Forks - oil top up
    Member #

Forks - oil top up

Hi guys,

After pressure washing the bike the other day I noticed that one of my forks was leaking oil. I have ordered one of the fork seal cleaning tools as I am hoping that somehow some dirt has been wedged in.

If that is the case and after a clean the leaking stops. Can I top up the oil without removing the forks from the bike? I did this on my old bandit but have never played around on USD forks.

An help would be great thanks.

Jon

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb_666 View Post
    Hi guys,

After pressure washing the bike the other day I noticed that one of my forks was leaking oil. I have ordered one of the fork seal cleaning tools as I am hoping that somehow some dirt has been wedged in.

If that is the case and after a clean the leaking stops. Can I top up the oil without removing the forks from the bike? I did this on my old bandit but have never played around on USD forks.

An help would be great thanks.

Jon
    Not worth the bother of opening them up unless they're ready for a service.
    If it had lost an amount that was serious, your front end would be plastered with oil.
    In reality, it's likely to be less than a thimbleful.
    Make sure you sort the seals out properly, either with a sealmate or a bit of 35mm negative.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Not worth the bother of opening them up unless they're ready for a service.
    If it had lost an amount that was serious, your front end would be plastered with oil.
    In reality, it's likely to be less than a thimbleful.
    Make sure you sort the seals out properly, either with a sealmate or a bit of 35mm negative.
    How can you tell how much you have lost ?? Also how much can you lose and still have the damping working.

Mine have been leaking now for over five years but still seem to be damping and not bouncing.-----
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
    How can you tell how much you have lost ?? Also how much can you lose and still have the damping working.

Mine have been leaking now for over five years but still seem to be damping and not bouncing.-----
    Simple answer....you can't tell.
    But if it's anything substantial, the lower stancions would be covered.
    A bit of misting is neither here nor there...unless it's over a few years.
    If yours are still damping, there must be sufficient oil to restrict piston movement.
    Unless of course it's sludge.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Simple answer....you can't tell.
    But if it's anything substantial, the lower stancions would be covered.
    A bit of misting is neither here nor there...unless it's over a few years.
    If yours are still damping, there must be sufficient oil to restrict piston movement.
    Unless of course it's sludge.
    Sludge---Yikes !!!

AS it's only leaking OUT it's probably still clean inside and not sludge. It looks clean when wiped with a clean tissue.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Sponsored Links