Front fork upgrade
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Front fork upgrade

Long time no see But I've been out riding all summer, included 4000 km in the alps. But now I need some help from you guys. I have read all the fork/shock/spring threads here I think. But I still have some questions. Been looking at some Ohlins springs for my front. And there are two different one. One with a spring rate of 0.90 and one with 0.95.. What does that mean? And are there other brands that make even stiffer springs?
    I weigh around 120kg with gear (19 stones according to Google). I have maxed out the preload now, to see if it helped, and I didn't think it did. It just made it uncomfortable to ride. And do I need to change any other stuff inside the fork. I'm not a track junkie, so its not for setting records and stuff. But the original was just way to soft.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    i would also go for heavier oil. i've just put 15W oil (standard is 10W) .heavier will mean that the forks wont compress as much from your weight
    HRC Repsol (my bike now)
    Whiteout (what it started out like)

PS125, CBF600, Hornet 600, CB1000R
    "its like a hornet on 'roids!"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    There is actually another thread here saying you should go with lighter oil (7,5) when changing the springs

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    yep, changed my springs and had lighter oil put in

heavy oil will only disguise and failings in the springs

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Fuck me Suspension is a bloody mix of religion and science Did you do anything else than changing the springs? What does "revalve" mean?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Revalve kit not required for this kit, i did it to my 600rr and it was the one mod i hated wasting money on. the 0.95kg spring rating is best for the heavier bloke. im 6ft and 100kg

Contact your local suspension guy with a enquiry and ask them for a "Quote" it will cost you nothing and they will tell you the ins and outs of it all.

for the novice and to simply explain
    revalve kit is just a bunch of washers of differant sizing and they are placed within to help with balancing the fork fluid moving about within.

Simply fork springs and oil will do the job, thats what im planning on.

Also brand names for the springs in the forks not required, the suspension guys fitting them may use another brand, and i have seen stuff on ebay from germany and it includes the oil for cheaper then the ohlins springs themselves.

in germany/ebay in germany remember the bike is called a Honda SC60, or PM me and i will find the springs for you if you like, as i have it saved for a future referance. Just buy ohlins if its cheaper / as cheap as what you would buy for another brand. As specials do come every now and then.

Good luck and let us know what you went with
    Termi exhaust Carbon 3/4, Cat removed, PCIII, Rizoma Brake /Clutch Tanks, HRC Rear Brake kit, Hel Brake and Clutch leads White front and rear Race Setup, BMC Air Filter, Pazzo White shorty levers Custom HRC Lky 13, MOTY 8 cell battery 700g, Rizoma grips, RAM Custom Mounts, GoPro HD Camera, Custom Seat Covers Luimoto, Puig Hugger and screen, Jon F Undertray White.. Ohlins SD, Ohlins Shock, Racetech Forks fitted.. Opinionated Check... Care Factor... ZERO

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Cheers Talked with the distributor of Ohlins in Norway today. And he did actually recommend me 1.05 or 1.10 springs depending onn omfort level. I've also been trying some calculators on the web and they say the same. Ohlins only makes 0,90 and 0,95?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Check out HyperPro's springkit. They are progressive, so that they "fit" a wider range of drivers.
    I have a HyperPro 3D reardamper om mine, and a HyperPro spring/oil-kit in the front. Drives like it's on rails.

Edit:
    Norway? - I'm from Denmark.
    Try to call Michael from HyperPro Scandinavia. He is located in Denmark, but will probably be very glad to help.
    HYPERPRO
    Hyperpro Suspension Technology | safety & control
    Private phone: +45 30559679

Det skal du nok blive glad for!

Regards / Hilsen
    Emil
    Last edited by The-Rabbit; 08-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    From what I read around, Linear springs seems to be the thing? As longs as they are correct in for your weight. But I do not know, and I'm getting more and more confused tbh. Does anyone here know what the spring-rates are on the original springs?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have used progressive springs on 3 of my bikes now, all with great success.. For track linear springs IS the thing, absolutely. But on the street, where a compromise between comfort and stiffness/firmness is the thing, progressive springs just work great.

Sponsored Links