Honda CB1000R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks very cool - it is a new rear axle with the mounting hub and a full strip down of the hub assembly ( seals, clips, bearings etc ) by the look of it.

As he mentioned the front discs don't fit the wheel and have to be carefully re-drilled.

Even with eBay parts I reckon it's a good £6-700 job ( maybe even without VFR discs) - the four stud route and possible new front may be cheaper ...the new style wheels look amazing though !

The new VFR hasn't been out long so parts are sure to be rare and expensive...

I'm still interested in a front wheel conversion to a multi spoked VFR wheel.
You'd think I'd be a great resource for finding a front wheel given my position at Honda, but I don't have access to blue prints. I've bugged some guys but they can't release the pdf to me and they have to do a fair amount of searching to verify disc offset, axle size, spacer size, hub width, bolt pattern, etc etc.

I know for a fact the VFR800, RC51, CBR600F3 and a few other bikes would work with some rotors off of other bikes. RC45, CBR1100XX and some other bikes have rotors that should be able to bolt on to one of the aforementioned wheels with little to no mods needed.

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
Rear is super simple. Remove the gigantic axle nut, remove axle and rotor, install new axle and rotor, bolt on wheel! I will be putting together a parts list and procedure later today. Glad y'all like it!
awesome - thanks ! Bike looks great - the only other options have been few/far between ! - the bike looks really cool !

·
Registered
543 Posts
Can't wait for parts list and procedure.. Thanks for taking the time to do it... I'm gonna have to copy you lol... Although it sounds expensive enough to be a long term project lol... Best wheel setup I've seen

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi machrider, looks good,i'm loving the backdrop...visited the US last october,doing same this october ,arrive at LAX ,had to drive to phoenix because of our rifles [we shoot in the western games [national comp] at Ben avery range] drove part of route 66 there and back, that photo makes me think of 66 from kingman to oatman [fantastic] wished i'd been riding my cb1000r or my cb1300X4, sedona would be great ride as well, and monument valley :D ...i just did'nt want to come home [the UK]..all the best....phil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude that wheels look amazing, I just registered to the site cause of your post.

So as the other guys I would really appreciate a partlist for this mod.

I'm wondering if maybe the the VFR1200 wheels could work out as well. The bike is a little longer on the market and the chance to get some used wheels is bigger (at least here in Germany).
Also the design with less spokes would look great from my point of view.

Front wheel has same dimensions 17x3.5 but bigger rotors. Maybe rotors could be exchanged with 800's as they also have 5 bolts but not sure if the bolt circle has same diameter.
Also axle and spacer could be different.

Rear wheel could work as it is just slightly bigger 17x6 instead of 17x5.5. Bolt circle looks similar and should work with 800's axle. Problem could be the wheel offset, maybe it is not centered.

As I own a model with ABS it would be important for me to keep that working. From a first look the sensor ring of the 800's rear wheel looks like it matches the pattern but this has to be measured, the offset to the sensor as well. For the front wheel I guess it would be the easiest solution to have a little adapter to connect the cb's sensor ring with the vfr rotor (assuming the rotor has the same offset as the cb's).

Unfortunately this will not work for me if the rotors have different offset. Redrilling like you did would not be accepted by technical inspection.

Is there any information you can share? For ABS i guess not as from your pictures i couldn't find a sensor ring. But maybe for the 1200's wheels, did you chose the 800's for a reason or just cause you had the opportunity to get them?

Greetings Toni

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bump... Any updates on part list OP?

What's a fair price for a wheel? There's a front on eBay for 250 USD... I'll be starting to gather parts in October once we move into new house

·
Registered
747 Posts
was looking better at this swap
after few hours of workshop (with new motorbikes :D)
vfr 800>2014 five holes rotors are 8.5 mm offset
cb1000 12.5mm offset
thats mean
If U want to fit a complete vfr front wheel/discs , U will need to have one 4.2 mm spacers for side and longer bolts
OR (not my case:mad:)
If is not a abs bike , easy way
1th: discs from vfr 1200 f (same bolt pattern, 12.5 mm offset ,320 mm )
2nd: due 10 mm bigger discs ; oem honda parts , 4x 51497MELD20 spacers , 4x 90131MELD20 bolts
parts are from cbr1000rr 2006>2016 (not sp)

abs version note about sensors and phonic wheels
rear u will need a oem vfr unit , same position (direct swap)
front aswell need of vfr oem part , sensor on CB caliper hanger must be spaced out 0.15

Those wheels (and hubs) are like hens teeth over here in the UK - the 1200s hoops look as though a similar thing could be done but the wheels on the bigger VFR aren't quite as nice ....
for front 1200 wheels there are no problems
rear wheel came with another offset , see really hard to swap on c1k (but i will get some quotes)

·
Registered
747 Posts
if U re referring to 800
i did not took out the whole hub , as i used new bikes for this test (those bikes are oblivious not "mine" :rolleyes:)
for sure all 750-800 vfr hubs are really similar may old 800/800vtec bit bigger o.d.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey MachRider, what size tire do you run on the 750 wheel? I just purchased one, so I'm waiting for the wheel to arrive.
THanks,
LSUSYCO

·
Administrator
4,050 Posts
Hey MachRider, what size tire do you run on the 750 wheel? I just purchased one, so I'm waiting for the wheel to arrive.
THanks,
LSUSYCO

I've got the same conversion and you need to check the rim width which will be cast into the wheel (or measure with a tape if there's no tyre on) - in inches :

5-00 = 170 section tyre
5-50 = 180 section tyre

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've got the same conversion and you need to check the rim width which will be cast into the wheel (or measure with a tape if there's no tyre on) - in inches :

5-00 = 170 section tyre
5-50 = 180 section tyre
5 inch are 5 spokes rounded
5,5 are 7 spokes or 5 but squared
:thumbup

21 - 40 of 49 Posts