Tracks, speed and groups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Tracks, speed and groups

How many people here are track junkies?

Am thinking it would be a fabulous holiday to organise a trip to various tracks in Europe and the UK and ride. Only every country has different groups etc. And am wondering what they are.

In Oz my associates and I ride in A group, but then we are only approximately 10-15 seconds off various track records, which in other countries may be deemed too slow for A group, or whatever else they may call it. It may affect our choices, as the fastest group generally has less people, and people don't complain if you overtake them on the inside, which is not allowed in other groups in Oz.

Curious to see how tracks are run elsewhere.

(And there, I have outed myself as to speed as only being moderately fast, so that little girl that wanted to 'take me on' can easily judge from the above how well she would have stacked up, with neither of us ever having to concern ourselves with blue sirens and the like. )
    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. (W. C. Fields)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Re: Tracks, speed and groups

Here, we got novices, intermediate and fast groups. I only know one fellow rider in a fast group. I am in middle group on known tracks but if it is a new one...will start off the day in the novices group.
    Fast group at Brands is usually track bikes/ mad talented bods. They are that fast they don't seem to bother with knee down capers !
    CLUB MSV, http://www.clubmsv.com/ own/run most of the track times. They now do 20 minute taster sessions which is a brillo idea at tempting people.
    They will not allow showboaters into lower groups. It can be a bit of a bummer sometimes that above novices group, I have been the only one who has rode the bike to the venue, without tyrewarmers, trackbike, etc.....but saying that, after a few laps
    Average track price here.......hmmm, allow £130.

Member #

Mostly agree with what Giggity has said however showboaters are not tolerated in any group & not just the novice group, no wheelies permitted at all (except at the Mountain at Cadwell Park) and questionable riding is usually taken care of by a quiet word being had with the offending person.

A good source of dates is: -

http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/

however I wouldn't book through them as it is usually cheaper (£5 - £10) to go directly to the organiser.

Apart from MSV I would also look at Focused Events (UK & Europe): -

http://www.focusedevents.com/index.asp

Tracksense (Europe only): -

http://www.tracksense.co.uk/trackdatesprices.htm

MSV charge £25 (I think) for tuition for one session whilst Focused Events offer (or at least used to offer) free tuition / pointers, no idea what Tracksense provide.

Some organisers also have the ability to hire you a bike for the day though a word of warning, make sure that you have sole use of the bike otherwise your day could be over because someone else in another group breaks / smashes the bike and you're left with nothing to ride.

Brands Hatch or Silverstone trackdays are going to cost you at least £150 and depending on trackout layout being used could be as high as £200. Other tracks will be £80 - £120. If you want outright speed then look at Snetterton, history then Brands Indy or GP Circuit or Silverstone GP circuit, Cadwell Park is described as a mini Nurburgring though in my mind that is a bit of an exaggeration even though it is challenging, good fun and got me a ride in an air ambulance

Basically, you pays your money you makes your choice

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Thank you!

We would probably do what we do here and buy a track bike that can be trashed, pull out what can be salvaged then put together another one and so on. Knowing which tracks are the most fun is good.

Deliberate wheelie's are not allowed here either, and my only interest is going as fast as possible and racing the associates. Evening beer rights are important you know.
    Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake. (W. C. Fields)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Me freebie trackday tyre thingie is next week, change oil/K&N, remove all Akra carbon bling and replace OEM's , Poundland video , tape , double underpants , .......this is one time I wish I did'nt have ABS , gonna find out 'tho
    Anyone recon that a DB reader on a mobile phone owned by a customer is accurate enough @ 5k RPM ? ...slightly borderline
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

The Honda Riders Club runs track days in Auckland at Hampton Downs 2 or 3 times annually at around NZ$130 each = 70 UK pounds. Great fun, a must do even for old farts like me.
    Just do it! - from the Kiwi coke and speed addict.

Member #

That would be a nice easy trip! I wonder if its best to bring a track bike over or to buy one in NZ.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

By all accounts there could be several guys with bikes here that would be happy to have you play with their toys!
    Just do it! - from the Kiwi coke and speed addict.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hey giggity,, i just bought that camera I done a quick test run with it mounted in the same place but was a shocking angle?? hows yours, i couldnt seem to get her facing forward. Any other places you had it with a happy ending,, i mean result...

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy
    Hey giggity,, i just bought that camera I done a quick test run with it mounted in the same place but was a shocking angle?? hows yours, i couldnt seem to get her facing forward. Any other places you had it with a happy ending,, i mean result...
    erm....ozzy, it's a shite cam on a nudie bike. Mine is the older 2K one , maybe the newer versions are better
    Anyhows, here goes......place it as far to the right as poss, facing downwards...as if it's almost looking at the clocks ( lens must be offset or something ). Biggest problem is if the cam body gets below 8° ( an it will do with wind even on a warm'ish day ) it goes to error at speed , not a problem if the main body camera has wind protection.
    Nearly finished work, I'll try it out on the CB......but have serious doubt.
    However, it takes brutal punishment on mudpluggers, riding up and down concrete stairs across town at 5 am with the plate dirty does not bother it.........one would imagine
    Please don't utubie road stuff........there's other ways !
    Lets see, I tested it out on a thumper years ago when it were freezin' :
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bt100bt#g/u
    .........and we all agreed it was indeed for road use
    .....as The Goyle says " hope this helps "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links