Are you using the correct battery voltage!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Am i you using the correct battery voltage-amp hour !

just curious all. on fitting my battery wrong the way around recently..i noticed my battery fitted to the bike is 12v 8AH when bought recently.. in the manual it says use 12v 10AH battery..i only posted this thread to see if its still ok or could it lead to future issues..as i have come across many posts that the cb is having starting issues later down the line..and one very interesting post about one guy took his bike to honda dealer after 8 months starting problems to find he was using cheaper brand battery that did not have enough power to turn the bike over on startup mostly when the bike is all ready warmed up..as the cb starter motor turns over slower on the cb than some other bikes..hence needs that bit more battery power,, my bike starts ok but i have not even rode it yet as its in storage till spring only just got it. im not saying i am right but what do you all think!
    Last edited by tachyon67; 11-25-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    If it starts the bike OK then don't worry about it until it happens. With a lower capacity battery it means that as it ages and loses some of its capacity your starting problems will come sooner rather than later.
    When you do eventually have to renew then you can go for the higher rated battery.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    It may struggle more under cold starts. With more chance of draining quicker. If kept on a optimiser then that would help.

I would hope Hondas designers would spec a slightly higher rated battery to reduce the above. What you have fitted may be basically on the limit .

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    just update on what i have come to learn about 12V 10A 190-CCA stock battery from new ..to 12V 8A aftermarket battery i have fitted.. the amp is not as important as the - high cold start cranking power 190 - CCA -EN STOCK ) this is the same as my battery not the best make but it has the same 190cca even though mine is 8A Leoch LTZ10-4 Gel Motorcycle battery. (YTZ10-S)...i think this is the right info it may help ..anyone using lower CCA-EN cold start example like 170cca..or it may mean nothing to do with starting issues im sure someone will put me straight..also if you looking for good quality battery in the uk same spec as mine jut cost more.. uk check here link..

Genuine Honda Yuasa YTZ10S 12V High Performance AGM Motorbike Motorcycle Battery | eBay

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Ya, it's as you say. So long as you have the correct CCA it will be fine. Amp-hour is simply how much amperage can be delivered over an hours time. It's calculated using current, but it's a capacity measurement rather than an actual current measurement. Current is what cranks the bike and you only use it for a couple seconds, not an hour. Typically, larger AH batteries will have higher CCA ratings, but as you have found, battery construction and materials also play a huge factor. However, you can get batteries with over-inflated CCA claims, especially off-brand stuff, so you have to be careful. The battery in these bikes is already undersized, so you definitely don't want less amperage. I'd be interested in seeing how these different batteries would compare in an actual load test.

When the Yuasa I currently have installed dies, I'm going to lithium. I'm tired of the constantly marginal battery and want to up the amps. Lithium has twice+ the CCA as lead/acid for the same space. I am thinking of building my own bank with a custom charge controller. Price will determine if I go with a pre-built or a stupidly overbuilt homegrown one. My guess is I will be building one since most good lithiums on the market are still overpriced. Also, if a cell or circuit fails, i can just fix it instead of scrapping the whole thing. I'm tired of getting stranded and needing to replace AGM batteries every couple years. I ride nearly every day and use a maintenance charger, so it's not from sitting.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    DELuth, interesting your experience with the OEM battery getting weak. I rode all year, including cold starts as low as about 3C ( 40F). never had a problem in 4 years and over 100,000 kms. I ran it flat a couple times in the tail end of that time, and replaced it ( again with OEM), but I would not call it 'marginal'. ( except maybe for intermittent use...)
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    It's probably just easier to pump that thin Canadian air.

It's just too small, IMO. A 12 or 14AH would be more appropriate in a street 1000cc, but Honda had to do what they had to do. Space and weight are always at a premium on sport bikes. They always get the smallest batteries they can get away with.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Hi guys, my bike is 7 years old in April and I'm still on the same battery, Ive only covered 4200 miles and its been on a battery optimiser since new
    It still starts first stab on the button no problem and always has, I might treat myself to a new battery this spring, Im thinking about selling the CB just
    for a change, but not just yet. I love the bike, its just so mean!
    Watch out for them tractors!

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    My first battery lasted 6 1/2 years with an occasional charge. 20,000 miles.

The latest 18 month old battery goes on a trickle charger now.

If I had done that with the OEM unit I reckon it might still be going strong today. With a 'just big enough' battery an optimate charger is a must.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Yeah Colvert,
    I know you have looked after your batteries the same as me, I guess it will probably last his summer ok
    but why take the chance, it will only fail eventually and cause a ball ache somewhere down the line Ha!

a quick story.

Not long ago I went out to work one frosty morning jumped in my Toyota press start and BANG!!! like a gunshot, the battery exploded
    quickly got out, scared the shit out of me, checked tyres for a blowout, up with the bonnet and the battery was split in half
    like it had been chopped with an axe, you could put your hand through the split! acid everywhere. Out with the baking powder
    and Bicarb its all i had. Got it out and hosepiped the engine bay down, New battery and all good, not nice, it pays to change your battery about 5 years
    if your smart if not before!
    Watch out for them tractors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links