Honda CB1000R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle Hey all, this is my first post! Purchased a used CB1000R a few weeks ago. Been wanting one for a bit now and finally got one for a great price in mint condition. I've never been a huge fan of the stock wheels, so I had been doing some research on what it would take to fit different wheels. I am a Honda motorcycle mechanic by trade, and I just so happened to come across a 2014 VFR800 wheel with a few scratches on it for next to nothing. This gave me the idea to potentially pursue a rear wheel. I managed to score a used rear wheel from a fellow in the UK for super cheap as well on eBay. The swing arm on the CB is surprisingly similar to the new VFR800's, with the exception of the 5 bolt wheel lugs on the VFR and 4 lugs on the CB. I ordered the VFR rear axle, and brake rotor, and it's a direct bolt on...Score! Front wheel was not as simple...I was able to order one of the spacers from the VFR, and in conjunction with the stock CB spacer, it was properly centered. I measured the offset of the brake rotors with the stock CB rotors on the VFR wheel and it was identical. Only problem is the VFR wheel seems to be the only wheel I've ever seen on a Honda with 5 bolt rotors. I wasn't willing to spend $800 on new VFR rotors and see if they had the same offset, so I had a machine shop drill me out corresponding 5 bolt holes on the original CB rotors. Maybe if I can find a set of VFR rotors for cheap I'll give it a try sometime. As it is, everything lines up perfectly and the bike looks tons better if you ask me! Glad to be a member of the site, cheers!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome!

Gotta post some more pics. I've been running a VFR750 wheel for a while and was curious about my options for a front. Did you do any measuring?

The new VFR800 wheel looks class!! Wish it was 4 lug so my lazy arse could have just done a direct bolt-on.

Where are you from?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport

·
Registered
887 Posts
You guys and your fancy smancy VFR wheels. Yeah yeah, they look great. Now I'm going to go look at my stock CB wheels :-(

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Welcome! Awesome first post !

Can you upload a bigger pic?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
You guys and your fancy smancy VFR wheels. Yeah yeah, they look great. Now I'm going to go look at my stock CB wheels :-(
The unique wheel design on the CB is one of the many things that first attracted me to the bike. Bag on them all you want, I still like the look of the OEM wheels. (Not that the VFR wheels look bad or anything)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From Columbia,South Carolina. The rotor offset was identical on the VFR wheel with the CB rotors. The inner bearing width was smaller on the VFR wheel, but the axle size was identical. I experimented with the OEM spacers from the CB and the VFR. I found that the CB right side spacer(longer of the two) and the VFR spacer(both sides are identical) put the wheel exactly where it needed to be with the CB axle mounted to factory spec. Reusing the CB rotors with drilled rotors is a cheesy fix, but I didn't feel like dropping a ton of $$$ on VFR rotors without knowing the offset. I haven't decided if I plan on keeping the bronze color or getting the powdercoated gloss black. The black looks sharp on yours!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Looks great! :thumbup I kinda dig the bronze.

It would look much better with the swingarm brackets and steps blacked out or at least a darker silver/grey. (Just my opinion, though) Do you like the silver?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great! :thumbup I kinda dig the bronze.

It would look much better with the swingarm brackets and steps blacked out or at least a darker silver/grey. (Just my opinion, though) Do you like the silver?
Side plates and rear sets will be getting powdercoated satin black soon. I agree, bronze will look much better after that. Too bad it would cost a fortune to get the outer fork tubes anodized black and ditch the gold bars. It's only money, right?!

·
Administrator
4,051 Posts
Dude those look awesome. I'm going to have to go look into that... definitely looks better than my 750F setup.
Looks very cool - it is a new rear axle with the mounting hub and a full strip down of the hub assembly ( seals, clips, bearings etc ) by the look of it.

As he mentioned the front discs don't fit the wheel and have to be carefully re-drilled.

Even with eBay parts I reckon it's a good £6-700 job ( maybe even without VFR discs) - the four stud route and possible new front may be cheaper ...the new style wheels look amazing though !

The new VFR hasn't been out long so parts are sure to be rare and expensive...

I'm still interested in a front wheel conversion to a multi spoked VFR wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rear is super simple. Remove the gigantic axle nut, remove axle and rotor, install new axle and rotor, bolt on wheel! I will be putting together a parts list and procedure later today. Glad y'all like it!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts