16k service
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16k service

Member #

16k service

Time for the dreaded 16k service.....think I'll be giving Honda a swerve on this one though....£740?????? You're having a bubble....throw in a chain and sprockets and I'm looking at best part of a grand!!!

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    There's nothing you can't do yourself.

The plugs and valve clearances don't need checking at that mileage unless you can hear or feel something wrong.

Everything else is quick and easy. Been doing my own for the last eight years and everything works perfectly.

Besides, quite a lot of dealers mechanics are not as good as they think they are.--
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Yikes! That's a lot of money!

My 2 cents...

The plugs have iridium tipped electrodes and will be a waste of time and money to replace at such a low mileage. They will still be like new.

Unlike the plugs, there is a risk to skipping the valve adjustment. Contrary to popular belief, the valve adjustment on the majority of modern engines with mechanical valvetrains don't typically loosen and get noisy. They actually tighten and get quieter. Eventually, the lack of clearance starts preventing the valves from closing properly. That is a much bigger problem because it can easily go unnoticed until it is too late and a valve gets burned. I still didn't do it on mine at 16k and don't recommend letting them check yours, I just want to make sure you know the risk. If these engines were bad about valve clearance changing and/or burning valves, I feel like we'd have heard some horror stories by now. I will probably check mine at 32k for peace of mind since I can do it myself for the cost of a gasket and a few curses. Checking them isn't too hard, it's actually adjusting them that gets to be a pain since they are shim under bucket.
    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

My Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaCB1000R.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Good to know. My bike's just coming up on 16K, but as we're running out of summer here I was going to leave it until next spring to get everything checked out. Luckily because I ride like a girl my chain and sprockets look fine.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I do all my own servicing and its all easy enough. The only thing I didn't manage was chain and sprockets but my dad is handy at bikes so he just helped me. I've not done my Valves yet but as I've just got over 30k it might be for this winter along with the plugs

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Im at 13k and I'm going to remove my valve cover and check my valve clearances myself. If they are out of tolerance I'll truck it to the dealer with the tank off and have them redo the shims. I know its a bit early but I ride kind of hard. Doing plugs as well for the hell of it because I do not intend on taking this gas tank off for another 4 years of so after I am done.Name:  IMG_0632.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  699.0 KB

Member #
    Liked
    714 times
    The plugs work ten times harder than the shims.--If the plugs still look good it's probably worth not going to the trouble of looking at the shims.
    Personal Disclaimer:
    My thoughts are intended to provide a sounding board for your own.
    Some of what I say may go against your own thoughts and may seem harsh, targeted and malicious.
    This is not my intention – I am simply using my experience, including other peoples, as a way of debating and giving advice - of which there is no guarantee that it's correct

Member #
    Liked
    228 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JMToniolo View Post
    Im at 13k and I'm going to remove my valve cover and check my valve clearances myself. If they are out of tolerance I'll truck it to the dealer with the tank off and have them redo the shims. I know its a bit early but I ride kind of hard. Doing plugs as well for the hell of it because I do not intend on taking this gas tank off for another 4 years of so after I am done.Name:  IMG_0632.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  699.0 KB
    13k?

Mine needed zero adjustment at 16k. This is common. The engine has a very solid reputation for not needing adjustment at 16k..

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOne-94-14 View Post
    13k?

Mine needed zero adjustment at 16k. This is common. The engine has a very solid reputation for not needing adjustment at 16k..
    my 2012 needed (minor) re-shimming at 25,000 kms (16k miles). I recall 'in spec' but pretty much at the limits. checked again at 60,000 and they were in spec. checked again at 90,000 and they got re-shimmed again. I haven't checked the '13 yet ( 30,000 kms), and I probably won't do so until end of next season ( 40,000 - 50,000 kms); it's an expensive job! yrmv...
    piling the mileage on...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Maybe I'll wait till next winter then. Its not worth doing the plugs without checking valve shims because I still have to take a few more things off to get to the plugs. If I take all the stuff off I may as well check valve clearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links