ride-by-wire & WOT
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member vampire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    32
    Member #
    119

    ride-by-wire & WOT

    I have noticed that full throttle does not represent full throttle!
    how to explain this?

    In 6th gear, when I roll off WOT by 5mm (maybe less),, bike accelerate harder than full throttle. very noticeable.
    I can say WOT = 90-95% throttle

    anybody else noticed this?
    spun out '

  2. #2
    Senior Member COLVERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,804
    Member #
    1038
    Liked
    714 times
    There's a good reason for that. The manufacturers know that the power output of these latest bikes is more than the average rider can handle.

    To that end they have taken some of this power out of the hands of the rider and have given it to the ECU.
    This makes unskilled riders feel that they are in control of all this power, but they are not.---The thing that you have noticed is the ECU managing you and not the other way round.---
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

  3. #3
    Senior Member BigOne-94-14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,946
    Member #
    3528
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post
    I have noticed that full throttle does not represent full throttle!
    how to explain this?

    In 6th gear, when I roll off WOT by 5mm (maybe less),, bike accelerate harder than full throttle. very noticeable.
    I can say WOT = 90-95% throttle

    anybody else noticed this?
    Every bike I've owned feels like this. With or without efi and ride-by-wire.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member MachRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    395
    Member #
    2946
    Liked
    25 times
    With throttle by wire, all you're doing is giving the ECM a request for 0-100% throttle opening, the ECM decides how much you really get. Compare a non-TBW Fuel injected bike to a carbureted bike.

    You can actually give a carbureted bike TOO much throttle and it will not accelerate as fast as possible because you're unable to get physics to pull in enough fuel/air. With a fuel injection bike, you can always give the bike an accurate value for the amount of air it gets based on how much throttle opening is, so the ECM knows how to give the appropriate amount of fuel.

    Nowadays, with emissions, the bike will only allow certain amounts of throttle opening despite what you might be asking it. Hell, you could have it like a modern car where you can floor it in Eco mode but all the ECU is going to give you is 60% throttle opening.

  6. #5
    Member vampire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    32
    Member #
    119
    since everything is decided by a computer, why not make WOT = full power?
    imagine you decide to modulate your speed/acceleration from a WOT situation by rolling off millimeters of the throttle, bike will accelerate more.
    this is inconvenient and not safe.
    spun out '

  7. #6
    Senior Member BigOne-94-14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,946
    Member #
    3528
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post
    since everything is decided by a computer, why not make WOT = full power?
    imagine you decide to modulate your speed/acceleration from a WOT situation by rolling off millimeters of the throttle, bike will accelerate more.
    this is inconvenient and not safe.
    Not safe? Like I said, all my bikes do that and have done for decades. It's weird when you encounter it, but if you have the skill to modulate your speed just off full throttle on a litre bike, you'll figure it out..

  8. #7
    Senior Member oldcorollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    576
    Member #
    9082
    Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post
    I have noticed that full throttle does not represent full throttle!
    how to explain this?

    In 6th gear, when I roll off WOT by 5mm (maybe less),, bike accelerate harder than full throttle. very noticeable.
    I can say WOT = 90-95% throttle

    anybody else noticed this?
    at what RPM range?

    hard to imagine it doing this above 7-8000... but in the 4-6000 emissions/low port velocity region, for sure

    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    There's a good reason for that. The manufacturers know that the power output of these latest bikes is more than the average rider can handle.

    To that end they have taken some of this power out of the hands of the rider and have given it to the ECU.
    This makes unskilled riders feel that they are in control of all this power, but they are not.---The thing that you have noticed is the ECU managing you and not the other way round.---
    what twaddle

  9. #8
    Senior Member Apri11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    100
    Member #
    9102
    Quote Originally Posted by vampire View Post
    I have noticed that full throttle does not represent full throttle!
    how to explain this?

    In 6th gear, when I roll off WOT by 5mm (maybe less),, bike accelerate harder than full throttle. very noticeable.
    I can say WOT = 90-95% throttle

    anybody else noticed this?
    I’m confused to what you actually mean sorry. So your WOT in 6th, then roll off 5mm. How does the bike “accelerate harder than full throttle” if you have rolled off from WOT? I’m confused sorry.... anyone explain?

  10. #9
    Member vampire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    32
    Member #
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14
    Not safe? Like I said, all my bikes do that and have done for decades. It's weird when you encounter it, but if you have the skill to modulate your speed just off full throttle on a litre bike, you'll figure it out..
    i'm just whining..

    Quote Originally Posted by Apri11
    How does the bike “accelerate harder than full throttle” if you have rolled off from WOT?
    exactly

    you got that right
    spun out '

  11. #10
    Senior Member COLVERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,804
    Member #
    1038
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    at what RPM range?

    hard to imagine it doing this above 7-8000... but in the 4-6000 emissions/low port velocity region, for sure


    what twaddle
    EXACTLY the same impression I get from some of your poorly thought out posts.


    Look out----Incoming.---------( By the way I DID design part of the guidance system of the rapier missile. )


    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •