help please need exhaust advise.
    Member #

help please need exhaust advise.

Installed a yosh r77 super excited to get it and drop some pounds and pick up some power. Love the way it looks and sounds. I am however having a issue with breathing in too much exhaust gas. At lights its horrible, I can even smell it while riding at speeds up to 35. I have checked for leaks and as far as I can tell there are none. I normally wouldn't care but today it got me kind of woozy and now i have a horrible headache. The exhaust gas smells extremely rich and its more potent than a normal exhaust smell. my gas mileage has gone to poop as well. Its so bad that i don't really enjoy riding it at the moment. It also pops and backfires a ton when I get on it and let off. Is it just the new can breaking in? got about 100mi on it already. never experienced anything like this. Is this the price I pay for a shorty can? also is anyone out there getting the bike to roll on wheelie in second? for a 1000 it feels kind of gutless. pipe helped but the gains feel minor. thoughts. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Remember that you now have no filtering of the fumes anymore because of the removal of your catalytic converter(decat)..I'm thinking maybe your bike was running a little rich to start with and the fitting of the new pipe has made it bit more richer..Especially if you say your fuel usage has gone up more than usual..Sometimes just fitting the new pipe will make it run richer or leaner...Fitting a Power Commander and getting a dyno tune would solve all these issues but it's not always affordable for most people and not always a necessity..
    A little popping and crackling is normal on deceleration but not on acceleration,which points to your bike running rich..The popping and crackling is the unburnt fuel being burnt off before leaving your pipe..A small mod by blocking off the hose that lets air in to do this also helps a bit too..
    After a Power Commander is fitted and you have a dyno tune you will have no troubles lifting your front wheel..It also depends on a few things like..Your weight?..How much fuel in your tank?..I'm 6ft tall and weigh a bit more than i'd like to but i can still get the front wheel up now and then.....
    Hope this helps you mate..
    ..J.D..

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    This is one of the consequences that can occur when we start to modify the prerequisites of the engine.

To get a optimal combustion when you alter something in the engine you most of the time also have to change something else. Do you understand my bad english?

For example,
    When you alter the exhaust or intake you have to change the fueling to maintain the original behaviour.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    714 times

If it is running correctly it will wheelie quite easily in second.

If I want the front wheel to stay on the floor I go a bit easier on the throttle.

( ME----5-11. 12 stone. )

PS. With the limited tuning you have done, it has made you LOOSE power and upset the fueling. ( Less mpg. ) You now, as said above, must do a bit more tuning and spend a bit more cash in an attempt to make the bits on the bike match your exhaust.

You are now entering the empty your wallet mode.

Last edited by COLVERT; 07-05-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Yeah you need a power commander. You're running too rich.

Member #
    got off the phone with yosh, they stated that the r77 is fine to run without a power commander and it was designed for a stock bike. Im not worried about the funds for tuning just worried about finding a dyno center. power has always felt lacking for a 1000 my old 600f4 was faster. I know the bike is down tuned but it wont even fully clutch up second which is pathetic. going to have to spend some dough i guess. or something is very wrong

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Before you start spending a load more check you're not restricting the intake of air. Do you have a blockage or is your filter old. Also one of your sensors may be faulty so it thinks its cold thus runs rich.

Also have you reset your ECU to the new setup?.

If these are all ok you have to consider you have changed the breathing characteristics of the engine.

TBF the boffins at honda have spend gizillions on R&D on the stock exhaust to conform with noise and emmission reg around the world. In addition the ECU is mapped to this exhaust with the regs in mind. Unfortunately this has resulted in a heavy not too good sounding exhaust.

As you have changed the way the engine breathes you have ultimately affected the AFR in the engine. Some exhausts cause the engine to run lean some rich. Within a certain range the ECU can cope, but remember the base map is for the OEM system. There may be points where the difference is too large for the ECU to compensate the fuelling thus you may notice a drop in performance.

Having looked at the online PCV map for the yoshi between 15% - 20& throttle pretty much about the whole rev range fuel is taken away ie if you run the stock map you will probably run rich.

I suggest before you put a whole load of cash into a PCV and map that you go to the dyno just to have a power run - this is inexpensive. The tech will be able to quickly tell you whats the story.

Hope this helps

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Iver CB View Post
    Before you start spending a load more check you're not restricting the intake of air. Do you have a blockage or is your filter old. Also one of your sensors may be faulty so it thinks its cold thus runs rich.

If these are all ok you have to consider you have changed the breathing characteristics of the engine.

TBF the boffins at honda have spend gizillions on R&D on the stock exhaust to conform with noise and emmission reg around the world. In addition the ECU is mapped to this exhaust with the regs in mind. Unfortunately this has resulted in a heavy not too good sounding exhaust.

As you have changed the way the engine breathes you have ultimately affected the AFR in the engine. Some exhausts cause the engine to run lean some rich. Within a certain range the ECU can cope, but remember the base map is for the OEM system. There may be points where the difference is too large for the ECU to compensate the fuelling thus you may notice a drop in performance.

Having looked at the online PCV map for the yoshi between 15% - 20& throttle pretty much about the whole rev range fuel is taken away ie if you run the stock map you will probably run rich.

I suggest before you put a whole load of cash into a PCV and map that you go to the dyno just to have a power run - this is inexpensive. The tech will be able to quickly tell you whats the story.

Hope this helps
    Thats interesting what you say about the E.C.U. Making minor adjustments. Ive put a scorpion end can on mine' bought from my Honda dealer and fitted today. the bike sounds awesome,I was'nt expecting any performance increase just a better sound, but the bike feels much sharper, I know a louder pipe can sometimes make things feel faster because of the noise. But Im sure its quicker, I wonder if the E.C.U. WIll adjust with just a can. Im well pleased with it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Iver CB View Post

Hope this helps
    how does one reset the ecu? the bike is a couple months old, so the air filter is fine. wouldn't it throw a check engine light if the o2 sensor or another sensor was not functioning correct? thanks

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FTWFTP View Post
    how does one reset the ecu? the bike is a couple months old, so the air filter is fine. wouldn't it throw a check engine light if the o2 sensor or another sensor was not functioning correct? thanks
    ECU reset instructions are here https://www.hondacb1000r.com/forums/c...ecu-reset.html . I prefer to leave the battery disconnected overnight just to make sure.

With regards to EML it definitely lights if the lambda is faulty as the other sensors I don't know.

Sponsored Links