Quickshifter hooks when shift down. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member #
    I managed to get out for a good ride yesterday and I concluded the following when using the quickshifter..
    1) always leave the throttle in the same position - if you change the throttle posoition during, or just before, changing gear the electronics and mechanicals tend to argue with you..
    2) up and down shifts can be performed at any revs (I didn't try to see what happened if I tied to downshift near the rev limiter...)

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    1) disagree. I ride using clutchless changes all the time on this and my other bikes. If I do them on this bike, using the exact same throttle control techniques, I get clean shifts. In other words with the right technique, i can ride as if there is no QS or blipper.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    I'VE ONLY GOT THE OLD MODEL AND NO QUICK SHIFTER.-----

However I have spent LOTS of time trying to perfect my gear change using less and less clutch. I've found, like others have, that I'm at the stage of not using the clutch at all on up changes which now are VERY fast and totally silent. ( No crunching gears. )

On slowing down I use the old adage of---Gears are for going and brakes are for slowing---And if
    I want to change down at higher revs and speed then I put a light pressure on the gear lever then blip the throttle.--As the gears match speed they mesh instantly.

It seems that quite a few Quick Shifters have tendency to abuse the gears from time to time.----

I, personally can do without all those little hard bits of steel whizzing around in my gearbox.

On a track maybe the quick shifter is the way to go but who really needs it on the road ???

I've heard that dropping down a gear at too high revs can, on a wet surface, lock the back wheel and you quickly find yourself rubber side up.---Yikes.

It's just my opinion but I think the quick shifter is one of those rider aids you could manage quite well without.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    That's BS. It's happy to DS at least up to 6-7krpm smoothly. Ride it like you stole it 😉

US can be smooth at both low or high revs, low or high throttle, although there is some part of lower throttle range where can be a bit hesitant...
    Think he means the throttle needs to be shut off ,says so in the manual as it did with my 2017 fireblade,sometimes the down shifts i get a little surge when knicking it down a gear,i always clutch shift 1st into 2nd and vice versa as its further for the peddle to travel and ive hit neutral once or twice

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wevsky View Post
    Think he means the throttle needs to be shut off ,says so in the manual as it did with my 2017 fireblade,sometimes the down shifts i get a little surge when knicking it down a gear,i always clutch shift 1st into 2nd and vice versa as its further for the peddle to travel and ive hit neutral once or twice
    That is indeed exactly what I meant.

Member #
    What you said was
    "Downshifts are only supposed to be done with the revs at tickover, ie off the throttle.

You shouldn't be downshifting with revs at 3 to 4000 rpm."

That's BS, as downshifts at higher rpm are perfectly fine. (You can, with just the right amount of clutch, get the QS to blip revs without changing gear... The blip can raise revs quite a lot and seems proportional to rpm, as it should be)

The throttle doesn't actually need to be completely closed though, but you get a feel for how much throttle and rpm are ok

Obviously i'm not advocating shifting 2-1 at 7000rpm, but what's the point of having a blipping upshifter if you only use it when stopping? Ie, revs below 3k.. it works well in a wide range of conditions
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 05-14-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Downshifting works much more smoothly above 4k. Yes with throttle closed, or near enough.

Member #
    @ bigone-94-1. I thought the same, until I tried downshifting with a static throttle and it downshifts at whatever revs you like. just don't change the throttle (i.e. revs) whilst doing it. the same goes with the throttle closed it doesn't matter what revs you are doing, it will downshift.
    the previous bike was a gsxr-750 and that would easily downshift without a clutch, but only at specific revs (or a harmonic of those revs). The CB with the quickshift, it will do change any revs...

Member #
    apparently it will downshift while accelerating too...

just not very nicely :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links