Honda CB1000R Forum banner

How to Remove the tail?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mel b 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the exact steps for removal of tail fairing?

And also the radiator shrouds?

#7 ·
How to remove the tail fairing - I assume you mean the monstrosity that holds the number plate.
You can see a video on it if you go to the "Mustard Racing" website - they sell a Tail Tidy and show a video on how to remove the monstrosity and wiring.
However - it is massively easier if you remove the rear wheel - in fact after removing the rear wheel there was 2 tabs/flat brackets that had the number plate wiring captured under them. They were retained with 2 large Phillips Head screws which required a hand held impact driver to loosen. I could not do this if the wheel was still fitted.
The actual monstrosity is retained with 3 bolts - easy. You will need to follow the number plate wiring and after removing those 2 tabs there are other plastic "fish hook" style retainers which can be removed by squeezing together the tangs and levering out the retaining clip. The Mustard video shows this pretty good. The other option is to cut the wiring in a "easy to rejoin" place.
I repeat - every thing was easier with the rear wheel removed.
Hope this helps - Ray.

#8 ·
How to remove the radiator shrouds.
The outer silver aluminium/tin panel (the bit with the "CB100R" imprint) is retained with 2 tiny socket head screws. After removing them very carefully peel the silver panel off the plastic base part because they are retained under the front edge with Velcro - peel back carefully and peek inside - you will see the Velcro and should hear it coming apart.
This leaves the black plastic base - 3 simple socket head screws - 2 on the side and one on the top.
I have removed mine because even though the shrouds are a nice design, they draw my attention to the radiator which I don't like (its personal) - the front of the bike looks much narrower and simpler - I used a couple of nice socket head screws to blank off the 2 holes in the edge of the radiator. I have noticed no difference in my running/operating temperature.
Hope this helps - Ray.

#9 ·
That guy asked about the radiator shrouds 8 years ago.--------------:hello

#13 ·
You're most welcome. Personally I like to have a read of old posts from time to time. ( Not getting at you.---:kiss---Just being factual. )

Some of the posts from 10 years ago, when there were less restrictions on the forum, were REAL eye openers.

Would get you hung drawn and quartered today.------:laugh

#11 ·
There's no point deleting useful information like this as it will benefit someone at sometime in the future. Ok, so the question was a while ago....doesn't mean it won't help someone in some way. Keep the "how tos" coming guys. I'm sure we all appreciate anyone who takes the time out to help. That's what forums like this are all about. It's all good.:thumbup

#14 ·

Attachments

#12 ·
Colvert - well f..k me - I will think carefully before spending/wasting my time in the future - thanks for pointing that out - I didn't know that.
Sarcasm, I like it Ray :rollin

No need to delete at all "Let the Good Times Roll" - like Eddie says it's a very helpful post. .... :respekt

I think Colvert was jumping the gun somewhat (calm down Col and take your meds).

"edsdover" had revived it probably because the information would be helpful to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.