Honda CB1000R Forum banner

17 Teeth , Help

13K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  suzukijo 
#1 ·
Thinking of going up 1 tooth from standard to see if it makes much differance to miles per tank.
It's a SHITE way of saving dosh but at this rate the f***ers are gona drive us off the road due to rising fuel costs.
Any one know of a seller for a renthal front sprocket that fits the bill .. 17 tooth.
Cheers Dave

#3 ·
BrutusFureus said:
Thinking of going up 1 tooth from standard to see if it makes much differance to miles per tank.
It's a SHITE way of saving dosh but at this rate the f***ers are gona drive us off the road due to rising fuel costs.
Any one know of a seller for a renthal front sprocket that fits the bill .. 17 tooth.
Cheers Dave

Surely you would be better off keeping the rev's down instead. Going up a tooth will in theory give you a higher top speed but thats no good really is it. Just keep it in top and keep the revs down its the only sensible way I would have thought when you got a bike that can break the uk speed limit in first gear. :notme

#5 ·
lardy said:
BrutusFureus said:
Cheers Dave

Surely you would be better off keeping the rev's down instead. Going up a tooth will in theory give you a higher top speed but thats no good really is it. Just keep it in top and keep the revs down its the only sensible way I would have thought when you got a bike that can break the uk speed limit in first gear. :notme
Agree to a point mate ,, But.. If i,m doing say? 80mph on the motorway for 100 mile .. wouldn,t it make more sense
to reduce engine rpm and there for reduce fuel consumption in the process..

#6 ·
Have you ever tried the website (gearingcommander) tells you what speed etc you will be doing at what revs with your bike and which gearing you choose, Its a good site. es you are right that if you were in top doing 80 for 100 miles and had a larger sprocket then yes you should do more to the gallon.

#9 ·
Believe me, I ride often with BrutusFerus and we use the NAKED as a NAKED should be. He's on about saving a few bob througout the rev range, it all helps at the end of the day.

sam said:
Why did you buy a naked, nimble bike if you regularly sit at 80 for ages in a straight line? Buy a cheap faired plodder and save the cb for tank supping pay day White knuckle fun!! :p

#10 ·
Trying to save fuel by reducing the revs may not be your answer. If it makes the bike slightly less responsive in acceleration you may use greater throttle openings to get the same performance - back to square one.

At a steady 80 it will depend whether the engine runs more efficiently at the reduced revs or not. If it does you'll save fuel, if it doesn't you won't. Just running lower rpm won't save fuel per se. If the engine is less efficient you'll need larger throttle opening to maintain speed.

Worth a try perhaps. As for top speed, increased ratios can reduce top speed too if the engine can't pull the gear.

#12 ·
Who cares about mpg on the CB, its not an essential mode of transport, , get a smart car or something if you want to save pennies when travelling, the CB is about the big grin on your face when you twist the throttle, the sound it makes and the Sunday all day blast. :thumbup

#13 ·
Mr Nice said:
Who cares about mpg on the CB, its not an essential mode of transport, , get a smart car or something if you want to save pennies when travelling, the CB is about the big grin on your face when you twist the throttle, the sound it makes and the Sunday all day blast. :thumbup

Well said Jack :lol :thumbup

#14 ·
blade said:
Mr Nice said:

Well said Jack :lol :thumbup

#18 ·
:stop Ah for fuk sake man! I was sticking up for a mate! :finger if he wants to change to a 17t then so be it!

I was thinking the same after he mentioned it. You can still have a blast with the throttle even with an extra tooth up front. I know its all personal choice at the end of the day and IF IT DOES HELP then great! IF NOT IT WAS WORTH A TRY, do you lot never ask for advice on here?????. Or do you just like to take the piss......Cnuts. :devil

#23 ·
clem71 said:
:stop Ah for fuk sake man! I was sticking up for a mate! :finger if he wants to change to a 17t then so be it!

I was thinking the same after he mentioned it. You can still have a blast with the throttle even with an extra tooth up front. I know its all personal choice at the end of the day and IF IT DOES HELP then great! IF NOT IT WAS WORTH A TRY, do you lot never ask for advice on here?????. Or do you just like to take the piss......Cnuts. :devil
:shake

#24 ·
BrutusFureus said:
Cheers Dave
Perhaps you should get one of these if you want MPG from your biking :lol :lol

#26 ·
BrutusFureus said:
Cheers Dave
Ask a reasonable Question,, Get replys from ,, i guess quite a few really wealthy knee
draging experts who obviously are not affected by any of the financial Burrdons that are being imposed against us at present. Am willing to tag along with any one on CB1 that could show me how to ride on any thing other than a straight road ,, Hopefully i may be able to KEEP UP.
Could someone tell me THE CORRECT way to ride a NAKED bike. Many thanks Dave. :pray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.