DIY Tire balancing
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times

DIY Tire balancing

I always mount & balance tires on everything I own. However, I have never had a single sided single arm bike with no bearings in the wheel. I use a static balancer that essentially pinches a rim onto a steel bar w/ bearings. My issues was that no one lists what size adapter to use for the drive/hub side of the rear wheel. The non drive side of the front wheel is very small and my universal balancing cones fit fine. The driver side is very large and actually tapers down, it was going to need a special cone.

I did some looking around & found Motorcycle Wheel Balancer Marc sells motorcycle tire balancers and cones. I got with Marc and took some measurements. We concluded that the VFR cone was almost an exact match. Marc has a VFR cone for sale and shipped it out. I can now confirm that the VFR balancing cone he sells works great.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. Not even the Honda dealerships around me are equipped to balance the CB1000R wheels, it's quite sad. There is essentially no dealer support here in the US for these bikes. You UK guys hit gold especially with dealers like Doble.

Here is the cone:

Name:  CNV.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  39.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    ​All the dealers over here use dynamic balancers. Don't you find the need for that as well as static balancing ???
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Your are correct, dynamic is superior. However, I haven't ever the need for dynamic on a motorcycle. Generally motorcycle wheels are narrow enough to get by with static. I always use dynamic on my automotive wheels do to width. I have always had great success with static balancing but I have heard of people still having vibration issues. In this instance it would be advisable to dynamic balance motorcycle wheels. You can also split up the weight on a static balancer to simulate a dynamic balance, it takes some skill/practice but can be done.

That being said I would love to have my motorcycle wheels dynamic balanced. There just aren't any shops or dealerships around me that use a computerized dynamic wheel balancer for motorcycle wheels, most use the same static balance I use (even BMW.) Secondly, the rear wheel would be easy enough to dynamic balance on an automotive dynamic balancer but the front would be much harder due to the bearings. Third, I'm cheap and static balancing is very easy.

I'm sure if you are in a much larger city in the USA you could readily come across shops that dynamic balance motorcycle tires, just not around my location.

Sponsored Links