of talk. Best advice I got of my Dad who's been riding for nearly 50 years is you will run out of talent before the bike so just trust it, after you change them tyre's.
I love that quote from your dad. I will take that on board with me – together with “loose people live, tense people die” – which is a diving quote that actually helped me ride less stressed. (Mind you, this is my BEGINNER bike – with 150ps, 1000 ccm, 200 kg)

Also, youre probably right with it now being in my head more so than it being actually dangerous. I mean, it is literally what I first said about going wide on a dangerous lane because I didnt think I could lean further.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Two things I reckon.--One year, really not enough experience.--Not being rude but that's a heavy powerful bike.
Two, those rotten tyres.----The ones pictured below are some of the best.---( Pilot road 3 or 4. )---However you'll never get the lean angle of that guy on that bike unless you use super-glue.

View attachment 49291 ---------- View attachment 49292
Youre totally right! And that is what I am saying … I am a rookie.
And not only that. My uncle got killed on his bike, my mom and cousin both crashed (hospitalized) and I just have never known a rider who hasn’t been down at one point or another. And usually, this is a hobby that punishes mistakes harshly.

So, pair ROOKIE with BAD FAM HISTORY and SCARED TO DAMAGE 15.000€ BIKE … and you got one sissy of a rider.

I try to literally “get back on it“.
Which I why I appreciate your guys’ help so much!
I guess I have to bite the bullet and get new tires – for grip and even more for “trusting the bike”

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
However you'll never get the lean angle of that guy on that bike unless you use super-glue.
Nope, but the peg spurs/feelers/BOLT, HEX. CAP (6X65) 92501-06065-0A should graze the pavement on a nice sweeper without the tires slipping using maintenance throttle in warm air temperature. Hell, I don't trust these OEM Dunlops at a 45 degree lean angle.

·
Registered
2019 CB1000R
544 Posts
(Mind you, this is my BEGINNER bike – with 150ps, 1000 ccm, 200 kg)
If this is your first street bike then there's probably more to it than just the tires. Still, I'm an advanced rider and I don't trust these Dunlops.

The bike follows your eyes. Look at where you want to go, NOT where you don't want to go. If you look at the ditch on the outside of a turn, the bike is going to be like, "well, he's looking at the ditch so here we go."

·
Registered
Cb1000R NSC +
24 Posts
I agree with Leedsrhino - change the tires to the Bridgestones - put it behind you. Then, plan a few rides on nice days and just take your time.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts