Fork Seal Issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork Seal Issue

Member #

Fork Seal Issue

Hi all, Went to get on the bike and discovered oil leaking from the left fork. The bike only has 5,000km on it but has been a demonstrator and warranty is over. How many km should you get out of a set of seals under normal riding conditions, my old bike had done 13,500km with no problems at all. I would have thought you would get 30-50,000 kms before seeing an issue like this?

I have come to the conclusion that this bike has been hammered in it's short life before I got it. Just wished I had the xtra to get a new one at the time

Member #
    Liked
    257 times

Re: Fork Seal Issue

Bought mine second hand. It Now has 12000 miles on. Changed the fork seals only because I had the tubes anodised. Nothing wrong with them before I did this. Maybe they have worn becuase of heavy excessive breaking. Just a thought
    One Life. Live it to its full. Black ones are the fast ones

R I P Simoncelli

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I don't think it's down to being an ex demo, the main concern there would be engine/gearbox abuse.
    Plenty of the CBs on here are ridden "Briskly" it's probably just down to bad luck that the seal has failed so soon, others on here will know of folk who pop the seal in a few km's and others who go to very high mileage with no probs, fork seals one of those parts that are unpredictable in how long they last, I've not heard that the CB is any worse than others.

Given it is an ex demo with low km's I'd be pushing the dealer to do the decent thing and waive the wArranty in this case, at the very least he should at least do it at cost , Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Wouldnt worry like Rainy says its a seal it can last years or months one of them things,sometimes a stone can hit the fork slider putting a small mark with rough edges on it that will also make the oil weep out,or if your bike is used in all weathers dirt can get inside the seal itself,leaver out the dust seal on the leg and see if any grit dirt has built up in it,sometimes on the dirt bikes i slide a really thin feeler gauge between the leg and seal and go all the way round with it this sometimes works too,if you were local i,d put a seal in for you not to hard a job

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by blade
    Wouldnt worry like Rainy says its a seal it can last years or months one of them things,sometimes a stone can hit the fork slider putting a small mark with rough edges on it that will also make the oil weep out,or if your bike is used in all weathers dirt can get inside the seal itself,leaver out the dust seal on the leg and see if any grit dirt has built up in it,sometimes on the dirt bikes i slide a really thin feeler gauge between the leg and seal and go all the way round with it this sometimes works too,if you were local i,d put a seal in for you not to hard a job

What Blade said, I replaced fork seals on my YZ450 after the first outing! You probably got a nick on the fork which you can go look for.
    2011 Honda CB1000R
    2011 Yamaha VMax, 2011 Triumph S3, 2010 Yamaha YZ450F Supermoto, 2009 Ducati Hypermotard, 2006 Husky SM610
    gallery.php?u=2961
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1070 ... bums?hl=en

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by artmack

What Blade said, I replaced fork seals on my YZ450 after the first outing! You probably got a nick on the fork which you can go look for.
    Had that myself,need a bit of the finest wet & dry with a squirt of WD40 and polish it smooth again

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Just be a bit careful if you go to Bladey's place, the term 'let me push my small feeler up yer seal ' may not be exactly what you expected.....

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by rainman

Just be a bit careful if you go to Bladey's place, the term 'let me push my small feeler up yer seal ' may not be exactly what you expected.....
    I been told a small feeler would be no good to you as use the long metal Dyson handle on yourself

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Wot I do wiv me Hoover harms no one, unlike you and yer lil seal breaker,

sam
    Member #

Mine leaked after 18months and 6k got it done on warrenty no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links