Registered
891 Posts
I expected you to say because you sacrifice feeling for safety :lol

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha Ha :clap
Shouldve gone for Non ABS, & a Blow Job instead!!

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I've nothing against ABS as such, but I think the implementation on the CB1000R is untidy and the callipers inferior. I also don't like combined brakes. The new combined ABS on the 2009 spec CBRs is interested however, and if it made it on to the CB1000R in the future then I may be inclined to 'upgrade' one day

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree they do look a tad untidy, & r only a 3 piston caliper, but believe me Ant they are more than capable of anything we could ever throw at them on the Road!!
If we were taking the Bike on the Track then yes it would b a different story!!
I like the combined Brakes as i use them whenever its raining & i see diesel on the road.
The new system does look good & i think itll work well, the Big H arent daft after all!!

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
I don't know, I think I've pushed the radials to their maximum a few times. I have no doubt that the ABS callipers would've caused me to overshoot, or hit an oncoming car or something. I'm 100% happy at this point to have the non-ABS on

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Antnee said:
I don't know, I think I've pushed the radials to their maximum a few times. I have no doubt that the ABS callipers would've caused me to overshoot, or hit an oncoming car or something. I'm 100% happy at this point to have the non-ABS on
An old (but still interesting) article on the advantages of radial calipers here.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Antnee said:

If u overshoot or hit an oncoming car thats down to poor riding technique not the brakes!!
Im happy ur happy with ur choice m8, & u obviously push the bike right to its limits :) but for 99% of riders the ABS Brakes are Plenty Powerful enough.
Performance Bikes Magazine wrote: "They work extremely well, are certainly up to the performance of the bike & stoppies are possible with a controlled brake hand".

The choice is down to the Individual Rider & their needs, whether for ultimate stopping power, or for perfectly controlled braking.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I tested both with and without abs and ended up buying one with abs. The reason was that I do need the bike in all weather conditions. If I would use the bike only in good weather circumstances and or on track days I would have gone for non abs.

I'm interested in the 2009 models fireblade and 600rr with abs, Honda claims to have closed the gap with this new evolved abs for sportsbikes. I'm eager to test it at it's full potential on a track.

I must say that for most road conditions the 6 piston calipers are very effective and the byte is great plus you get a good progressive feel and no fading at all. The radial 4 piston monoblock calipers on the non abs are a bit more aggressive leaning towards the blade's brakes. But the abs version brakes are up to the task and one of the best brakes at the present.

the condom comparison is not that bad at all. If you go for a wet spot without abs, you could slide trough and overshoot at the peak moment of fun, braking to hard loosing the front tyre of the bike... I guess at the peak moment of ... you're not that keen of pulling back either :rollin

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:thumbup Ha Ha, i concur!! :thumbup

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Satchel Man said:
If u overshoot or hit an oncoming car thats down to poor riding technique not the brakes!!
Exactly, but I know how hard I can push them, so I don't. If I had the non-ABS I'd probably not push as hard

pvdk said:
I must say that for most road conditions the 6 piston calipers are very effective and the byte is great plus you get a good progressive feel and no fading at all.
What 6 piston callipers?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ant the non abs has (2x2) 4 on the front brakes, the abs version has (2x3) 6 pistons

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Non ABS has 2, four piston radially mounted calipers as fitted on the Blade.
The ABS has 2, three piston conventionally mounted sliding calipers.

·
Registered
11,186 Posts
Yep, what Satchel Man said. The ABS has a pair of three-piston sliding callipers, not 6-pots, and of the total of 6 pistons, one is actuated by the rear anyway, so you've got 5 pistons on the front, as opposed to the 8 on the non-ABS

·
Registered
618 Posts
Correct, I was counting both sides. But I thought the non-abs had 4 instead of 8 :book

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hold on- hold on wait a minute, sorry rainman but i have a question?

Ant has raised an interesting point there. As we all know on the ABS model the Rear Brake Pedal activates the Centre Piston on the R.H.Side Caliper, but surely the Front Brake Lever must operate all 6 Pistons otherwise u'd have uneven braking?! I mean u couldnt have a different No of Pistons working on either side could u :eek

Hmm, im away to find my Owners Manual :book

1 - 20 of 39 Posts