2172 miles. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: 2172 miles.

  1. #11
    Senior Member COLVERT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,669
    Member #
    1038
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    Lord, man, you're riding like a grampa! Oh, wait...
    Actually you wouldn't say that if you tried to keep up with me through the twisties. Very rarely accelerate hard in the first three gears. I tend to give the top three gears a bit of stick though at times. ( As a number of French riders have found out recently. Lol. ) I'm sure they would be shocked to find out the age of the guy they are competing against.

    I'm very competitive and just can't stop myself from having a go.------We have some very good roads near where I live with some nice fast curves. Some I can manage in the 80 to 100 mph region.---I know I shouldn't but I just do.---
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

  2. #12
    Senior Member MachRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    387
    Member #
    2946
    Liked
    25 times
    I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's installed on my VFR750. 4,500 miles in and there's hardly any wear. I might run these on the CB next.

  3. #13
    Member Hamehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Tyler, Tx.
    Posts
    70
    Member #
    6281
    Seems that side wear is about in line with the middle! You might just need sticky!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member BigOne-94-14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,849
    Member #
    3528
    Liked
    228 times
    Road 5s are plenty sticky. I wore those S21s down with almost 100% winter riding. I can get 7k+++ miles from summer riding that includes track days on Road 5s. As far as I am concerned, 'sticky' just means 'wears fast'.
    Last edited by BigOne-94-14; 04-04-2019 at 12:21 AM.

  6. #15
    Senior Member doser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Member #
    2725
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MachRider View Post
    I have a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's installed on my VFR750. 4,500 miles in and there's hardly any wear. I might run these on the CB next.
    Machrider, first, welcome back. It's been quite some time since you've graced our pages with your presence!

    As for tires, your experience with 'sticky' tires exactly matched mine. I'm a Pirelli fan, and I've mounted Corsas a couple times. I only put them on when i know I've got track days plus a week of 'hot' riding coming... and I've never gotten 4000 kms (2500 miles) out of rear yet. For me, it's worth it now and again, but not as a steady diet!

    I think the Road 5s are the best tires on the market at the moment. Superb grip, reasonable feel, excellent tip-in profile, and great durability. I've run a couple sets now, and I get 10,000 kms rear and 15k kms front.

    Avoid the Roadsmarts, would be my advice. Yah, you get lotsa mileage, and I've run them a couple times when I've 'burned out' tires on long tours and nothing else was available, but they seem to be to be the most 'dead' tire imaginable! Tread from old hockey pucks?
    piling the mileage on...

  7. #16
    Senior Member doser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Member #
    2725
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    Road 5s are plenty sticky. I wore those S21s down with almost 100% winter riding. I can get 7k+++ miles from summer riding that includes track days. As far as I am concerned, 'sticky' just means 'wears fast'.
    BigOne, do you actually track the Road 5s? You're fast... don't you get creeped out by the 'creep' that you get with siped tires in harder, higher speed corners? I certainly notice it, and it tightens my sphincter and causes my right wrist to rotate forwards...
    piling the mileage on...

  8. #17
    Senior Member BigOne-94-14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,849
    Member #
    3528
    Liked
    228 times
    I have tracked the Road 5s with my CBR1000RR. I made 2:10 laps on Thunderhill East, and was told

    A) I probably shouldn't be able to go that fast with sports-touring tyres
    B) I better get Dot (racing) tyres for my next visit :-)

    Road 5s have no siping once cranked over. When you are running on the edge, they are basically slicks, as you can see from what I got fitted this afternoon.


    Name:  20190403_152506.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  2.93 MB
    Last edited by BigOne-94-14; 04-04-2019 at 12:19 AM.

  9. #18
    Senior Member doser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Member #
    2725
    Liked
    244 times
    ^^^ nicely done. good times!
    and point taken about the 'solid' edges. my experiences with 'creeping' were based on backcountry roads, where you're not at anywhere near the lean angle you can get on a track... if you're interested in a long life!
    piling the mileage on...

  10. #19
    Senior Member MachRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    387
    Member #
    2946
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    Machrider, first, welcome back. It's been quite some time since you've graced our pages with your presence!

    As for tires, your experience with 'sticky' tires exactly matched mine. I'm a Pirelli fan, and I've mounted Corsas a couple times. I only put them on when i know I've got track days plus a week of 'hot' riding coming... and I've never gotten 4000 kms (2500 miles) out of rear yet. For me, it's worth it now and again, but not as a steady diet!

    I think the Road 5s are the best tires on the market at the moment. Superb grip, reasonable feel, excellent tip-in profile, and great durability. I've run a couple sets now, and I get 10,000 kms rear and 15k kms front.

    Avoid the Roadsmarts, would be my advice. Yah, you get lotsa mileage, and I've run them a couple times when I've 'burned out' tires on long tours and nothing else was available, but they seem to be to be the most 'dead' tire imaginable! Tread from old hockey pucks?
    Yo! I haven't been on the CB much through 2017/2018 due to a nightmare of a suspension dilemma. Bike is back in action now.

    While my VFR is definitely a great bike, it's not as fast or harsh on the tires as the CB. It's also running a 170 rear, which makes it easier to see that I'm on the edge of the tire.

    Bought this VFR because the CB was out of commision, it was a steal. Bought it, titled it, put tires on it, took it to Laguna Seca for World SBK and took it on a few canyon rides. The tires have performed pretty good but I also don't thrash this thing about quite so much. About 4,000 miles since June when I bought it.

    My CB has pretty much only been graced with Dunlop Q3's. Currently on Q3+ which are supposed to give me more mileage, but we'll see about that this Summer.

  11. #20
    Member Tangor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mountain Home, AR
    Posts
    84
    Member #
    3618
    I got about 1,900 out of my S21 rear. I put on a Bridgestone T31 and will stick with the S21 on the front. I'm over 4K on the T31 that is on my FJR and am very pleased with it. Good all around performance in both the dry and the wet.
    2018 Honda CB1000R
    2017 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
    2003 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Miles per gallon - first 500 miles running in
    By fastfd in forum CB1000R General
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
  2. 1000 miles in one week my observations
    By white lightning in forum CB1000R General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM
  3. 1,000 Miles In
    By Antnee in forum CB1000R General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM
  4. 1st 400 miles - 1st impressions
    By Speighty in forum CB1000R General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
  5. 446 Miles Down: My Opinions So Far
    By Antnee in forum CB1000R General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM