Nelson-Rigg tail bag with modified attachment straps
    Member #
    Liked
    244 times

Nelson-Rigg tail bag with modified attachment straps

I already have a full-on Shad Sport Plate plus SH40 rear carrier system, but it's nice to have a little tail bag to slap onto the bike for day-trips, just for raingear and a few other odds and sods. There are a number of brands available, but - looking for simplicity, modest price, sleekness of line, and general 'fit' to the rear seat on the CB - I decided the Nelson Rigg CL1060 was 'best' for my needs. Problem is, the attachment system consists of 4 straps which loop onto the bike ( peg or exhaust hangers or whatever ), then clip up to the bag. This is secure, but ugly!

But it's only nylon webbing, so it's easier to do better...

Each of the 4 straps consists of 30" / 75cm of 1" / 25mm nylon webbing, with a loop sewn into one end, and a 'clip' (visible above) mounted on the free length. These straps are easily modified to give a 'clean' mounting.

1. Cut the loop end off of two of the straps to create two straps carrying clips, each 10" / 25cm long. Fuse the cut end with a match or (better) on a hot stove burner. About 3/4" / 15mm from the end of the strap, melt a hole thru the nylon - simplest is just to super-heat a nail on a stove burner using pliers, then melt away! The hole needs to be about 5mm / 1/4" in diameter. Attach each of these straps to the bottom front corner of rear seat, using the nut and bolt which Honda has helpfully provided to hold the rear seat grip strap. These straps clip to the front of the bag. Comme ca:

2. Cut the stitching holding the loop together out of BOTH of the other straps. Slide the clip and elastic retainer off one of the straps and reposition them on the second, mirroring the clip and retainer positioning on the other end. Get a shoe- or luggage-repair shop to pop a few stitches into the 'open' end to duplicate the folded back 'stopper' on the opposite end. (This is not necessary, but is best.) Set at proper length, this strap lies thru the 'groove' in the underside of the rear part of the seat, clipping to the back of the bag. Like this:

The left-over chunk of nylon webbing goes in the trash...

And here's how the system looks in final form:

So far, I'm happy. The clips are not nearly as easy to detach as side-release buckles, which I wish N-R had used, but they perhaps provide a bit better security and they're lower profile. And for me, getting the tail-bag on and off the bike is seldom an issue, cuz I use my 'full', hard, Shad system for touring, shopping, etc. The only other quibble is that you need to be careful not to lose the 'loose' rear strap - for me, it goes into the tail bag inner pocket whenever it's not attached to something!

Cheers,
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    Grand job doser. I would of done the exact same thing it looks far neater
    One Life. Live it to its full. Black ones are the fast ones

R I P Simoncelli

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    I still think bolting a small topbox to the rear seat is the best solution...................... But that's a neat job too.....
    Gargoyle's Tourer.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    I think I would have bungee it to the straps that are already under the seat ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    I think I would have bungee it to the straps that are already under the seat ;-)
    yah, I considered that strongly, but

(a) there's no attachment point at the front... 'cept I already dealt with that...
    https://www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/m...rear-seat.html

and (b) the spacing between the under-seat points and the rings on the bag is too short to do anything with... at least, so far as I could see.
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I still think bolting a small topbox to the rear seat is the best solution...................... But that's a neat job too.....
    been there, done that. this is just for 'teeny' uses...
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm looking at luggage for a trip next month, been looking at tail packs. I'm on the verge of punting for a Kriega US20 mainly for the good reviews and the mounting looks like how you've mounted this one.

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    yah, the Kreigas have a great reputation for quality of materials and construction, and seem really well designed. and being fully waterproof is a significant bonus.
    my interest in the soft tail-bag was only as a secondary system; I've got the Shad for 'big' trips!
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Nice tidy job Doser

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    follow-up: I didn't much like the original buckle system, which was secure but hard to snap off, thus making it difficult to remove the bag for lunch, etc, so I got a shoemaker to stitch on quick release buckle. also, the pack sat a bit forward and I could feel it against my back when I slid back on the saddle, so I had the QR buckle sewn on in front of the positioning of the originals. now totally content...

piling the mileage on...

Sponsored Links