Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some people have posted reviews in the "Rumours..." thread , but I think it'd be good to have a separate place to read opinions on the new bike, rather than 'casting back' thru a dozen pages of other stuff to get there. Sooooo... let me begin with:

Launch test: Honda's slightly mental CB1... | Visordown

hint: they like it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm happy that it kept the easy to ride everywhere character of the old bike. That's one of the things I love about mine - it will putter around town all day without ever complaining about it, and it sounds like this one's the same.

No Canadian pricing yet - but if it's priced the same at the MT10 here, that puts it around 16K. I don't know that I'd pay that for one.

The production version looks nicer than the prototype I saw at the show here in January. I must swing past the local dealer and have a look-see if they have one.

I still REALLY like the 300 version.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm will be hard to decat! :/
exhaust details from the Honda site:
"A new exhaust also adds to the CB1000R’s mid-range muscle and weight reduction. It’s a 4-2-1 design, feeding via 4 short catalysers into a main chamber, which then feeds a dual chamber muffler. A link pipe joins the 2 main pipes just before the catalysers, boosting torque from 5,000rpm up. At 11.2kg it’s 4.5kg lighter. The exhaust note has been tuned internally, meaning that as the revs rise past 5,500rpm it takes on a significantly deeper, more raw tone."

I'm sure various companies will design and offer full exhaust systems fairly soon; but I also imagine that none of them will increase power. Airflow (both in and out) in modern engines is so complex, there's no way anyone without major sophisticated testing is going to be able to 'beat' the factory.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm sure various companies will design and offer full exhaust systems fairly soon; but I also imagine that none of them will increase power. Airflow (both in and out) in modern engines is so complex, there's no way anyone without major sophisticated testing is going to be able to 'beat' the factory.
There's always more to be had. Manufactures have emissions and decibel guidelines that they have to adhere to. Aftermarket "off-road" use only does not.

·
Administrator
4,047 Posts
A really good point - the latest Euro 4 compliant bikes are a mess even when you take off the end cans - requiring proper dyno and ECU or PCV mapping - the new GSXR ends up with holes everywhere just by putting on a Yoshi end can - Euro 5 will be even worse with Possible ECU restrictions to modding (tbc) - then there’s the insurance question in the UK when decatting - it’s now expected they are notified and a record held along with premium adjustments - on a noise front Decats are rarely legal so it’s hard to declare it properly as they often require road legal systems on their schedules - is sure to become a thornier issue. Police have been reported as having stopped bikes, checked the bike for mods and then contacted the insurers direct to see if they are declared! If not = no insurance and bike impounded and rider sanctioned !

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OGN, CA already restricts what you can do with exhaust mods, do they not? I'd expect that trend to broaden, and stiffen. and, truthfully, I agree with it. we are pitching greenhouse gases into the atmosphere every time we go out to play, and I'm quite OK with minimizing the impact of my foolishness / fun!
I'd agree with your statement that "there's always more to be had", but it's not so simple with a Euro 4 bike as it was years ago. the fluid dynamics engineering that goes into 'mapping' smooth torque, a strong mid-range, a broad peak power curve, non-jerky on/off fuelling at low rpms, aaaaand very high fuel efficiency is extremely sophisticated. fzcking with any part of the gas-flow system these days will almost certainly 'cost' something. if that was more power = lower fuel economy, easy-peasy. but it ain't, any more.
niche manufacturers like Ducati and Triumph can and do 'work it out' with suppliers like Arrows and Termignoni, and 'package' exhaust systems together with appropriate fuelling mapping. just slapping an aftermarket end can on, these days, I don't think is gonna work out so well.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Loosely speaking, all performance parts are illegal on the street in California. I'm not sure there's much enforcement unless we are assholes. Even a slip-on is illegal if it doesn't have a DOT stamp.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
:( for some reason i thought we would just expand the forum to include the new bike..
Agreed.---That's the most logical thing to do.---Upgrade on the existing bike.-----No need to go anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts