OCs '18 CB
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCs '18 CB

Member #

OCs '18 CB

Going to dump mods and thoughts here, so I can find later

no good pics yet but, not many mods either.
    Have taken off pillion pegs, put on seat cowl (no + model in Australia), and added S3 Performance bar end mirrors ($125-140 through Ebay) they are well made and all alloy. 60x110mm glass, so a bit small, but see hwo they go

smaller than stock, but sit just that much further out (turned in) or a lot more (turned out)
    if they turn out to be not good enough, will buy the larger OEM Triumph mirrors from Street/Speed RS (OEM are T2060666, and bigger than their aftermarket ones, but plastic shell)

note that stock mirrors and their locknuts are LEFT HAND threads, but the adapter into the clamp are RIGHT HAND threads

to remove stock weights, there is a tab top and bottom that needs to be pushed in a little and then it slides out.
    on LHS, just peel back the grip a little, push in the tabs, and pull out th einternal bar weight
    on RHS, need to remove mirror/brake clamp and pull forward, unscrew front cover of switch block (2 black screws), unscrew the 4 silver screws inside (not the funny looking one at the top), then slid off the throttle tube, push in the tabs, and pull out the internal bar weight
    Name:  mirrors1-sml.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  mirrors2-sml.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  947.8 KB

triumph OEM one
    Name:  triumph_T2060666.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  30.2 KB
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 09-04-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Member #
    compared to previous bike. taller, a bit more forward, and a fair chunk shorter
    Name:  20a57rp.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  126.4 KB

rear axle dimensions, and rear shock mount dimensions
    Name:  STAND-mounting points.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  112.9 KB

possible rear spindle design
    Name:  rear spindles.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  47.7 KB

R&G's rear spindle solution
    Name:  2mzxvlg.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  137.4 KB

rear shock top mount, could it be a hoist point?
    Name:  CB-shock-stand.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  109.9 KB

Member #
    need to get M8x1.25x15 button head socket screws for the pillion peg holes, and M10x1.25(?)x15 for capping the mirror post holes.
    then another 3 M8's for the swingarm number plate bracket for when that comes off..

now looking at Pro-Bolt aluminium dome head socket screws... Exspendy tho! but pretty... ($31 for 9 bolts.. and abot same price in every country?)
    https://www.probolt-australia.com/al...dome-head.html
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 09-07-2018 at 08:20 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looks good mate, bar end mirrors make a real difference aesthetically and practically, Honda should have made similar stock I think. BTW, how much was the rear cowl and did you buy it through a Aus dealer or online?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Apri11 View Post
    Looks good mate, bar end mirrors make a real difference aesthetically and practically, Honda should have made similar stock I think. BTW, how much was the rear cowl and did you buy it through a Aus dealer or online?
    yeah, mirrors look way better, but almost all the aftermarket ones are too small (these are slightly larger than average). the Triumph OEMs bar end mirrors are about as big as the stock honda ones, and must be ADR.
    big bar ends don't look so sexy, and maybe they thought a harder sell?

I bought QS and Seat Cowl as part of original purchase, from the dealer...
    seat cowl was $315.70
    Quickshifter was $960.30 (not fitted)

i really didn't get a discount overall ($275?) but tbh i didn't really care partly because the Aus base price is not bad, and.. wayyy cheaper than the SPeedy RS.

got prices for all the other acc as well, but can't remember exactly...
    heated grips were around $500
    visor was? 200 or 300

fair to say the dealer was generally shocked at the accessory prices... both retail and their cost price!

ed: also noticing the cowl rubs on the seat... wonder if it will damage it over time? may need to get a little foam taken out from where they touch
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 09-04-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    yeah, mirrors look way better, but almost all the aftermarket ones are too small (these are slightly larger than average). the Triumph OEMs bar end mirrors are about as big as the stock honda ones, and must be ADR.
    big bar ends don't look so sexy, and maybe they thought a harder sell?

I bought QS and Seat Cowl as part of original purchase, from the dealer...
    seat cowl was $315.70
    Quickshifter was $960.30 (not fitted)

i really didn't get a discount overall ($275?) but tbh i didn't really care partly because the Aus base price is not bad, and.. wayyy cheaper than the SPeedy RS.

got prices for all the other acc as well, but can't remember exactly...
    heated grips were around $500
    visor was? 200 or 300

fair to say the dealer was generally shocked at the accessory prices... both retail and their cost price!

ed: also noticing the cowl rubs on the seat... wonder if it will damage it over time? may need to get a little foam taken out from where they touch

Wow, those prices are outrageous. Interested in the QS but not for $960, is the installation and configuring straight forward?

Member #
    yeah, eye watering eh? would not have purchased later, but could turn blind eye at point of sale

the cowl is light and.. almost flimsy.. and if it damages the main seat i'll be pissed... but, looks good
    Cowl also means no tail pack, but am planning to make a tail pack adaptor using the cowl attachment point dimensions.. so can just click it on when needed.

QS installation
    http://powersports.honda.com/documen...70-MKJ-D00.pdf
    not convinced the tank needs to come totally off.. depends on size of hands?
    apart from tank, it looks pretty easy, and instructions have enough pictures

For initialisation, check out this video for a visual guide

you do need to bridge the DLC connector, but that's green and light green wires so is easy.
    Have tried to cheaply source a Sumitomo MT or HM 090 4 pin plug, but shipping is like $20 for outside Oz (or china for 5 connector sets, delivered by November..)

I did look at other QS options (HM, Healtech, Dynojet, and a few others), but not all of them are up and down, and some need like PCV module to do it, and some connect direct to coils or injectors....
    I figured at least the Honda one is both ways, and it is the ECU itself doing the cut, not extra wires on coils.
    The OEM is not a downshift blipper, but it really doesn't need blipper with such a slick close ratio box.

I was going to wait to install later but..... hmmm.. effect on warranty? warranty of the QS itself? think they were going to charge about $300 to fit.... decisions...

Member #
    This is the plug need to get to for QS install, could do with just raising tank i think.
    this is just looking in, nothing unbolted
    Name:  21l0pao.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  580.1 KB

and.. mirrors Name:  mirrors3.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  938.1 KB

I should mention... absolutely no mirror vibration that I have noticed yet.
    very impressed with the quality of the S3 mirrors.. just wish the glass was about 1cm wider and taller for a better view
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 09-07-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Apri11 View Post
    Wow, those prices are outrageous. Interested in the QS but not for $960, is the installation and configuring straight forward?
    They certainly are and that QS---------------WOW.

With a bit of practise it's easy to get the gear change down to a tenth of a second anyway.----------------
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    They certainly are and that QS---------------WOW.

With a bit of practise it's easy to get the gear change down to a tenth of a second anyway.----------------
    695 euros in France.. (page 18)
    i did think the $500 (360 euro) heated grips were a bit rude.... especially when Oxfords are $150, and i'd like to change grips to be a bit longer anyway

yes, downshift on closed throttle is no issue, and upshift is not that hard either... but after test riding a few bikes with QS.. i couldn't not get it if an option and full power shift is so much fun

is also about preventing clutch hand from getting tired on a long day as well.. no need to squeeze clutch as much during day.. until crappy traffic jams on the way home.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links