Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to sort this out but my local Honda "dealer" has no clue, whole other story....

I'm concerned my bikes chain has too much slack but can't get a reading that I'm confident in. Forgive me, I'm measuring on side stand, due to corona waiting on maintenance stand and can't have anyone to come help out so I know that's an issue a bit....

I'm measuring 1.75" (44.5mm) slack, pushing down is fine, but when pushing up the chain touches the swing arm lower rub strip before I can measure so I'm just measuring the chain thickness essentially on the upwards measurement.

At rest the chain sits on the upper swing arm rub strip...

My measurement says I'm in manual specs but I'm not 100% convinced. Too add to my issues, it's a Canadian version... Apparently Honda didn't think we needed tool kits here so no pin spanner on hand to do the chain tension, that's on Covid backorder too....

Thanks so much for your patience and helping in advance.

See attachments
20200714_081535.jpg
20200714_081524.jpg
20200714_081558.jpg
Screenshot_20200714-081854_Drive.jpg

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to sort this out but my local Honda "dealer" has no clue, whole other story....

I'm concerned my bikes chain has too much slack but can't get a reading that I'm confident in. Forgive me, I'm measuring on side stand, due to corona waiting on maintenance stand and can't have anyone to come help out so I know that's an issue a bit....

I'm measuring 1.75" (44.5mm) slack, pushing down is fine, but when pushing up the chain touches the swing arm lower rub strip before I can measure so I'm just measuring the chain thickness essentially on the upwards measurement.

My measurement says I'm in manual specs but I'm not 100% convinced. Too add to my issues, it's a Canadian version... Apparently Honda didn't think we needed tool kits here so no pin spanner on hand to do the chain tension, that's on Covid backorder too....

See attachments View attachment 48629 View attachment 48630 View attachment 48631 View attachment 48629 View attachment 48630 View attachment 48631 View attachment 48632
Hi all,

See attachments View attachment 48629 View attachment 48630 View attachment 48631 View attachment 48629 View attachment 48630 View attachment 48631 View attachment 48632
Have you tried one of these to get a bit more accuracy ??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi - It's fine though I would go for slightly more tight in your case.
I would also give the rear wheel a few spins before tightening up the bearing holder. This is to make sure you don't have any tight spots on the chain.

Then I'd just go for a small ride and see if I'm getting any noise.

You are better off buying the pin tool, so I'd recommend you get that anyway,

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
AA, I have 2 tools sets, and I was gonna just send you my spare spanner for postage, but I checked Partzilla and they are different part numbers. darn... if you face a big wait, order from Partzilla now. their site says they have it in stock.

fact is, the OEM tools are crap anyway, so you're far better off just putting together a little set of sockets, hex keys, and spanners, that do everything necessary. all you need from Honda is the spanner and the fuse puller...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AA, I have 2 tools sets, and I was gonna just send you my spare spanner for postage, but I checked Partzilla and they are different part numbers. darn... if you face a big wait, order from Partzilla now. their site says they have it in stock.

View attachment 48635

fact is, the OEM tools are crap anyway, so you're far better off just putting together a little set of sockets, hex keys, and spanners, that do everything necessary. all you need from Honda is the spanner and the fuse puller...
Alright thanks for the advice! Though that spanner looks right... What year is that from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am currently trying to adjust my chain (2019) and am having the same problem. Mine measures 40 mm, which is on the tight end of the spec range, but it hits the swing arm rubber strip when pushed up. How am I supposed to know if the chain is tight enough if it can’t be pushed up any further?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am currently trying to adjust my chain (2019) and am having the same problem. Mine measures 40 mm, which is on the tight end of the spec range, but it hits the swing arm rubber strip when pushed up. How am I supposed to know if the chain is tight enough if it can’t be pushed up any further?
I gave up trying to conclusively determine if I was within spec. I ordered a chain monkey and 100% recommend especially for this bike since you can't measure slack as implied in the manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I gave up trying to conclusively determine if I was within spec. I ordered a chain monkey and 100% recommend especially for this bike since you can't measure slack as implied in the manual.
How did the gearbox feel before and after you adjusted the chain properly? I suspect my chain has too much slack in it and occasionally I get rough shifts and even my QS refusing to upshift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't say really. For me the tension was correct, I have rough upshifts on occasion but that comes down to my techniques (rev matching). I don't have the QS so can't comment on that at all....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have rough upshifts Jrodri. I just did the first service so I am hoping the shifts are smoother when I ride tomorrow. Also - and this may just be my imagination - I felt like the shifting got smoother when I switched from Standard mode to Sport mode. Maybe the decreased engine braking had something to do with it 🤷‍♂️?

Thank you AvroArrow for the tool recommendation, I will order that right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too have rough upshifts Jrodri. I just did the first service so I am hoping the shifts are smoother when I ride tomorrow. Also - and this may just be my imagination - I felt like the shifting got smoother when I switched from Standard mode to Sport mode. Maybe the decreased engine braking had something to do with it 🤷‍♂️?

Thank you AvroArrow for the tool recommendation, I will order that right now.
Let me know how it feels after your service. I'm creeping up on my service too and I am also hoping an oil change will smooth things out. I'm starting to think you need to keep the throttle static when using the QS. If you let off or accel the ecu does not know what to do. Just a theory, I have not tested it. Very annoying not being able to upshift at times using the QS.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If you don't have a QS it really doesn't matter too much.---What is needed is PRACTICE.

It won't be long before you can make lightening , soundless, shifts in a small fraction of a second.

Accurate timing between hand and foot is the aim. Light pressure on the gear lever with a very small pull on the clutch lever.---What you end up doing is making a virtually clutchless gear change.

Much less than 1/10 of a second.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let me know how it feels after your service. I'm creeping up on my service too and I am also hoping an oil change will smooth things out. I'm starting to think you need to keep the throttle static when using the QS. If you let off or accel the ecu does not know what to do. Just a theory, I have not tested it. Very annoying not being able to upshift at times using the QS.
I rode today for the first time since the first service. I put about 85 miles on it and it does shift smoother. I expect it to get even better as time goes on.

I noticed that it shifts smoothest at about 5k rpm, or if I blip the throttle slightly right before I shift. If I pull in the clutch in and let the RPMs drop to zero, then shift, it isn’t that smooth but I think that is normal. This bike is very different from my old Vulcan S and definitely takes more technique to do clean shifts. I agree with Colvert that it takes practice.

I bought one of those Gilles Tooling shift support thingies and plan to install it soon. I also plan to tweak the suspension for my weight. I will report back if I notice any differences.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where are you putting the chain monkey at? I ordered the tru tension you suggested and for me the top of the chain monkey is still hitting the top of the swingarm when set to 3. I can't seem to get an accurate measurement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My chain monkey came in yesterday and I placed it in the center of the chain on the under side of the swing arm and it did not hit anything. I too set mine at 3 and chain tension is correct after 750 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wonder if I just have it too tight to begin with. Would it be possible for you to snag a pic? I'll have to mess with again today after work

1 - 18 of 18 Posts