Honda CB1000R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Copied from my intro post...

Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading the site for more than a year now and find it very informative. I purchased a brand new leftover 2013 CB1000R last July. I rode it all summer pretty much stock and then toward the end of summer began modifications...

Current mods...

OEM Honda 2014 CBR1000RR turn signal lenses
Ermax 23cm windscreen dark tint
Powerbronze rear hugger
Yoshimura fender eliminator
BMC oem style air filter
PAIR valve feed hose plugged
Intake flap and vacuum control removed
Charcoal canister removed
Arrow Thunder exhaust (71732AON) and header (71422MI)
ECU Unleashed ECU reflash

I'm new to modifying motorcycles but have been modifying cars for more than 18+ yrs (just personal cars and friends). I will be posting my bike and all of the mods with pics and dynos soon.

Thanks to everyone and for their contributions...its been very helpful in building my new bike.

My bike...2013 CB1000R

My other car project... TTS Race Supercharger kit build thread. Rotrex C38-92. - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Projects and pics... My Photos - Gallery - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

More later.

Thanks much.

Brian

...So on the the comparison dynos...Please note that these are of MY bike with the mods listed above and the results only pertain to that bike.

Due to my past experience with cars and posting their results, I wanted to do the same with my bike so I have some data for everyone. After getting the ECU Unleashed ECU reflash and before I ran it on the dyno I did notice that it felt a tad bit different (all other modifications listed above were installed at this time as well), particularly in the throttle response. It felt a bit snappier and smoother upon throttle tip in. The biggest thing that I noticed was that around 4-6krpm it seemed to pull a bit harder (noted in the dyno...red line between 70-85mph). It didn't feel any stronger anywhere else (again, as you will see in the dyno). Today was the first time that I drove the bike without the baffle installed and WOW there was a BIG difference! (as you see on the dyno) Quite a bit of a difference with and without the baffle!

I have a dyno that was 100% stock vs one with all the mods listed above both with and without the baffle installed. I was a bit disappointed in the results, both with the AFR (air fuel ratio) and with the added power from all of the mods. Being that the AFR doesnt look much different than the OEM ECU I cannot know for certain IF anything has been changed in it, I can only take them on their word that it has. I would love to add a PCV and see just how much there is left on the table.

Please note that the pickup on the dyno didn't seem to be the best so I needed to show the dyno graph using "speed" instead of "Engine speed" and "Torque". The graph with those headings looked terrible so I chose not to use them...sorry...out of my control. Also...the run with the baffle did not have the AFR logged due to the baffle being installed as the probe would not stay in.

All of the dynos below are the same but simply have the pointer in several different locations to show various differences.

Thanks for looking,

Brian.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing - great post ! I wouldn't be pre-occupied with the dyno absolutes - it's all about context - 115 on this dyno could be 125 on another - they vary quite a bit - what does count is the improvement you've found !
You're very welcome! I agree...I've been doing this kind of testing a while now on cars (I've done many back to backs) and as long as you are using the same dyno it's just the difference that matters! My primary dissapointment comes from the AFR. I would have expected a better measurement around approximately 13.2 throughout the revs. I was also suprised that the exhaust WITH the baffle actually LOST power over the stock exhaust! ...especially since on the Arrow website it lists a gain of 16.5hp...(yes, we dont know their testing parameters either) I'll probably need to tinker with that a bit!

Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why am I not seeing the 500rmp raised rev limit? I honestly expected to see some just for number gains out of that being that we bike ( at least mine) pulls all the way the the rev limiter.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard back from ECU Unleashed and they asked me to send them the data that I have...I did and I'm now waiting to hear back as to what they say...I'll update this when I hear back from them....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
...on another note, I decided to see if I could get any of the power back that was lost from the installation of the DB killer. I cut off the closed end of the tube just after the 9 parimeter holes. In doing this it really didn't make it much louder than before I cut off the end and it is very obvious that MUCH of the power came back with it. Whenever I decide to get another dyno run I'll be sure to post what the difference is as it is now.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Agree with above, although our bikes are the same model with the same Honda engine they vary from bike to bike and without the ECU being on the bike at the time of any Dyno testing then i can not see how optimum results can be achieved.... or am i missing something. When i had my PCV fitted and it had a custom map i asked Dynojet exactly how they did it and what i do remember is that Richard told me they made lots of adjustments to the PCV throughout the testing....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've just clicked in this thread that it sounds like you sent off the ECU to be reflashed, got it back, fitted it and then tested it ?
I dynoed the bike first when it was 100% stock...then made all of the modifications, then sent off the ECU to get the ECU Unleashed reflash, got it back and installed it, then dynoed the bike again.

For me if this was the case, I can't see how they can possibly provide an optimum set up without your bike and without a dyno as they adjust settings?
Optimum?...no...but hopefully closer than what I saw...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Regarding a reflashed ecu...I currently have two other Honda vehicles that I have tuned, a 2006 S2000 (which is supercharged) and a 2007 Civic Si (which is naturally aspirated). I have done lots of modifications and dyno testing on them over the years (and some others) (I've owned them since brand new). In this time I have used a company called Hondata which is an ecu tuning/products company for Honda vehicles (https://www.hondata.com/index.php). They provide tuning solutions for many Honda vehicles. In my time I have used several of their reflashes for my vehicles and in my experience with this company the tuning of these "general" reflashes has been that the programming is very good and close to optimal. Please note that the reflashes that they provide are NOT tuned for each specific individuals vehicle but are a reflash that works very well on any vehicle with a limited amount of modifications...usually bolt-ons. In other words if you have a 2007 Civic Si with bolt-ons they have a reflash for that...as well as others.

In looking at the data that I got from the before and after from ECU Unleashed, it is quite a bit away from what I have seen in the reflashes I've had on my cars and this is where I am a bit dissapointed.

If I get time I will look up the before and afters of my cars and post the data to show what I was explaining above. I do have tuning options for both of the vehicles I have and have had them tuned fully to optimum beyond a general reflash now (I originally started with just their reflash and then purchased a complete tuning option).

Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here is an example of a reflash vs optimal tuning of my S2000 from years ago. The ONLY difference here is one is a reflash and one is using a tuning option that has been optimally tuned on a dyno. Both runs are using the same dyno. The reflash came as part of the supercharger kit that was on my car...I then decided to purchase a complete tuning option and have it tuned...the dyno below shows the difference.

Please note that the slightly higher AFR you see in the reflash (blue line) comes from the fact that the supplied reflash was tuned with a completely oem exhaust with a catalytic converter...my car did not have the cat and therefore this is the reason for the lean situation around 4-6krpm on the graph.

·
Administrator
4,051 Posts
I dynoed the bike first when it was 100% stock...then made all of the modifications, then sent off the ECU to get the ECU Unleashed reflash, got it back and installed it, then dynoed the bike again.

Optimum?...no...but hopefully closer than what I saw...
I thinks it's good that you can dyno yourself - but outfits that reflash on a bench I think are a rip off - the adjustments need to be made on your bike, live with a dyno.

A recent mag article reflashed a Suzuki GSXS but they spent a lot of attention on things like part throttle. Then there's the individual mods to the bike to consider.

I think all you'll ever get with a generic map are generic results - it's the same with the PCV - I have someone else's map to try but it won't be an optimum tune for my bike ...

I think it might explain the slightly underwhelming results as you should be knocking on the door of 120bhp+ ?

Your results look more honest though - I met one idiot at a bike meet who reckoned a reflash unleashed 180bhp on his CB and he had an Ixil drainpipe on it !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thinks it's good that you can dyno yourself - but outfits that reflash on a bench I think are a rip off - the adjustments need to be made on your bike, live with a dyno.

A recent mag article reflashed a Suzuki GSXS but they spent a lot of attention on things like part throttle. Then there's the individual mods to the bike to consider.

I think all you'll ever get with a genetic map are generic results - it's the same with the PCV - I have someone else's map to try but it won't be an optimum tune for my bike ...

I think it might explain the slightly underwhelming results as you should be knocking on the door of 120bhp+ ?

Your results look more honest though - I met one idiot at a bike meet who reckoned a reflash unleashed 180bhp on his CB and he had an Ixil drainpipe on it !
Yes...I agree...true.

Oh...to be clear...I don't dyno/tune myself...I have a tuner and a dyno that I regularly go to...I just meant that I do this stuff and somewhat regularly.

I agree that for optimum results it should be tuned on a dyno. I DO believe that the reflash has changed some part throttle response...I was, however, hoping for better results overall. At this time I do plan to eventually get a PCV and get it tuned... maybe sometime this summer.

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've just clicked in this thread that it sounds like you sent off the ECU to be reflashed, got it back, fitted it and then tested it ?

For me if this was the case, I can't see how they can possibly provide an optimum set up without your bike and without a dyno as they adjust settings ?
The nail in the coffin for me is that when into looking into doing a refreshed ecu they claim a raised rpms limit. I'm not seeing that his bike has that. That alone makes me question if they even did anything to his ecu.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts