Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to this message by Doser....

Maybe on a separate thread? Like, who is member #1! How did you 'founders' know each other? What website and/or other skills did you each bring to the creation of the forum? Etc...
I'd love to get a bit of a history lesson...
Haha... thanks Doser, it is a bit of a long winded story involving skullduggery, alleged hacking and forum bannings :) (I'm being serious too!)

But the shortened version is as follows:-

I was an admin on Hondahornet.co.uk (Hornets Nest) and it was a very active forum where members would go out on regular ride outs. I met the founder members of this forum there including Antnee, Felix the Cat, JJON, Fordzoid, Brut69 and Flo. We all owned or had owned Honda 600 or 900 Hornets (CB600F or CB900F).

In 2007 Felix the Cat was banned from the Hornets Nest allegedly for hacking, I was accused of giving him another admins password (incorrectly), things got a bit silly and I was banned as well. The others remained, Antnee felt we had been dealt with unfairly and eventually he was banned as well. In the meantime Flo created The Vest (a joke against the Hornets Nest), but this later became Bikehackers.com (reference to us being apparent hackers). During 2007 Bikehackers ran some fantastic rideouts and the forum grew significantly attracting mainly members from the UK (where we mostly are) and especially the South East. But Bikehackers lacked the focus offered by a dedicated bike model forum. Around this time ten years ago Honda announced the CB1000R and we were all really surprised just how cool the styling was compared to the competition, at this time I had a nearly new Yamaha FZ1-N and I had no intentions of buying another bike so soon. Antnee had said that he was going to buy a CB1000R when it was eventually released many months later in the summer of 2008.

In December 2007 I created the new forum using a PhpBB messageboard, the colour scheme was Acidtech Tiger (orange on a black background) and we went live on Christmas Day, Antnee did a few techie things behind the scenes to streamline things but it was all a bit basic really to start. We set out to offer a club that would remain free for all riders to join (unlike many other clubs). We were running things on a very small budget that I think FelixtheCat had originally paid for (or it may have been Antnee). We started negotiating various discount schemes with vendors/dealers, the main one being with Doble Motorcycles in the UK, again we gained no direct payment from any of these retailers, all savings were for the members. Over the next few months into 2008 we grew the club and it was soon well up the Google search list for Honda CB1000R. We did have a rival HugeDomains.com - Cb1000r.com is for sale (Cb 1000r) and we tried to ask the owner of the domain to sell it to us but he was in it for advertising revenue, anyway his club eventually died as it was useless. The domain name HugeDomains.com - Cb1000r.com is for sale (Cb 1000r) is available now but you'd have to pay £2000 for it!!!!!

WHen the CB1000R was released in the UK, Antnee did indeed buy one, in fact he was the first person in the UK to ride a release version (partly because he had it shipped to him a few days before release) :) I then attended the Doble Motorcycles launch evening that you can see here

I eventually bought my own CB1000R in 2009 after taking a test ride when I vowed I would not be selling my FZ1-N, Brut69 also came with me that day and also bought himself a CB1000R too!! :)

Over the next couple of years the club steadily grew although we did have problems with a few members who were abusive and basically wanted to try to take over, it was a hassle and took alot of the fun out of running a forum. Unlike the Hornets Nest membership was more more spread mostly across the UK but also internationally. Whilst this was a good thing it did mean that there were fewer rideouts (meeting people is still an important part of being a biker afterall). Antnee the had an accident I believe and decided not to buy another bike, he started to feel like he should have less input into the club. We had a really committed membership and brilliant moderators so we didn't want things to just fizzle out. The same thing happened to me really and I couldn't dedicate the time needed to the forum, eventually we both decided to let Forum Foundary take over once we were assured they would stay true to our founding principles, always free, members come first. They also had the technical expertise and financing to bring the forum up to date by moving it to VBulletin. Antnee and I still remained Admins but we increasingly had less to do with the club, for starters I preferred PhpBB to the new VBulletin, hated all the advertisements and I still dislike the white/black theme...I'd love to see Acidtech Tiger back. :)

In 2012 I sold my CB1000R, it had been a brilliant bike and I will always consider it to be a fantastic all round hooligan streetbike, since 2012 I have only really popped in from time just to say Hi and check all is well.

I do hope the new 2018 CB1000R is popular but I'm not convinced, suffice to say I'm more into sports tourers now (currently have a 2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX) so I won't be buying one (famous last words that I also said in 2009!!!!!) ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
brilliant! so cool how it all came together! hackers! conflict! why, it's just like real life! thanks for taking the time to write it up... and thanks again to you and the others who put the energy into the forum in the first place. your legacy lives on!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Many thanks Doser :)
Thanks for the write up. Really enjoyed it.

I've lived through most of the times of the Nasty Folk. Lol. I have visited the forum just about every day since I joined in 2009.

Just one thing--------Who was member No 1 ???

Colvert.

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Member 1 was me I think but when the message board moved over to VBullettin the member list was moved back by one to allow for a new admin user who is now number 1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts