muffler cover refresh
    Member #
    Liked
    244 times

muffler cover refresh

In the midst of another project today, I had to 'down tools' for a couple hours, so I thought I'd clean up the muffler, which was getting more than a bit grotty. Also, I'd dumped the bike at low speed on some gravel a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd buff out the scrapes. Long story, short: a wire brush wheel on a drill and considerable time sorted out the (minor) scrapes pretty well... but then the rest of the muffler looked REALLY dull! Well, that's just the alu oxidizing, and as any good chemist knows, acids cut that just fine. So, vinegar on paper towel... Works a treat! ( p.s. I was a chemist in a 'previous life'... you're welcome!)

Name:  20190616_162759M.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  20190616_162839M.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  101.8 KB

Next purchase: wax to seal the fresh surface...
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    so, this got me thinking. is there any treatment of any kind that will protect the alu surface from oxidation? ordinary waxes will certain not withstand the heat... I assume the same is true of clear coats? which leaves anodizing, which is an expensive process...

so, maybe it just comes down to a yearly wipe-down with vinegar? ( and p.s. further reading makes it sounds like i should have followed that up with a neutralizing rinse with baking soda... makes chemical sense... )
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Prevent the surface from oxidisation ??????

Paint it heat resistant black like many owners have done.

Sponsored Links