I'm out guys - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm out guys

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I think I promised you guys some sort of review. So off your bored and wanna hear me rammble and deal with my terrible grammar here you go.

So this spring I managed to sell my beloved 2011 cb for $7100 and turn stopping and upgrade to a 2014 KTM superduke for a like over 3k more. Just so we are not compairing 7k CBs to 17k sdrs.

After about 2000 miles, a trip to the deals gap area and a track day at NCM I think I'm finaly settled in.

The CB was an amazing bike. I can't say that enough. I did actually have a panicky moment after I sold it that I had mad a hug mistake but ive overcame that.

The CBs only short coming was the track for me. I could no longer justify a track bike doing o my 3-4 track days a year but couldn't use the CB bc even after all I had done to it (ohlins, 180/60 rear) I couldn't escape the ground clearance issues at the track and even as reward as it is the pass full on sport bikes on a naked I got tires of getting drug down the straits by 600s. That said I'm going to miss the buttery smoothness of the motor and the do no wrong confidence that the CB inspired.

Superduke vs CB

Feel and handling:

Seating position on the ktm felt instantly familiar although higher than the cb. The ktm is notcably lighter and narrower than the cb. Even with the damper the geometry of the KTM makes it more nervous/flickable. Handling wise the KTM needs to be ridden more aggressively where I always felt the cb did no wrong and made going fast Easy.

Take a random intermediate rider off a 600 and have him ride both he would probably go faster on the cb at least at first.

On the street both bikes are amazing to ride and will easily beat up on most sportbikes. The cb motor is beautifully smooth where the KTM is just earth shattering

Suspension:
    Let's be honest I'm. Fat so it's requied i rework my suspseion on every bike but the cb rear shock needed to go in the trash. The cb front was salvageable. The KTM is on the soft side(I've already resprung the rear) but the wp stuff is just better kit.

Brakes:
    Same as suspension. The cb stiff was nice after I changed lines and pads but the m50s on the SDR are amazing. I couldn't believe how much more feel and confidence I had at the track. Still not 100% sure how I feel about abs.

Motor:
    I'm not going to compare up here bc that's not fair. Both have great motors for different reasons.

The CB had the most smooth linear motor I've ever ridden. It has power everywhere and beautiful fueling.

The KTM is very 2faced. Stay under 5k rpms and i sware my grandma could ride it. It just thumps and pulls so smoothly and effortlessly, Not intimidating at all. Cross the 5k rpm line and the motor completely changes. that's where the beast lives. 3rd gear roll on power wheelies with wheelie control on. It will but bike lengths on bmw s1000rrs up till about 120 when they pick up steam and claw back but man it's it exilleratingly fast.

Any questions I'll add to this getting tired some in going to give up for now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    533 times
    Nice review mate ...... it's always nice when you know you have made the right choice.

Member #
    Very nice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Very nice. Might be a weird question, but how's the seat? I got spoiled with the 919 seat (modified by Spencers Seat Mods). I am saving up for a Corbin for the CB1R. Bought a gel pad for the pillion seat, but it still doesn't help that one. I have just over 4k miles now and I feel like I am just starting to finally break the rider seat in.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 919toCB1R View Post
    Very nice. Might be a weird question, but how's the seat? I got spoiled with the 919 seat (modified by Spencers Seat Mods). I am saving up for a Corbin for the CB1R. Bought a gel pad for the pillion seat, but it still doesn't help that one. I have just over 4k miles now and I feel like I am just starting to finally break the rider seat in.
    I don't mind the seat. My only complaint is there is a power parts seat some people rave about so I'm wondering if I should up grade.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The one thing I forgot to add..

Somehow the KTM is not only more aggressive and capable on the racetrack. At 6'1 it's somehow more comfortable for light touring. It fits me better than any bike ive ever ridden. Still might need rear sets or just risers as I destroyed my boots at the last track day.

Last edited by RideRed; 05-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Member #
    Thanks for the quick answer. I'll have to take a look at that seat option as well. Wow. Do they make metal toe sliders for your boots?

Never mind.....that seat is KTM specific....
    Last edited by 919toCB1R; 05-16-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Shit, now I want one lol
    2014 CB1000R
    2014 Mustang GT

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    Shit, now I want one lol
    I feel your pain, but I also like the BMW1000s.......I love my CB and Honda reliability, so i'm hoping Honda will get off their butt and update our beloved CB!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Steve View Post
    I feel your pain, but I also like the BMW1000s.......I love my CB and Honda reliability, so i'm hoping Honda will get off their butt and update our beloved CB!
    Oh yeah, me too. I agree with ALL of that.
    2014 CB1000R
    2014 Mustang GT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links