Sump paint flaking
    Member #

Sump paint flaking

I have seen a fair few people on the owners group over on FB saying about their sumps paint flaking badly and having had sumps replaced,i check mine regular and its been fine,but after my ride today ive noticed some small chips which look no where near as extreme as the guys who had sumps replaced,my thinking is this is just stones flicking up as i did 170 miles of mainly back roads so possibly gravel etc..does anyone know if the paint colour is something specific as i would like to touch it up because im a fussy fecker and it bugs me!?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wevsky View Post
    I have seen a fair few people on the owners group over on FB saying about their sumps paint flaking badly and having had sumps replaced,i check mine regular and its been fine,but after my ride today ive noticed some small chips which look no where near as extreme as the guys who had sumps replaced,my thinking is this is just stones flicking up as i did 170 miles of mainly back roads so possibly gravel etc..does anyone know if the paint colour is something specific as i would like to touch it up because im a fussy fecker and it bugs me!?
    It's black.

To stop flaking, spray or wipe the cases with ACF50.
    Paint over aluminium is incredibly difficult to make weatherproof...more so when stone chips break the surface.
    A quick treatment a few times a year is all you need.

Also...steer clear of power washers and caustic (truck) washes 100%

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    It's black.

To stop flaking, spray or wipe the cases with ACF50.
    Paint over aluminium is incredibly difficult to make weatherproof...more so when stone chips break the surface.
    A quick treatment a few times a year is all you need.

Also...steer clear of power washers and caustic (truck) washes 100%
    Oddly enough there are different types of black with different finishes..thanks for the input though i just want to touch up a few tiny marks

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Sorry....I wasn't trying to be sarky.
    If it's just a few small marks, have you thought of something like Humbrol enamel?
    Available in gloss, satin and matte.
    Tiny little pots...used mainly by model builders.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Sorry....I wasn't trying to be sarky.
    If it's just a few small marks, have you thought of something like Humbrol enamel?
    Available in gloss, satin and matte.
    Tiny little pots...used mainly by model builders.
    I removed my initial "no shit sherlock" reply but yeah im looking at different small pots i can literally use one of the wifes artist brushes to touch up,ive sprayed/wiped some acf50 on ,im more worried its going to peel like the numerous other peoples sumps who have had to get replacements from honda if im honest,but im fairly sure its just stones flicking up from a rather dirty back road ride yesterday,not sure though if its matt or satin,no ones going to see it if it doesnt match but i will of course know its there

Sponsored Links