Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
..I admire your efforts and for you sharing it all here ...it's really instructive and enlightening - will be good to see where you go with this ...
Thank you for the kind words.

Since others post their data about mods they've done, I feel compelled to do the same, especially since I've learned some over the years from others. It certainly helps in making decisions on what paths to take regarding ones goals. I enjoy helping, properly informing others, and just the general learning process of what things affect performance and what doesnt. I've spent lots of $$$ over the years testing and learning. Some people say that it was a waste of money but if you learn something it wasn't necessarily a waste...especially if it's fun! :)

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The nail in the coffin for me is that when into looking into doing a refreshed ecu they claim a raised rpms limit. I'm not seeing that his bike has that. That alone makes me question if they even did anything to his ecu.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Well we'll see. I'll wait to see what I hear back from ECU Unleashed and see what they say. One other problem is that the spark pickup on the dyno wasn't too reliable...because of this I can't see the increased rpm in "engine speed" in the viewing software. The signal was so choppy from the bad connection that I can only view it in "speed" which is the speed of the dyno rollers...not the engine rpm...in theory I'd think that the top speed seen in the curve should have been a bit higher but I'm only assuming that...I've never spent much time looking into that. I've always used "engine speed" and in this situation I am unable to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well we'll see. I'll wait to see what I hear back from ECU Unleashed and see what they say. One other problem is that the spark pickup on the dyno wasn't too reliable...because of this I can't see the increased rpm in "engine speed" in the viewing software. The signal was so choppy from the bad connection that I can only view it in "speed" which is the speed of the dyno rollers...not the engine rpm...in theory I'd think that the top speed seen in the curve should have been a bit higher but I'm only assuming that...I've never spent much time looking into that. I've always used "engine speed" and in this situation I am unable to.
Any updates from ecu unleashed yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hello all;

I heard back from ECU Unleashed and here is what they had to say...this is a direct quote from my email...

"These CB1000R are really restricted from the factory in the throttle and ignition. We eliminate these restrictions and optimize the mapping in these parameters however due to the amount of restrictions put on it is tough for us to tune the fuel in according to each application. The ecu is now optimized in regards to the throttle ignition etc, however we would recommend adding a PC and performing a final fuel tune if/when it is possible. This will bring the entire set up and modifications together on the bike.

Thanks,"

I did reply accordingly with some dissapointment and further questions particularly about AFR which in my opinion is way off...as well as a request to discuss this over a phone call. We will see what will further become of this, but OVERALL and for now, I do not recommend this as an OPTIMAL tuning option to get for your CB1000R. If we cannot come to any type of agreement or understanding I MAY ask for my money back...but my concern with that is that I'm not sure that I want to remove my ONLY ECU and send it to wherever and for how long.

I am also considering buying another used OEM ECU and doing a back to back dyno comparison to really prove just what has or has not been done. Since i made several changes at one time i really can't be certain if there ARE differences from the OEM ECU...I still believe that there HAVE been SOME changes based solely on what I remember of the OEM ECU...but so far?...I'm a bit disappointed for $450 usd...

A direct quote from their website FAQS that seems to be a bit overly optimistic...

"If I have the ECUnleashed ECU Tuning Service done do I also need a fuel control module like Power Commander or Bazzaz?

No, You do not need a Piggy Back. The ECUnleashed service optimizes each of the parameters inside your ECU delivering an excellent overall tune with maximum performance. Because of this your vehicle will not require an additional Fuel Control Module. However some find adding a “piggy back” for specific conditions such as different Track Type, Fuel Type, Atmospheric & Elevation Levels. This should be done ON A DYNO With a professional Tuner."

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thank you for all of the info you have provided. Since this subject interests me very much, I have a thought. How about if I send you my stock ECU for testing? My leg is broke and I won't be riding anytime soon. Obviously, I would ask that you treat it with great care and not keep it for too long, but I'm willing to send it to ya if you want.

Come to think of it, that would actually help me determine if the fan issue I am having is caused by the ECU or not. It would be a win for us both!

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Thank you for all of the info you have provided. Since this subject interests me very much, I have a thought. How about if I send you my stock ECU for testing? My leg is broke and I won't be riding anytime soon. Obviously, I would ask that you treat it with great care and not keep it for too long, but I'm willing to send it to ya if you want.

Come to think of it, that would actually help me determine if the fan issue I am having is caused by the ECU or not. It would be a win for us both!

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Hello,

That is a generous offer and I thank you for the offer. I'd like to think about it for a while if I may. Every time I go to the dyno it costs me $47.xx including tax. I don't mind spending a bit more $$$ but I need to be more certain of the future path(s) I want to go down with this first. ...so again, thank you for that.

I'm still thinking that the next option to try regarding a proper tune would be with a Power Commander 5. I also want to see if ECU Unleashed is interested in any appropriate conclusion before I go much further. I will need time to think this through first.

I need to contact this company to see if what they have will work for the CB1000R. I'm not holding my breath but I think that it is worth a phone call.
https://www.woolichracing.com/default.aspx

It sure is frustrating that there aren't better options for tuning motorcycles like there are for cars! :)

Thank you again, Brian

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yes! Very frustrating! I blame Honda for using proprietary protocols. It makes everything much harder.

It seems the Woolich Racing people have exactly what I'm looking for, but as you say, it's not for the CB. It's good to see a reflash tool that works on a Honda ECU, though. It's usually just Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Harley ones that you see.

Good luck and let us know what route you take and what Woolich says.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Woolich Racing has been contacted and now we will wait to hear back from them as to what product(s) will or will not work (if any) for the CB1000R. I'll post more once I hear back from them. If they don't have anything that will meet the needs I'll get a PCV and call it a day!

·
Registered
476 Posts
To me ecu unlisheds email basically said "we can't really do anything with the CB1000 ecu but we took your money anyway and acted like we did somthing" I'd be livid and asking for my money back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
To me ecu unlisheds email basically said "we can't really do anything with the CB1000 ecu but we took your money anyway and acted like we did somthing" I'd be livid and asking for my money back.

Maybe...but I don't want to jump to that conclusion just yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I heard back from Woolich with a pretty positive response. It seems as though they might be willing to look into this further and see if what they offer will work for the CB1000R. I am currently in contact with them via email. I will be sure to let you all know as this progresses.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So I heard back from Woolich with a pretty positive response. It seems as though they might be willing to look into this further and see if what they offer will work for the CB1000R. I am currently in contact with them via email. I will be sure to let you all know as this progresses.
oh ....
interesting coz i m waiting since november 2015 an answer
last message on ten jan. 2016 was:

"Hi Derchef, sorry for the delay, I have been busy building race engines and have had no time to even visit the forum.

I will get an answer on the CB1000R from Woolich this week.

Regards"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
ECU Unleashed has stopped responding to any contact from me. I 100% do not ever recommend them at all!

I was a bit sick last week so I will get back on board figuring this out. I will probably contact the place I purchased the reflash from next to see how they respond.

When I get time I will follow up with Woolich as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
Can you explain how and why you did to do these things as below?
PAIR valve feed hose plugged
Intake flap and vacuum control removed

Regarding ECU flash, I did contact them before and it seems they are very slow to send back the feedback. I ask for CB1000R, but they always send me back with CBR1000RA result. It's very weird, then I decide going to buy PCV and autotune instead of flashing route. Taking this way, I'm not sure I'm happy totally with it due to many reasons:
- Our bike CB1000R has limited space compared to many bikes I did have before. If you have autotune, PCV, alarm system, then you can't have more space for tools, manual and other stuffs. In the back of seat, there's only cables and many small boxes. As my alarm system has more than 3 modules.
- PCV is OK but autotune and O2 sensor not reliable. At beginning, my autotune can't fit well color coded cables. Put cable into the hold and twist the bolt, that's it but it can't hold the cable. That's easy task I did for many stuffs, never has this problem. Find out because it's so unreliable nuts and it's so tiny to hold little 20 gauge cable. I intend to open autotune and soldering the cable to the post, but didn't do it due to warranty issue. They have several color coded holes, but there's 3 of them can't hold the cable. Others' are fine, then I decide to tape it to keep it stable, but if you force it, it won't hold :(
- the back seat of CB1000R has many holes which is water will come through to the holes under the tray and 2 sides of the upper seats. Every time I wash my bike, every stuffs inside of that compartment will be soak with water. If you put electronic device, sooner or later it will die.

Hope this help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry I've been MIA since last year. I've had some significant life changes happen due to an illness.

Anyway, last year I ended up borrowing DELuth's 2012 stock ECU to compare to mine with the ECUNLEASHED flash. I didn't see much point in dynoing to compare but I did notice a difference. Mostly in low rpm throttle response being a bit crisper and more pull in the lower rpms. I still wouldn't recommend ECUNLEASHED for the $450 as it is most definitely not worth the $$$ for the gains as well as the poor customer service.

If money allows I'm hoping to find a tuner for Woolich Racing's ECU setup sometime. Until then...

Thank you again DELUTH (Dylan) for letting me borrow your ECU to try. I hope your foot healed nicely!

Brian

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey, glad to see you are back!

Woolich is in my future, also, so I'm eager to hear how it goes for you. So far, I've received great customer service from Woolich.

My knee healed great, thanks for asking. The strength and movement has returned fully, although it took a year. Now all I have to do is not do that again!

Sorry to hear you have been having issues. Hope things start going better for you.

Welcome back!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts