Recommended engine oil? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    T6 only comes in 5w40... And I checked the bottle, mine says MA rated, not MA2 so stand corrected on that one, but JASO MA is good for me... I change my oil often, more than needed probably... So it's nice to do it for under $30

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Plus with gallon jugs, every 3-4 oil changes you have enough leftovers for a free change Haha just replace filter

Member #
    All, what I can read here still means, that there is no clear recomendation, which oil we should use

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tytus View Post
    All, what I can read here still means, that there is no clear recomendation, which oil we should use
    You are worrying too much.-----------------------------
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tytus View Post
    Crystal clear, actually.

Name:  oil1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  101.3 KB
    Name:  oil2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  90.7 KB

Just keep in mind, it is a RECOMMENDATION! Using a slightly different weight or type of oil isn't the end of the world. If you want to run synthetic, go for it. If you are on a budget, normal oil is just fine. A lot of it is personal preference and anecdotal evidence. The most important thing is to change it often. Does anybody go the full 8000 miles like the book says? I sure don't! Like Colvert said, you are over-thinking it.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    I change every 2500-3k miles... Riding season all year here so never have a seasonal change

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Same here, every 2500-3k riding all year. The oil is quite dirty by 3000 miles with all of the clutch abuse and WOT riding my poor bike endures.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    That Rotella may well meet the JASO spec but I'm pretty sure it falls short of API SJ as specified by Honda. Why skimp on oil to save a few pounds/dollars etc ? It's a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild !
    Black,Honda seat cowl,Akrapovic open exhaust system,carbon fibre under seat side covers,sprocket guard & front cowl,PC III,Evotech Tail Tidy & Crash Protectors,Ermax bellypan,carbon hugger,Pazzo levers,Beowulf stainless steel rad guard.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Just put castrol power 1 racing fully synth 10-30 into mine with a new oil filter. Why because its the same as what most UK Honda dealers should be putting in. If Honda and their dealers are happy then so am I. Plus picked it up for a good price. My personal feeling is fully synth for the ex fireblade engine considering the price I paid. I also have a soft spot for Castrol having done work a few years ago in Swindon at Burma Castrol and seeing the experts hard at work.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DELuth View Post
    Source?

The US manual calls for non-syn Pro Honda GN4 10-30 or 10-40 if in a hot environment. HP4 is the semi-syn and is not mentioned in the manual. Obviously, it would be perfectly fine to run if not better, but it isn't the oil recommended in the manual. It's possible the UK manual is different, though.

To the OP, so long as you use the correct weight and stay away from automotive oils, you will be fine with non-syn, semi-syn, or full-syn.
    I've been using this oil in my bike. 2nd change now and the oil looks more used than amsoil or belray oils I've used on other bikes. Sometimes my dirt bike oil looks brand new and that bike is rode way harder.

This time I may change with fully syn oil. I'm not too sure why honda would recommend semi oil. I've heard in racing the semi is better for a wet clutch but it's changed hourly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links