Air Block Off Plates?
    Member #

Air Block Off Plates?

My mechanic told me that i need ' air block off plates' since i put my Yoshi R77 exhaust on.

Q: Will Air Block Off Plates from a Honda 2007 CBR1000RR fit on my 2011 CB1000r?

His reasoning is that the bike is running lean since the exhaust mod. Also I may ruin the packing in the R77 exhaust.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times

Re: Air Block Off Plates?

I've not heard of anyone having to do this when fitting a new exhaust unless they
    are having the bike dyno'ed,
    fitting a wideband O2 sensor ( Autotune)
    or reducing excessive popping on deceleration.

The PAIR valve ( I assume this is what you are referring to )allows fresh air into the exhaust gas to ignite unburnt fuel, the cause of the popping, it will also confuse the O2 sensor as it will think the bike is running lean, hence why it is blocked off during a dyno run or fitting a wideband sensor.

Cant answer if the block off plates from a Blade will fit a CB1Kr but the same result can be obtained by blocking the pipe that feeds the PAIR valve from the airbox. It can also be done without having to remove the tank and other gubbins.

See viewtopic.php?f=62&t=10395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40 for pictures. The pipe can be blocked by inserting a normal sized marble. I pinched in the marble with 2 zip ties to ensure there was no way it would move.

Jon

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

The air block off plates have nothing to do with your bike running lean. When fresh air is pumped into the exhaust, it creates popping noises that make it sound like the bike is not running right. I've gotten into arguments with mechanics because they didn't know what this system was.

Your bike is running lean because you eliminated the back pressure in the exhaust that held the combustion mixture in the cylinder. The factory exhaust had this pressure engineered into it so that the bike could run extra lean for emissions and sound tests. To fix this, you need a Power Commander and get the proper fuel map for your exhaust. You can still keep your air induction system if you like the popping noises.
    "Fixation is the way to death, fluidity is the way to life." — Miyamoto Musashi

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get the air block off plates because of the popping noise. I was told it will deteriorate the packing in the exhaust.

Iver CB and KNSK you both seem to have different answers about running lean. From what I understand the bike is not running lean it just thinks it is.

Next season I'm going to get it Dyno tuned and a Bazzaz for which i'll need it anyway.

Bazzaz http://bazzaz.net/index.php?option=com_ ... Itemid=135 I just learned what this was so i figured i'd share.

Thanks again for your responce.

Member #
    Liked
    153 times

Like KNSK said it’s the design of the exhaust that effects the AFR in the cylinders, it can go either way rich or lean and will change over the rev range/ throttle openings. This is why some folk opt to change the stock ECU mappings by a Bazzaz or PowerCommander. (BTW is there any reason you've gone for a Bazzaz over a PCV?).

If your bike is running off the optimal AFR ( either lean or rich) blocking the PAIR alone will not help eg it will not correct your AFR if your bike is running lean/rich. ChrisG, I believe, just had his CB+Yoshi dyno’ed so should be able to confirm what the effect of the can has on AFR.

Just to clarify, blocking off the PAIR valve is to stop fresh air entering the exhaust. This only causes a problem if you are using a wideband O2 sensor such as an Autotune, as it makes the sensor think it is in a lean state and thus dumps more fuel into the engine. A secondary effect is that it also reduces the popping.

The main reason for it being there is for emissions purposes.

Jon

Member #
    Liked
    153 times

Just seen adjusted map for the R77 on the Dynojet forum - if you look, with a stock map it generally runs lean at higher revs and throttle position, rich at low revs and throttle position and a mixed bag in-between.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

The main reason for it being there is for emissions purposes.
    The solution to pollution is dilution!

Sponsored Links